Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2013, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Mbox 2 on Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

So am I correct that some of you are able to use PT LE 8 with NO restrictions, bummer issues, etc, etc, while some have to change the playback engine buffer to 2048?

For those of you with the latter problem, does it need to be set at 2048 for you to get sound while recording as well, or just on playback?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM

I did a small recording this morning and the only way to record a second track is and have playback of the first track is to have it at 2048 buffer. To get rid of the annoying latency sound of the second track I just muted it while recording. that's all I can say for now will be doing some more testing later today.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:02 PM

GerardGrundy thanks! It worked! Everything seems to be working good for me.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:51 AM

Bnote - Is buffer working normally or do you also have to set the playback engine to 2048?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM

I'm ruuning 8.0.5 on Mavericks w/ mbox 2 pro and have no issues! When switching though to mbox micro i'll get no sound out - so far unresolved issue...
Old 10-31-2013, 09:03 AM

Okay this is an interesting one.

I'm currently running an iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and a Macbook Unibody 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Both with the same Mbox2 Mini & Running with Logic X.

Both systems are on Mavericks.

The macbook works flawlessly with sound coming out. The iMac doesn't get any sound whatsoever.

Now this is the strange part, the iMac does get sound when playing video's from instagram through safari. Thats the only thing that my iMac will send audio through my mbox.

They have exactly the same drive & system settings as i cloned my hard drives.

Any got any ideas about this?

edit: It will also play Viemo videos.

So what gives, how do instagram & vimeo handle audio differently to OSX's own internal settings.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 PM

Goose22j Yeah i had to 2048

I am still getting a lot of static in my monitors tho...none through headphones. It seems to go away a bit after i play some stuff. I didn't have this issue until i updated to 10.9 so i don't think its my monitors. Anyone having this issue?

So far i have only gotten the mbox 2 mini to work in pro tools. No sound out of iTunes, Spotify or my desktop preview. I did get sound out of Facebook tho but nothing else on Safari.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 AM
nordlig

At first I had great sound from my Mbox2 from Mavericks, then after a few software updates (iLife) its was gone. I reinstalled the driver and removed the midi driver files to get it working again. Confirmed that by adding the midi driver files again to get no sound after reboot.

Recently i upgraded Java and the latest from Apple (iTunes, Mail) and it stopped working again. So I reinstalled the driver and now it works and I have not removed the midi driver files yet.

Edit: Installed the Mavericks camera raw update 14 Nov and the sound stopped working again - even after repairing permissions, reinstalling the driver, removing the midi files and rebooting. Cant get it to work again. One of the strangest installs i have made for sure.

Last edited by nordlig; 11-20-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Stopped working again and i cant get it to work
Old 11-11-2013, 01:16 AM

I have the Mbox 2 Pro with iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, same as jakebrownbass.

The recommendation not to upgrade my entire OS just because Pro Tools doesn't support some uninstallers and there are some 'Built-in Output' problems seemed irrelevant - I don't want to uninstall and I want to use my Mb2P.

Pro Tools works fine but the Mb2P doesn't. As soon as I switch it on it immediately shuts down the machine, without ejecting disks or saving data.

I reinstalled the 10.3.3 drivers and after a reboot or two and permissions repair it worked fine running PT and iTunes (not at the same time, I left PT to get some other work done with iTunes accompaniment), for about 3 songs. Then it forced a shut down again.

The problem doesn't seem to be with Mavericks/Pro Tools, but between Mavericks/Digidesign Hardware. The same thing happened when ML came out. The driver patch fixed it, IIRC.

Obviously there's been no patch from Avid, even though competitors are able to fire out hardware driver patches in rapid time (MOTU, for example, had drivers available the day after Mavericks was released).

My solution has been to upgrade my legacy OS partition. I have a partition dedicated to an older OS, purely so I can use Pro Tools/hardware. I will have to restart and boot into a legacy OS every time I want to work on Pro Tools until there's a driver patch released, if ever.

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo » 4GB RAM » Mbox 2 Pro » PT 10.3.4 » OS X 10.8.3 » Formac 500GB » Alesis M1 Active Mk2
Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 PM

Anything new on this? Has anyone found a way to get 8.0.5 to play nice with Mavericks without the latency issues?