Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2003, 05:52 PM

Default Re: DigiBase Feature Requests ... Please Post Here

>>>
It would be GREAT to have an easy way to either A Copy the File Comments in bulk to the Clip Name or B Have the option to have the File Comments be the name/partial name of the file in PT. Descriptions are EVERYTHING when trying to sort through a One Bin Audio Files list.
<<<

You can do this: create a catalog or several catalogs from your sound effects folders. Once you have your catalog, you can select "Copy Finder Comments to Clip Name" from the catalog mini-menu.

>>>
3 Mtools has a great function called Pull Lists. Pull lists let you choose a lot of files that you auditioned to a sub-list that can be bulk-imported directly into PT. These lists can also be saved for quick "re-searches" in the future. E.G - Fight scenes in TV show....Favorite Punches/BodyFalls/BoneCracks/Weapons right at your finger tips in PT without having to create a massive reorganization of folders and new catalogs.
<<<

Again, you can use catalogs for this. You can either select items from a browser and choose "Create Catalog From Selection" from the browser mini-menu or you can create an empty catalog in the workspace browser and create your pull list by drag & drop. You can also create a pull list by selecting search results and using the "Create Catalog From Selection" command.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:14 AM

Default DigiBase Feature Requests ... Please Post Here

I truly like where Digi is going with the Digibase solution to sound management. As a sound designer with about 200gb worth of sfx, it's great to be able to search and drag'n'drop files directly into ProTools. I know this is version 1.0 of Digibase, so I'm definitely NOT bitching .... however, I would like to pose a few features for the future (these are in no particular order, just stream of consciousness):

1) Retention of view choices .... When you close DB and reopen (especially) the Search window, it always resets to the default search view with ALL the drives selected. I've taken the time and effort to Catalog/Index my SFX drives and those Catalogs are ALL I want to search, or at least have the ability to make that my Default search. Not to mention column sizing and sorting. These would be great for retention ans well.

2) My libraries were ripped through Gallery's Mtools, whish means all the cool sfx descriptions are in the File Comments section. However, when you drag files into PT, it uses the Clip Name section to name the file in PT. The Clip Name defaults from the File Name. It would be GREAT to have an easy way to either A) Copy the File Comments in bulk to the Clip Name or B) Have the option to have the File Comments be the name/partial name of the file in PT. Descriptions are EVERYTHING when trying to sort through a One Bin Audio Files list.

3) Mtools has a great function called Pull Lists. Pull lists let you choose a lot of files that you auditioned to a sub-list that can be bulk-imported directly into PT. These lists can also be saved for quick "re-searches" in the future. E.G - Fight scenes in TV show....Favorite Punches/BodyFalls/BoneCracks/Weapons right at your finger tips in PT without having to create a massive reorganization of folders and new catalogs.

4) A CD Ripper with database and cataloging options would be really great too.

These are my top ideas for now.

Again ... I have to say that Digi is on the right track with DB, I just hope to see some improvements in the future releases/updates that will have Digi compete with other library software like Mtools, Soundminer, Gefen, or Msoft. I hope this starts a good discussion on the future of DB.

Cheers,
.:
naughty dog
Old 08-01-2003, 09:32 AM

Paul,

What about us Digi001 folks? We have no catalog option.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:49 AM

Hello. Chris those are features of DigiBase Pro, which is TDM only.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:36 AM

How about the ability to drag a quicktime movie directly to the edit window? It feels old-fashioned to have to "Import Movie..." and then "Import Audio From Current Movie...".

Just let me drag the movie to the edit window, auto-create a new audio and video track and there it is! Maybe a key shortcut for audio + video, video only, etc. would be needed.

Thanks,

Jeff D.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:15 PM

Paul,

Thanks for your response...

Uh ... yeah ... right there in the old PDF on digibase for those items. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Feeling a little silly...

Although I would like to see a "Copy from Name" addition. SFX created by me (not from a library rip) don't have Finder Comments, just a name. This would be really helpful.

Keep those ideas coming!!!

Cheers,
.:
naughty dog
Old 08-01-2003, 08:50 PM

How about the ability to print out an organized list of catalog entries?

I for one would also love to have something that printed out all the details of a given session.

Like how many plug ins were used, which ones, and how much DSP/System usage the session required.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:56 AM

So without DigiBase Pro I can't effectivly set up my system to search my SFX CDs?

Am I missing something here? What is the version of DigiBase that comes with LE intended to be used for other than searching for my SFX? Yes, yes, it's a lovely browser and it's fun auditioning SFX but without the descriptions it's a toy.

Paul, if it's really a toy just tell us BEFORE we re-rip all of our SFX. Have I really wasted 4 days?

By the way, when I type the comments in manualy, and select the 'File Comments' field for the search it doesn't work either. It will only search the name field no matter what field is selected.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:51 AM

Chris

mTOOLS works with all versions of both TDM and LE Pro Tools, on OS9 and OSX. It also includes *all* the functionality which has been requested here so far...shipping.

If you are still not convinced, and you still want to use the limited Digibase in LE....at least save yourself the pain of manually ripping the CDs. Gallery have a product called 'LibraryLoader' which is the 'ripping' end of mTOOLS. It automatically rips your SFX Cds, automatically inserting names and descriptions from the data for virtually every commercial SFX CD and thousands of production music CDs, which comes with LibraryLoader/mTOOLS. The files created are BWF files with embedded Digibase compatible descriptions. You can also have it cunjor up a short name for the file for clip-name purposes. There is a special intro offer at the moment, $299.

Although Digibase is a great starting point, high end post users have realised that it is not ready for the demands of large scale SFX Management at this point. These people continue to rely on mTOOLS. Very large catalogs, live, active data and pull list sharing between networked users, and many other advanced functions still require a dedicated, mature solution like mTOOLS.

If all the requested features are already part of mTOOLS, I think a bit of wheel re-inventing might be in progress....Perhaps Digi's limited resources should be spent on *innovation*, or supporting essential 3rd party applications with enabling technologies, rather than recreating and absorbing existing 3rd party functionality.

just my 2c.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Floberg:
So without DigiBase Pro I can't effectivly set up my system to search my SFX CDs?

Am I missing something here? What is the version of DigiBase that comes with LE intended to be used for other than searching for my SFX? Yes, yes, it's a lovely browser and it's fun auditioning SFX but without the descriptions it's a toy.

Paul, if it's really a toy just tell us BEFORE we re-rip all of our SFX. Have I really wasted 4 days?

By the way, when I type the comments in manualy, and select the 'File Comments' field for the search it doesn't work either. It will only search the name field no matter what field is selected.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 08-02-2003, 09:26 PM

Wouldn't mind a feature that didn't splatter digibase folders across anything that's mounted on
the desktop. Including ZIP discs. Also having to
eject ZIPS from protools instead of desktop is a
tad annoying.

Maybe I've missed a preference option that says
"do not take over all my mounted drives"??
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]