Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-18-2003, 09:21 PM

Default how can I best build a sound proof drum booth ?

please tell be the best isolation technic to acheive this or direct me to site that best explains this
Old 02-19-2003, 09:59 AM

Default Re: how can I best build a sound proof drum booth ?

Search the Internet and you'll find a bunch of opions on the subject. But I have to ask why sound proofed? Sound proofing (meaning: to stop most or all of sound tranmission from one space to another) is VERY expensive. Especially if you want complete silience. There are pre-fab isolation rooms with all the bells and whistles (like Whisperroom.com, etc.) but those aren't cheap and they don't completely stop all sound generated inside the room to the outside. I not trying to discourage you just inform you that this endevour will require space and money. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:23 AM

I once built one in my basement to give people upstairs a little break. I built a 2x4 room with a sliding glass patio door.
The outside was 5/8 dry wall,then 3 1/2" fiberglass insulation and for the inner wall surface I used 2x4'acoustic ceiling tiles.

You would get more isolation with soundboard or drywall on the iner wall,but I used the ceiling tiles to save money and dampen the sound inside.

This is not sound proof but a big improvement for people upstairs and I could record the drums in the booth and a guitar amp outside with little bleed.

If you want more isolation I would build a room within a room using 1x3 studs.

Two 1x3 walls not touching. Drywall only one side of each wall. 5/8 drywall on outside of outer wall, 1/2 drywall on inner side of inner wall. Fill both with 3 1/2" insulaion and seal all joints with silicone.Seal the bottom and top joints also.With this you would have to treat the inner walls with foam or something.

You could also use a common 2x6 floor plate and stager your studs,but then your walls will be coupled.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:35 PM

Wow that sounds pretty good. Remember once you do all that, you'll be losing 9 1/8" all the way around your spot. Doesn't sound like much until you lay it all out. I did a buddys room with 2"x4"'s /R30 insulation/ 1/2" drywall and greenboard....it's drywall thats 3/4" thick usually used in elevator shafts{comes in 2'x12' sections, and very heavy}. Did it 2x4's/ R30 in the bays -greenboard- 1/2" drywall- just mud the seams on the greenboard, then slap up the 1/2" drywall, your mud job doesn't have to be perfect, and works great!! Total width; 4 3/4" all around [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2003, 02:19 PM

what would the demensions of a drum room need do you think, max and min area ?
Old 02-19-2003, 03:00 PM

Go to your nearest book store or library and check out Time/Life Books' "Special Purpose Rooms". There are complete plans for building a basic recording studio in the book. It will tell you all you need to know to put together a great drum booth. There are also plans in the book for a building a "cloud". Make sure you build this at a minimum - it will really improve the sound of your drum tracks.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:29 AM

sounds good I built a studio in a detacthed garage, but I have the neighbor from hell and most the groups have drummers I believe the room within a room with R 30 insulation and a space from one wall to the next. sealing the joints with silicone I think will be key for bleeding. Now the trick will be to keep the low waves from traveling !