Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 06-25-2018, 04:48 AM

Default Re: iOS monitor control for MTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
Nice job!

I have a question, what is the protocol used by DADMan? Is it Eucon or their own thing? Is it published anywhere?

Cheers,

Pete

ps been listening to your music this morning, enjoying it very much

Thanks Pete!

It’s their own protocol, fairly straightforward to analyze as it’s all ASCII. I figured it out by watching traffic between my hardware MOM and DADman.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Thanks Pete!

It’s their own protocol, fairly straightforward to analyze as it’s all ASCII. I figured it out by watching traffic between my hardware MOM and DADman.
Good old Wireshark! Ah right, so it's not a general MTRX control, just for the MOM's limited range of functionality, that's boring.

Pete
Old 06-25-2018, 05:33 AM

Yeah, doing something more involved might be possible I guess – but it would likely involve injecting code inside of DADman and be correspondingly more fragile. Or, you could replace DADman entirely and talk directly to the MTRX (which the Colin Broad controller does), but that’s also somewhat more involved.

humour me: what things would you like to be able to control? I don’t find myself using DADman directly much except when I occasionally need to change sync settings or repatch.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:51 AM

I would be interested in replacing DADMan entirely, can't really say more - not being coy but just talking to someone about a particular post need who doesn't like DADMan!

Cheers,
Pete
Old 06-25-2018, 05:55 AM

I haven’t looked in much detail at the protocol between DADman and the AX32/MTRX but it could in theory be done. But I’d be less enthused about running a replacement for DADman in a production environment without the vendor’s blessing. Anyway, back to MOM.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:09 AM

I could understand wanting to "replace DADman" like the Colin Broad. The fact that you need to have DADman running on a computer is a bit annoying for control; it'd be nice to skip the middleman (also nice when you need to reboot the computer) and have direct communication with the AX32/MTRX.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
A few tips:
  • You can set custom names for sources and outputs in Settings
    <snip>
  • DADman can sometimes take a moment to reconnect, particularly if the app has been offline for some time. You can prevent your device from going to sleep when MOM is active by enabling Disable Idle Timer in its settings.
I can't seem to find these two possibilities. Which "Settings" for each of these. On the MOM tab in Monitor Profile Configuration, I can't seem to rename the source/outputs. The Switches remain named the same (1-2-3/A-B-C)

Same question for Disable Idle Timer. Is this on the iOS device? Seems that this setting can be set by the app developer (much like Avid do with their Control App) but I'm not seeing a user accessible option.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I could understand wanting to "replace DADman" like the Colin Broad. The fact that you need to have DADman running on a computer is a bit annoying for control; it'd be nice to skip the middleman (also nice when you need to reboot the computer) and have direct communication with the AX32/MTRX.

True – I've actually thought of having a little Windows machine running DADman that I could VNC into, but that's an expense I can't justify right now. At least the AX32/MTRX do continue to pass audio when DADman is not running. (I can also appreciate some of the engineering decisions that led to DADman being implemented this way, e.g. lack of EuCon client libraries on platforms other than Windows/Mac.)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I can't seem to find these two possibilities. Which "Settings" for each of these. On the MOM tab in Monitor Profile Configuration, I can't seem to rename the source/outputs. The Switches remain named the same (1-2-3/A-B-C)

Same question for Disable Idle Timer. Is this on the iOS device? Seems that this setting can be set by the app developer (much like Avid do with their Control App) but I'm not seeing a user accessible option.

iOS Settings app -> MOM
Old 06-26-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
I would be interested in replacing DADMan entirely, can't really say more - not being coy but just talking to someone about a particular post need who doesn't like DADMan!

Cheers,
Pete
DADMan is just ok. Its a necessary cumbersome extra layer in order to integrate ProTools with the Matrix or AX32. It would be nice to just work with one application when having to troubleshoot but in my experience I’m usually restarting ProTools way more than I am DADMan. I think its designed to be a set it and forget it type of program. Nowadays, most third party interface makers are designing their own versions of DADMan (Universal Audio, Focusrite, Etc.).

The Eucon protol between S6 and DADMan does get flakey from time to time. This is something I wish Avid would strengthen but I wonder if Avid and DAD are even still working together.