How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2020, 05:44 PM

Default Protools unable to communicate with midi HUI

Hello all,

I'm having a really hard time getting Protools to communicate with my Casio Midi keyboard in tracks for protools 2020.3.0

I am stuck with the nightmare error "Protools unable to communicate with HUI."

Whats interesting is that the Midi device DOES show up under Midi input devices, and I am able to select the device in Peripherals HUI and send it to my plugin grand piano, however I constantly get the error unable to communicate.

I am trying to connect the device via a stereo instrument track as per the recommended suggestions.

When I record in the track and hit the keyboard keys there is no signal level being displayed. I can use my mouse on the plugin which send a signal, but no signal when I use my key

My setup.
Windows 10 pro- Fully updated
Protools 2020.3
I am using a Casio CDP 130.

Verified correct drivers installed.
Verified Windows recognizes the device in device manager
Verified that the keyboard sends midi play-data with the program midi-ox.

I have looked at so many Youtube videos and forums for an answer. I have power cycled this device and restarted protools with in every order possible. Also running as administrator.

The fact that I can verify the device is sending data in midi-ox makes me believe this is a Protools issue.

Can anyone suggest any fixes?

One thought I had is that my keyboard should be able to send it's own grand piano sound, is this getting in the way of something? Do I need to run this through a plugin?
Old 04-08-2020, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Protools unable to communicate with midi HUI

For now, let's assume you just want to use Virtual Instrument plugins. Shooting from the hip, I think you are confused on which protocol to use(or maybe I'm confused). HUI is for controlling things OTHER than virtual instruments(my Faderport uses HUI protocol). Assuming you want to play the Casio keyboard and record midi into a PT session, the keyboard needs to be set up in the Midi Studio setup area(Setup>Midi>Midi Studio). If you set it up under the Peripherals menu, then Pro Tools is looking for a HUI device that doesn't really exist Remove the Casio from the Peripherals menu.

In the Midi Studio window, create a new "instrument" and name it what you like(maybe just "Casio" without the quotes?). The next options of brand and model are not required(you can leave blank or select anything that looks good to you as it won't matter). The next 2 sections are the important bits. The Input Path(so Pro Tools knows where to expect incoming midi data from the keyboard). If the Casio is connected via a USB cable, then the input menu should have something like "Casio on USB[Emulated]" or similar. If the Casio is connected via midi cable, then select the midi input that its plugged into(on my rig with a DIGI003, my keyboard is on DIGI003 Midi In). The second part that matters is the Midi channels, and for now, just select all(which should be selected by default and show in blue). In the future, if you add more keyboard/pad or triggers, you can give specific Midi channel assignments so you can record from multiple midi devices at the same time, but control different things with each(I had a Yamaha Motif es8 playing piano(MiniGrand), Ensoniq Mirage(stop laughing)playing organ(DB-33) and a Roland TD10 kit playing drums(Superior Drummer) all at the same time.

Once the Casio is properly setup, when you create an INSTRUMENT track, by default, it will receive midi from all devices available(from the Midi Studio setup page). Fingers crossed on this helping

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-09-2020, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
I am able to select the device in Peripherals HUI and send it to my plugin grand piano, however I constantly get the error unable to communicate.
Don't setup the connection in Peripherals. That is for 'control surfaces' i.e. HUI, a proprietary protocol used in mixing and transport, not playing VIs - the terminology 'MIDI Controllers' is confusing.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 04-09-2020, 05:54 AM

@albee

Omg yes! This worked for me.

It might just be me, but setting that up was a little confusing, especially with all the other forums and videos out there. If you search how to connect midi keyboard, pretty much every result says go down the peripherals route.

Anyways, thanks again, much appreciated for the quick reply and explanation.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
... It might just be me, but setting that up was a little confusing ...
Yeah, it's been like that forever. I always thought the user interface for this was a tad confusing, too. The good news is, once you get your head wrapped around it, it's fine.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume