Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 PM

Default Midi to audio

Heyhey

Was wondering if someone could run me through the steps of bouncing/sending the MIDI information that was recorded onto a midi track from an electric drum kit using a Virtual Instrument for the sounds (Lets say Boom as the VI)??

Setup:

Midi track with midi information using the Boom VI for sounds. Create an Audio track, set the input somehow to the midi's output? or create an audio track and record enable it using the input from the master stereo track?
or somehow bus the vi to the audio track and record as you play the midi track with the VI??

As you can see, i'm confused about the process. Any help would be great... THANKS A LOT!
Digi002 Rack
Pro Tools LE 8.0.3
RNP
RNC
ADA8000
HP60 Headphone Amp
Presonus Firepod FP10
M-Audio Audio Buddy
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS4
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Midi to audio

You can do this with an Instrument track but I will tell you using an Aux track.

Create a Stereo Aux track, an Audio track and a MIDI track. Place your VI on the Aux track. Lets say you use Xpand on the Aux track.

Perhaps rename the Aux track Xpand VI, the MIDI track Xpand MIDI and the Audio track Synth for example.

Check the MIDI input and output.Take a look at the MIDI track I/O. Your MIDI input should show whatever you are using to input...keyboard controller and the MIDI channel you want it on. All,1, 2, 3, 4 etc

The MIDI output should show where it is going....it should be to Xpand and set it to the MIDI channel you want to send it on.

Don't confuse MIDI channel and MIDI track.

Record arm the MIDI track. Play some notes and you should be seeing and hearing Xpand playing.

Now record a pass and the MIDI information should record. Flip to Edit view and you will see the MIDI notes recording as you go.

Now take it out of record mode and play and check performance. Happy......now you want to bus the audio from the synth on the Xpand VI track to the Synth track (audio track ).

Go to the sends section of the Xpand VI aux track and you get Interface or Bus. Choose Bus..... select a bus you want to use. You find this right below Inserts and above I/O. If not showing go to View>Edit Window Views>Sends A-E.

For now pick Bus1-2 (Stereo). A fader will open and will be all the way down, take it up to 0.

Now go to the audio track you made and named Synth.

Go to Input under I/O and select Bus 1-2 ( Stereo).

Record arm the Synth track. Hit play and you should see level....the Aux track is sending it's audio to the audio track named Synth.

Now record it and you will have the audio recorded on that track.

If you are happy you can remove the VI from the Aux track....Xpand VI in this case...and save on some CPU for other tasks like adding plug in's.

SAVE the MIDI track...don't delete it. I like to Hide mine and get it out of view. If you decide to change the synth sound later, the MIDI track is already recorded, your performance saved. You just put the VI back and pick another sound.

I personally also take screenshots of my VI's so I can see what it was set at and I place them in the session folder. You can also save the setting in the VI itself.

This process is also a way to save CPU when using plug in's. Instead of the VI it could be a reverb plug in on the aux track and you could bus tracks to it. This way several tracks could use a single instance of a reverb.

I hope this helps and that I got it right, I am pretty tired.
Pro Tools 2020.3
Universal Audio Apollo 8P Thunderbolt
Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 PM

Oh I did not see Boom.

Well try the first method to get familiar.

Put Boom on an Instrument track...drag in the MIDI files from the drum softwareand what I do is create a stereo audio track....and bus the audio from the instrument track to the new audio track. Same thing..one less step.

You can do it either way..I wanted to show the other way because of the plug in use of it.

Like I said...way tired.

Someone else more knowledgeable than me can chime in..it will help me too.
Pro Tools 2020.3
Old 01-20-2010, 10:39 PM

The Audio Output selector of an Instrument track or AUX and an Audio track Input selector needs to have the same Bus Channel.

Instrument/AUX track>Audio Output>Bus Channel 1
Audio track>Input>Bus Channel 1

Obviously if you are requiring separate Boom Channels you will need to repeat the process as many times as Boom Channels in use.

filosofem
Old 01-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Thank you!!!!! :d
Digi002 Rack
Pro Tools LE 8.0.3
RNP
RNC
ADA8000
HP60 Headphone Amp
Presonus Firepod FP10
M-Audio Audio Buddy
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS4
Old 01-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Thank you!!!!! :d
Digi002 Rack
Pro Tools LE 8.0.3
RNP
RNC
ADA8000
HP60 Headphone Amp
Presonus Firepod FP10
M-Audio Audio Buddy
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS4
Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 PM

What if I wanted to record from an electric drumkit with 10 channels or so of MIDI information using the Boom VI on an aux track and bounce that to audio tracks. Meaning the bass drum on it's own audio track, the snare on it's own, toms on their own, cymbals on their own and so on...

Is there anyway to do this that is fast or "the proper way"? I assume something like setting up 10 audio tracks and somehow bus each MIDI note to a different channel, then link them to each of the 10 audio tracks (bus 1 through 10 on audio tracks 1 through 10)???

Basically I'd like to be able to mix the 10 audio tracks of drum sounds as if it were a real kit that I had recorded with mics.

Thank you!
Digi002 Rack
Pro Tools LE 8.0.3
RNP
RNC
ADA8000
HP60 Headphone Amp
Presonus Firepod FP10
M-Audio Audio Buddy
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS4
Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 PM

Since Boom is not multi-output (I'm pretty sure), the easiest way would be to set up an instrument track, use your E-drums to record the midi, then afterwards buss the track to audio tracks one at a time. Each time you would solo (or mute the others) the appropriate note, such as kick, snare, etc. doing it one at a time. Then you have your separate audio tracks to process individually. You can then deactivate the original instrument track to save on CPU (but don't delete it, in case you want to go back and make changes.

With multi-output programs like Superior drummer or BFD or NI Battery, you just buss each output to individual aux tracks and do your processing, or record them simultaneously to individual audio tracks.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 PM

EZ Drummer is multi outs also. Inexpensive too.
Pro Tools 2020.3
Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM

d16 group's Nithonat TR-606 clone supports individual channel outputs.

filosofem