Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #131  
Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 PM
LDS LDS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 828
Default Re: Pro Tools 12 — I don't care about the release date, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdst View Post
Or maybe what we charge clients? There has been a lot of cheap work around since I started... and it hurts a lot more than 600 a year! Sorry if thats too much your not charging enough.


Jeebus. Your landlord must love you. No doubt he jacks up the price and just says "charge your clients more" in response.
__________________
littledevilstudios.com.au
Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5. OSX 10.14.6. HDX1. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. Mac Pro 2013. 10 Core 3.0gHz. 64Gb. 4x mSata SSD Drives + 4x HDD. AJA XT IO. Sync HD. Dobly Production Suite 3.4.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 PM
Bill Denton Bill Denton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,644
Default Re: Pro Tools 12 — I don't care about the release date, because...

But brdst is touching on a common problem...

In a lot of markets there is a problem with "I'm just doing this for fun" or "I'm just getting started" or "this is just a side job for me".

All too often folks like that "lowball" prices so much that it becomes impossible for true professionals to actually make a living.

The pros are forced to move to another market or go out of business, then you end up with a market full of amateurs.

The clients who need pro-quality work are forced to go elsewhere, and eventually there is no longer a market for professionals in that market, and the market completely dies.

In the US, it's against the law to collude with others or conspire to set prices, but there's no law against having friends call other professionals to find out what the "market rate" is before setting your prices...
__________________
X
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 02-18-2015, 05:43 PM
LDS LDS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 828
Default Re: Pro Tools 12 — I don't care about the release date, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
But brdst is touching on a common problem...

In a lot of markets there is a problem with "I'm just doing this for fun" or "I'm just getting started" or "this is just a side job for me".

All too often folks like that "lowball" prices so much that it becomes impossible for true professionals to actually make a living.

The pros are forced to move to another market or go out of business, then you end up with a market full of amateurs.

The clients who need pro-quality work are forced to go elsewhere, and eventually there is no longer a market for professionals in that market, and the market completely dies.

In the US, it's against the law to collude with others or conspire to set prices, but there's no law against having friends call other professionals to find out what the "market rate" is before setting your prices...

Colluding wouldn't work anyway. I think the biggest influence in the last decade or so has been the abundance of cheap recording equipment and a do-it-yourself mentality. We can't change that. It seems people are now being sold the idea of a career in recording rather than a career as a musician.

I do think that this industry has always been quite diverse though. A colleague of mine started out in 1992 recording to 8-track cassette. He built his niche within the local punk community and over 20 years later he is still recording day in and day out - though his equipment has changed over the years. For that very reason, "market rates" don't exist. He was exceptionally busy recording to 8-track cassette and a lot of his clients back then are still his clients now... many in different bands and lineups.

But to think that he "low balled" something like studio 301 located just down the road is ridiculous. A multi-million dollar facility with a large format console and ample racks of outboard gear would have to be in a pretty dire predicament to be undermined by a chap with an 8-track cassette recorder.

Both 301 and my colleague offered completely different notions of "value-for-money" to very different client bases. They had complete different levels of overhead and running costs that are worlds apart. Any kind of "market value" idea in this industry is destined to fail because the expectations, desires and monetary investment on behalf of the clients out there span every imaginable level. The trick has always been to find that allusive niche... maintaining client relationships and offering a good service and product.

Rent & Electricity are unavoidable operating costs. A "$599/yr or else" policy is avoidable... and the point that Protools has lost its value for me. The audio software industry is no different to the recording industry really. 7 years ago I spend a fortune on TDM plugins. Often $400 or $500 a pop. Last year the most expensive plugin I purchased was Fab Filter Q2 - on sale for $150. Prices are getting cheaper by the day. I work hard to maintain my client based and offer the pricing and service that they expect. A lot of software developers do too. Avid on the other hand is off on a whole other tangent now though. The service has changed over the last 4 years. The terms have changed dramatically over the last 12 months, and they are changes that I simply don't agree with.
__________________
littledevilstudios.com.au
Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5. OSX 10.14.6. HDX1. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. Mac Pro 2013. 10 Core 3.0gHz. 64Gb. 4x mSata SSD Drives + 4x HDD. AJA XT IO. Sync HD. Dobly Production Suite 3.4.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 02-18-2015, 06:50 PM
coolbass coolbass is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 135
Default Re: Pro Tools 12 — I don't care about the release date, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
But brdst is touching on a common problem...

In a lot of markets there is a problem with "I'm just doing this for fun" or "I'm just getting started" or "this is just a side job for me".

All too often folks like that "lowball" prices so much that it becomes impossible for true professionals to actually make a living.

The pros are forced to move to another market or go out of business, then you end up with a market full of amateurs.

The clients who need pro-quality work are forced to go elsewhere, and eventually there is no longer a market for professionals in that market, and the market completely dies.

In the US, it's against the law to collude with others or conspire to set prices, but there's no law against having friends call other professionals to find out what the "market rate" is before setting your prices...
So, Bill, I think by your own admission, you are not a audio- or post-professional. Shouldn't you just stop your pedantic remarks towards others?
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 PM
brdst brdst is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 122
Default Re: Pro Tools 12 — I don't care about the release date, because...

Well put and I agree with most of what your saying. Sorry if I offended anybody. I definitely see your point. I would hope Avid can make good with the promise of a faster more stable update path with this new model. If they can, I still support it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Colluding wouldn't work anyway. I think the biggest influence in the last decade or so has been the abundance of cheap recording equipment and a do-it-yourself mentality. We can't change that. It seems people are now being sold the idea of a career in recording rather than a career as a musician.

I do think that this industry has always been quite diverse though. A colleague of mine started out in 1992 recording to 8-track cassette. He built his niche within the local punk community and over 20 years later he is still recording day in and day out - though his equipment has changed over the years. For that very reason, "market rates" don't exist. He was exceptionally busy recording to 8-track cassette and a lot of his clients back then are still his clients now... many in different bands and lineups.

But to think that he "low balled" something like studio 301 located just down the road is ridiculous. A multi-million dollar facility with a large format console and ample racks of outboard gear would have to be in a pretty dire predicament to be undermined by a chap with an 8-track cassette recorder.

Both 301 and my colleague offered completely different notions of "value-for-money" to very different client bases. They had complete different levels of overhead and running costs that are worlds apart. Any kind of "market value" idea in this industry is destined to fail because the expectations, desires and monetary investment on behalf of the clients out there span every imaginable level. The trick has always been to find that allusive niche... maintaining client relationships and offering a good service and product.

Rent & Electricity are unavoidable operating costs. A "$599/yr or else" policy is avoidable... and the point that Protools has lost its value for me. The audio software industry is no different to the recording industry really. 7 years ago I spend a fortune on TDM plugins. Often $400 or $500 a pop. Last year the most expensive plugin I purchased was Fab Filter Q2 - on sale for $150. Prices are getting cheaper by the day. I work hard to maintain my client based and offer the pricing and service that they expect. A lot of software developers do too. Avid on the other hand is off on a whole other tangent now though. The service has changed over the last 4 years. The terms have changed dramatically over the last 12 months, and they are changes that I simply don't agree with.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 02-18-2015, 08:22 PM
brdst brdst is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 122
Default Re: Pro Tools 12 — I don't care about the release date, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
The trick has always been to find that allusive niche... maintaining client relationships and offering a good service and product.
Also, take out the word allusive and this is great advice.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 02-19-2015, 04:10 AM
shamanrock shamanrock is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hollywood Hills, CA
Posts: 457
Default Re: Pro Tools 12 — I don't care about the release date, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
Avid will never see another dollar, euro, Turkish lira, or Madagascar Ariary (had to look that up) from me again, unless they change from this subscription madness. I'm a musician, working on my own projects, and not running a big studio. $30 a month or $300 a year is a complete non-starter, especially given that missing a month means a complete lack of access to old projects.

So I guess I'm sticking with PT 11 till I die... Good thing I mostly like it...

~peter in istanbul

ps-- why did the "I" in "I don't care about the release date" get turned into "bleep?"
I agree!!!

I've been a loyal pro tools user since 2007. Their subscription greed is the last straw!
I will be jumping ship to presonus or Cubase or logic.
Bye Avid.
__________________
System Details
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 02-19-2015, 06:25 AM
paul007 paul007 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 63
Default Re: Pro Tools 12 — I don't care about the release date, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
But brdst is touching on a common problem...

In a lot of markets there is a problem with "I'm just doing this for fun" or "I'm just getting started" or "this is just a side job for me".

All too often folks like that "lowball" prices so much that it becomes impossible for true professionals to actually make a living.

The pros are forced to move to another market or go out of business, then you end up with a market full of amateurs.

The clients who need pro-quality work are forced to go elsewhere, and eventually there is no longer a market for professionals in that market, and the market completely dies.

In the US, it's against the law to collude with others or conspire to set prices, but there's no law against having friends call other professionals to find out what the "market rate" is before setting your prices...
That's why we had PT LE and CPTK.

Content specific sound editors (dialogue, fx, ambiences, foley) for instance don't always need a full blown system to do their work.

The market of post sound editors with smaller systems is not "full of amateurs". They intermediate between picture lock and final mix&master in larger (Avid) post houses.

I think it has been a silly move from Avid to widen the gap between a low and high end systems, forgetting about "mid size" audio post editing suites.

You need all sizes; free for starters to get a taste, low end for (semi) hobbyists, mid size for editing, HD for mixing.
Especially if you want "Avid Everywhere" to be everywhere

Now it's like Ipad Mini and Mac Pro, with nothing in between.

Last edited by paul007; 02-19-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 03-23-2015, 04:25 PM
legreg6 legreg6 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 9
Default Re: Pro Tools 12 — I don't care about the release date, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
Ok, here is the real truth and "rub". The mods and AVID like to "steer" you away from this very fact.

Yes, if you have a perpetual license, it will not go away. If you have a subscription it will.

So let's say, you buy the 199 annual "extortion support" and in a year, when it is up for "renewal", you either don't have the money at that point, or AVID has put nothing of value into the software that you need at that time.

While your license will remain at that version, let's say V12.2.1. That is the last version you will be able to use.
You will not be able to get updates. And worse yet, you will NEVER be able to UPGRADE that perpetual license. It is FROZEN at that version FOREVER.

IF you want to get the next update, lets say that v12.2.3 fixes a very annoying bug that has been their since V12.1.2 for the year, you will not be able to get it.

However, if you buy a "NEW" perpetual license for 899, you will have one year to get on a "plan" or the whole process starts over again.

It is nothing more than extortion. Pay monthly or annually, or lose the ability to update and upgrade FOREVER.

And from Bobby himself, the music community is not moving up to 12. There is nothing they want in it, and everyone feels the same about this annual "must" or lose deal.

Logic, DP, Cubase and Nuendo are getting looked at heavily again and many are consider moving to other platforms.
+1
I think I am going to stick to 11, and meanwhile start (re)using Logic. I had stopped at Logic 9, moved to Pro tools but really hate Avid marketing politics. I also have to say that PT is the least stable DAW I've used. And I think Avid shows very little respect, if any, to the developer's community (AAX format has been a nightmare, specially for small developers).
I bought PT 10 in early Jan 2013, Academic License, with an included free update plan of 4 years. When 11 came out, it was not even sure Avid would stand by this plan. I did not even looked into this yet, but I imagine the worst.

Anyway, I was reading today about Logic 10.1 update, and quite honestly, I don't see what can justify spending this kind of money on Pro tools at this point. At least in my perspective. And, yes, quite honestly, I have a very hard time believing that the music community will stick to PT much longer. Avid is TOTALLY out of touch imho.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro Tools 12 Release Date & Features Becharax Pro Tools 12 159 02-14-2015 05:07 PM
Pro Tools 8 release date bobo mark Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 12 11-07-2008 10:07 AM
Pro Tools 8 - Date of Release 25ghosts Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 6 10-06-2008 01:20 PM
Pro Tools 7 Release Date Oct 28th Ryan711 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 4 10-27-2005 08:21 PM
Date for Pro Tools LE 5.2 release? Steve Woodford 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 1 03-06-2002 09:55 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com