How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-17-2015, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Please Avid We All Really Want You to Be Successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Burying pertinent but uncomfortable threads, whether by design or happy chance, is yet more evidence of Avid's failure to take us seriously.
Saw that with the Pro Control /Control|24 and PT11 thread.
(Another avoidable mess)

Perception is everything.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstaar View Post
If it helps Avid believe the discontentment in this thread is more widespread than they seem to think, I shall add my voice too.
+1
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
If it helps Avid believe the discontentment in this thread is more widespread than they seem to think, I shall add my voice too.
Here too
Old 02-17-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:

+1
Old 02-17-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
+1
Old 02-17-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
... But, to meet the accounting requirements, when a service plan expires, it can't simply be a "trial separation", it must be an "absolute and final divorce", with the relationship totally dead and buried...stake through the heart and all that. There must be absolutely no "relationship" between the license that was associated with the service plan and Avid. Again, this is to meet the accounting requirements...
If I understand this correctly, it certainly explains why Adobe, Apple and Microsoft no longer offer paid upgrades. Apple gets around it to a certain degree with the OS only legally available when bundled with hardware which allows them to write up a new OS version as a new sale. Avid may be able to do something like that with HD software.

My understanding is that Avid is between a rock and a hard place on announcements about 12 because they are a public company. Before they get very far into 12, they've obviously got to get all of their new S3, S6 and Venue related products up to speed with a relatively bug-free version of 11. They've also got AVB support breathing down their necks from the live and broadcast sides. Between AVB and 64 bit computers, they have been forced to address what are by far the biggest changes in market requirements for both hardware and software in over a decade. Until they can predict how long this will take to pull together, they can't legally announce much in the way of feature upgrade details.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post
+1
And what is all of this supposed to accomplish?

I'm going to tread very carefully here...what I will be talking about is government, NOT politics...there IS a difference.

Most of your guys are from countries that have stable and functioning governments...does your government not put regulations in place that you might not agree with?

I have no idea whether Avid wanted to or did not want to make the changes they are making, but what Avid wanted to do is immaterial!

Either Avid made changes, or they would have that 900 pound gorilla known as the US government would land on them really hard.

So all of these posts telling Avid you disagree with what they are doing aren't going to accomplish a damn thing other than waste storage space on some server somewhere.

That's the reality of it.

Again, this is about government...those of us in the US can contact our elected representatives about getting the rules changed, or we can vote one way or another in hopes of getting them changed, but unless the rules get changed, there is simply nothing Avid can do about some of this stuff.

Those of you outside the US could maybe call the UN or something.

Avid is well aware that a lot of people don't like what they're doing. I don't know how much you guys know about market research, but before any of this was "rolled out", quite probably somebody did a PowerPoint presentation that said stuff like, "this is going to p*ss off 27% of our customers, and that is going to p*ss off 29% of our customers but we can still make more money". Like it or not, that's just the way things work in business today.

So, if you guys want to keep posting your disappointment that's fine, but it's not going to change anything...all it is going to do is irritate people who are really trying to do the best they can both for Avid, and for us, their customers.

There's an old Rodney Dangerfield joke...

"My wife gave me two ties for Christmas. I put one on this morning and she says, 'What's the matter, you don't like the other one?'"

And that's the universe the folks at Avid are living in right now...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh

Last edited by Bill Denton; 02-17-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:00 AM

If this is all about market mechanics we simply have to undergo;

maybe we should all read "Too small to fail" by L.Hernandez jr. to understand what is happening.

http://www.authorhouse.co.uk/Booksto...=SKU-000372111

"Now, he says, is the perfect time for the leaders of these community-based institutions to seize the day and lead the financial services industry back to the center of economic vitality and drive global economic growth, one community at a time. In Too Small to Fail, Hernandez issues the call to action, “Do you have the extraordinary drive it will take to inspire the industry and bring financial institutions back to their place as trusted intermediaries?”
Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 AM

I think you very succinctly and politely nailed the concerns that users have for this plan.

First, it is a huge source of frustration that any previous loyalty counts for nothing. Second, the promise of faster and better updates rings hollow, when in fact the subscription model enables the opposite to be the norm for quite some time before there is much financial impact to Avid. With promises of bug fixes and upgrades people will be reluctant to jump off the plan - but once they do, they won't be buying anything more from Avid.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
Fair enough, but I think the concern people have here is that doing that erases any trace of "loyalty" discount going forward.

In the past, skipping a generation may have reduced my discount on future versions somewhat, but didn't erase it completely. With the new model, we either pay perpetually or lose entitlement to any kind of discount on future versions.

First, I don't understand this. Why would annual renewals affect how Engineering does its job? Why can't it release updates and features faster under the old payment model? What does one have to do with the other?

Second, despite your MC examples, I'm sure you can understand why customers would be at least somewhat sceptical and perhaps even suspicious of such claims.

It has always been the job of vendors to develop a product that entices users to buy it based on it satisfying some need. What Avid is saying NOW is that we should pay in advance based on the promise that it will eventually deliver what we want. That's a pretty dramatic departure from the traditional market model. It reduces the incentive for Avid to meet customer expectations by shifting the focus from "buy this new product based on what it does for you" to "keep paying or face large financial penalties."
Old 02-17-2015, 11:29 AM

Marianna -

Thanks for taking the time to address the concerns voiced here. As someone who has run 2 online forums for many years, I know how difficult it can be to please everyone. I can tell you, it's very important your customers feel listened to regardless of what market segment they belong to.

Since the decision has been made to go with a perpetual license and the odds of Avid reversing that decision are probably pretty low, I suggest some compromise. This could be in the form of reduced costs, longer plans, additional included licenses or maybe some other bonuses (free plugins etc.).

Earlier I posted I was ready to leave Pro Tools and go to Presonus Studio One 2. While Studio One has matured and offers a substantial feature set, when I look at it side-by-side with Pro Tools there's an elegance Pro Tools has that Studio One is missing, namely, the simple, clean presentation of Pro Tools we've all become so used to. It would be hard to change. Years ago I wouldn't have even considered it. What I and others yearn for is what we've always loved about Pro Tools - innovative new features that save us time, rock solid platform and audio quality that is second to none.

I would add that the move Waves just announced combining Native/Soundgrid licenses into a single license is stunning. Either their pricing goes higher or lower - remains to be seen. What's going on between PT and PT HD is similar. Do we really need 2 different products with 2 different pricing schemes when, in many respects, they are so similar to begin with? I applaud having a free version for newbies. I just think Avid should follow Waves trend - 1 price, be it subscription or fixed, and Pro Tools HD for all.

Thanks for listening and best of luck with the Pro Tools 12 release.

Respectfully,

Justin
Studio: 2010 Mac Pro Tower Intel Xeon 12 core 3.33 GHz, 64 GB macOS Mojave PCIe SSD 256GB Boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.11 | HD Native Card | Digi 192 Analog & 192 Digital Blue | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Waves DLI, Impact Server, Horizon, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1. Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD