How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-16-2015, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Please Avid We All Really Want You to Be Successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
This likely won't be a popular opinion here, but so far Bill is one of the few that isn't just throwing out speculation. Does no one else find the timing of this new model syncing up with the financial situation more than coincidence?

For the most part, we all have until 2016 to see what Avid are going to be putting out. It really comes down to - if they put out enough new features to pay the annual price, then pay up and enjoy the added functionality. If they don't, then either stay at the version you're at and keep rocking, or move to another platform that meets your needs/costs.

We don't know the full list of features that are going to be in PT12 (either at launch or through the product cycle). All we know is the new licensing model, that either you will like, or you wont like (yes, I'm aware that the forum is leaning heavily toward the latter) and the few details that have been released in the FAQ.

Joel
I don't have a problem with Bill's opinion. It's just that he seems to be rather full of himself and seems to think anyone who disagrees with him, must be stupid. Sometimes his knowledge of the subject matter is rather thin.

As far as the new licensing plan goes, the only thing I take exception with as a customer, is that they will try to make me pay the full price if I let the plan lapse. I consider this a slap in the face of a loyal customer. Last months I have been working with Logic X and Cubase.
It went much better and was more fun than I expected.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:37 PM

I just want to log my strong disappointment with the new system. All of it.

Pro Tools since 2002.

ASUS Sabertooth, Intel i7 3820 3.6Ghz
32 GB 1600Mhz Corsair RAM
SSD 500GB Samsung
WIN 10 64bit
Old 02-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
Why can't the AVID apologists here come to grips with the problem .... It's not working!
If AVID were successful we wouldn't be having this conversation, and they wouldn't be making this desperate last gasp to stay afloat.
kasper
Hey everyone....

I think this thread needs a reset. Couple of things....

1. Avid embarked on an accounting evaluation and pending restatement of its financial statements for several years and some quarterly periods. This had to be done as a public company ... we had to evaluate the current and historical accounting treatment related to bug fixes, upgrades and enhancements to certain products which the Company had provided to certain customers. Nothing to hide here folks.... this isn't a conspiracy!

2. Avid is doing well.... a few tidbits to share from the Q3 results of 2014... Q4 coming shortly I would assume. I am sure many of you read those to get an idea of our overall performance right?
  • Revenue of $142.4 million and non-GAAP net income of $22.5 million, an increase of 2.5% and over 59%, respectively versus Q3 2013
  • Adjusted EBITDA of $27.3 million, up 37% from Q3 2013
  • Free cash flow generation of $8.1 million, up year-on-year and sequentially
  • Bookings of $112.2 million, compared with $127.0 million for Q3 2013
  • Non-GAAP gross margin improved 320 basis points, while operating expense declined 1.5% year-on-year
  • Over 3,200 new Media Composer cloud based subscription users as of September 30,2014 with average monthly growth rate of 45% over first four months

3. Kasper > This isn't a "desperate last gasp to stay afloat"... this is a new upgrade model that we first implemented with the Editing products ( MC, Symphony and NCutter) last year. We listened to a lot of customers on both the video and audio sides of the house. As a result of that feedback, this new model offers choice, flexibility, and access to feature updates as they become available. If you own a traditional PT license, we’re now offering you feature updates as they are ready as well as support, for $199 per year (which works out to $16.58/month or roughly .55 cents a day). If you own Pro Tools HD software, you can get one-year of updates and support for $599.

4. If you don't want upgrades for the 2015 year... then you don't have to buy the support/upgrade plan. You can either migrate to a subscription or continue to use the version you have now. Pricing on subscription starts at $25 per month....

5. With this model, the CET and Engineering teams can be more agile and develop, test and release features on a much faster basis. You should receive feature updates and fixes much more frequently than before – including Cloud Collaboration and the integrated Avid Marketplace services. I know we are asking for a leap of faith.... but all i can say is that in MC land we implemented the new model with 8.0 and delivered a bunch of new features in 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 like:

AAX-64
Exporting MXF OP1a
Frame View Border Colors and Icons
Filter Out AMA Media in the Media Tool
Placing a Title in the Timeline
Changes to dragging in the User Interface
Copy Drag Segment
Support for ARRi AMIRA camera
Muting Individual Clips in the Timeline
Disabling a Video Track Multiple Audio Mixdowns
Group clip support for Stereoscopic clips
Setting for Selecting Filler Extending Shift Trim
End of Trim Indicators
Merging Source Segment and Program Segment Color Correction
Avid Image Sequencer Plug-In
Background Render
Favorite Bins
Select Project Window Improvement
Quick filter field in project window
Search for Markers
Image Cache for thumbnails
Warning for Frame Rate Changes
Application Manager Updates
DMF folder support for DPX files
High Resolution Sequence Formats Supported by Media Composer
High-Res Output
Resolution Independence
Color Management
Frame Rates
DNxHR (High Resolutions)
Play and Render Sequence in Proxy
High-Res 4K Monitor Support
Title Tool Replacement for High Resolution Projects
Quick Filter in the Bin Using the List Tool
The Color Info Tool Exporting as DPX
Additional Column Headings
New I//O devices supported

I don't have a crystal ball here but if we did all that on MC for those that bought into the new model, then I would expect a similar scenario for PT.

6. Kasper > I don't think we owe any one an apology for not posting the last few days. Its a holiday here today and we don't normally work the weekends. Some of us watch the forums 24/7 like myself, Jeffro and Bruce but most don't. I don't have a life as it is :)

7. Reason for the thread reset...... Dave C. came on this site in good faith... it appears to me like a mob like mentality is starting with some folks insulting him, whereas IMO he has been nothing but professional. I have known Dave for 25 years and he is a good man and tries to do the right thing. But like us all - we have to balance what is in the best interest of the customer and the company. You might not like the message we deliver but that doesn't mean you can attack him with insults. What you need to understand is that people inside Avid don't HAVE to come on the forums - they do so because they want to help or explain. Don't shout at them, insult them and expect they will come back and/or continue to read your posts.

So, I’ll leave it to the community .... start being professional, leave Dave's LinkedIn profile alone, stop the name calling and start acting like the adults you are. It is fine to have opinions and we want to hear them but mudslinging isn't the way.

Marianna

marianna.montague@avid.com
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna
Skype mariannamontague

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 02-16-2015, 02:01 PM

I think you nailed it. It is an opinion, not a fact, but was portrayed as one repeatedly and vehemently. Over and over, and loudly.

Unless someone posting here sits in the meeting rooms with the CEO of Avid and the other decision makers, they can only speculate on the motives and driving forces of the decision. I've been in some of those decision making meetings over the course of my time in IT, and I can safely say that conventional logic (or even unconventional logic) is not always the driving force for the decisions that come out of them. I have walked out of a few of those meetings (not with Avid, of course, but smaller companies) shaking my head in disbelief.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
I don't have a problem with Bill's opinion. It's just that he seems to be rather full of himself and seems to think anyone who disagrees with him, must be stupid. Sometimes his knowledge of the subject matter is rather thin.

As far as the new licensing plan goes, the only thing I take exception with as a customer, is that they will try to make me pay the full price if I let the plan lapse. I consider this a slap in the face of a loyal customer. Last months I have been working with Logic X and Cubase.
It went much better and was more fun than I expected.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:34 PM

Marianna,

Thanks for checking in.

As for attacking Dave, well none of it was personal, not from me, and I know not about any Linked IN stuff .... regardless ... He's the head of the Pro Tools Product management Team!!! .... he (and you, and AVID) have a direct line to your customers - THE DUC - Sure, you don't "have" to be here, but you (AVID as an entity) is foolish, arrogant, and ultimately a failure if you don't take advantage of it.

The overwhelming sentiment from your customer base is ... we don't like what you are doing.

Trying to justify it with a bunch of accounting #'s doesn't change the fact.

The new model is not welcome by the vast majority of customers and will only serve to foster further ill will.

What customers did you "listen to?"
I would really like to know where your research comes from.
Personally, I know at least a dozen studios owners ... not one of them is happy. In fact, they are nothing but pissed off.

As I always say, I love PT, and wouldn't be here if I didn't

kasper
Old 02-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post

6. Kasper > I don't think we owe any one an apology for not posting the last few days. Its a holiday here today and we don't normally work the weekends. Some of us watch the forums 24/7 like myself, Jeffro and Bruce but most don't. I don't have a life as it is :)

Marianna
Dave C rides into town and tells the natives that everything will be OK, in fact, it'll be better than before!
And I'm here for ya, you don't know me, but I'm your man, I've got your back .... TRUST ME!
I'll be lounging for a week in the Islands .... but settle down, everything is just fine.

Doesn't that strike you as just a wee bit disingenuous and ripe for criticism?
Would it have been better to wait a week?

Of course, you own no one an apology, but it just doesn't seem like a smart move.

kasper
Old 02-16-2015, 03:03 PM

"We listened to a lot of customers on both the video and audio sides of the house. As a result of that feedback, this new model offers choice"

Marianna,

However much I respect and appreciate your elaborate response, the above quote did make me giggle

Paul
Old 02-16-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul007 View Post
"We listened to a lot of customers on both the video and audio sides of the house. As a result of that feedback, this new model offers choice"

Marianna,

However much I respect and appreciate your elaborate response, the above quote did make me giggle

Paul
I frowned.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 02-16-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
We listened to a lot of customers on both the video and audio sides of the house. As a result of that feedback, this new model offers choice, flexibility

Marianna

a lot of customers? On the audio side? I would have to see empirical data before I believe that one.

Truly you can see where the jist of the problem lies, right?

People don't want to upgrade every year not for the features (or lack thereof) that PT brings, and now they feel like they will have to buy back in at full price once they decide they want to.....(subscription aside)

This is the crux of the heartache for many
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Avid

you say: " he (and you, and AVID) have a direct line to your customers - THE DUC - Sure, you don't "have" to be here, but you (AVID as an entity) is foolish, arrogant, and ultimately a failure if you don't take advantage of it."

We do monitor the site and post along with a host of other sites and social media channels but it is a tad out of line to expect us to do that 24/7.
Avid isn't foolish.... and has shown how we can change the course in the past when we were wrong.

Nigel - you should know that first hand ....

you say: " The overwhelming sentiment from your customer base is ... we don't like what you are doing."

We hear you loud and clear. Important point though is that the community on the forum doesn't equate to the customer base which I am sure was taken into account. I wasn't in the meetings where the decisions were made, nor did I see the survey feedback and no I don't know who it went too BUT I do know that Dean is spot on with his post. There are 160K people who are on this forum and have posted at one time or another. Interesting to know Bruce - how many are active. Just like the video forums where I reside most often, there are the same # roughly but only a subset are active.

you say :" Trying to justify it with a bunch of accounting #'s doesn't change the fact."

Not trying to justify with a bunch of accounting #'s Kasper - its the truth. We had to do what we did..... and Louis took the right path to fix it.

you say " The new model is not welcome by the vast majority of customers and will only serve to foster further ill will.
What customers did you "listen to?"

I will touch base with Tony tomorrow and Dave C. when he comes back from vacation end of this week.

you say: As I always say, I love PT, and wouldn't be here if I didn't

If you were passionate and didnt like the product, I know you wouldn't be here along with many others.

Lets just all ( not pointing any fingers at anyone - general statement).... try and be a tad more professional and think about how your post comes across before you hit send.

marianna

marianna.montague@avid.com
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna
Skype mariannamontague

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com