Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2003, 10:51 PM

Default Hd card connectors longer than my pci slot???

I just got my hd core card today and am stumped by one thing. My computer is about a year old using an intel motherboard with p4 processor. My pci slots are the standard length in most computers. My problem is that the Core card's part that slides into the pci slot is longer than my pci slot. It actually fits perfectly into the pci slot, but there is a section of gold connectors on the hd card just left hanging in the open. Is this some extra connector for another type of computer or am I going to have to get a new motherboard etc?
I did check the compatability section before I bought the hd1 and I didn't see any mention of pci slot length. My pci slots are about 3" long.
I would love to hear from someone who knows the scoop on the xtra long connection section on the core card. I don't see any mention of it in the getting started manual either.
Thank you and sorry for hogging this forum with nooob questions.
Steve
Old 01-09-2003, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Hd card connectors longer than my pci slot???

Hi Steve,

The extra piece of edge connector is for 64 bit PCI slots as in the Compaq EVO W8000. There are only two 64 bit slots in the Compaq, so I have the core and first process card in them. The second process card is in the next 32 bit slot.
I have no idea if there is any performance or operational difference in the Pro Tools processing when using 64 bit slots...

Matt
Old 01-09-2003, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Hd card connectors longer than my pci slot???

You should have no problems with your 32 bit pci slots. They will work just fine. There is a theoretical performance increase with 64 bit pci slots but I'm not sure how much it is. My HD2 system can handel everything I throw at it.