Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 02-01-2020, 11:15 AM

Default Avid Control in Mixer mode to follow PT/Surface

I just got the S1 and an Android tablet a few days ago so I could be missing something basic. Replaced some aging Mackie Controllers. A second S1 and tablet are on their way!

Everything seems to be working properly except that I would like the Avid Control App to be able to follow banking and nudge by either the DAW or the S1 surface. But it does not seem to be happening, in Mixer mode. In Meters mode and I think also Channel mode, the Avid App is following the lead of either the S1 or the DAW.

In the manual, it says, under Banking: "On systems that include an S1, S3 or other Artist Series media controller, the Bank and Nudge switches on those controllers affect all connected surfaces but not the Control app (except when the Control app is in Hybrid or Meters Tablet mode in which case it will follow banking on its linked S1)."

I can confirm that the Control app is in hybrid mode: As this is currently the only tablet and S1, I dragged the surface to the right hand window in Eucon control and dragged Avid control over it, creating a linked Surface and tablet. According to the manual, this places the Control App into hybrid mode.

In summary, if the Control App is the "master" the DAW and the surface will follow, but not the reverse, the control app will not follow if it's in mixer mode.

The workaround I have to do is:
a) select a track that's within the bank that's displayed on the S1
b) Observe in the Universe display where the clicked track is
c) click in the Universe display to "bank" the Avid Control App to this vicinity

So based on this behavior I guess you can see the preferences in Eucon settings, in Pro Tools and in the Settings of the App have been set correctly...

Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:39 AM
Avid

Default Re: Avid Control in Mixer mode to follow PT/Surface

The Control App follows in Meters mode not mixer. Why do you need the touch faders when you have real ones?

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
The Control App follows in Meters mode not mixer. Why do you need the touch faders when you have real ones?

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
I hear you. Of course I don't need the touch faders, I'd just like to see the App follow along with PT and the surface. No matter where I put my eyes I want to see the status of things. If my eyes are already on the app screen, for example, I'd like to see the app follow the surface and also PT's mixer. I can also drag the App's screen left and right. Now I can drag PT's mixer left and right using an Apple Bluetooth trackpad, which is just as ergonomic as dragging the table app! So I want all my views to follow.

The manual, which I mentioned in my post, is misleading then, it sure implies that the app will follow along, not just in meter mode.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Katz View Post
I'd just like to see the App follow along with PT and the surface. No matter where I put my eyes I want to see the status of things. So I want all my views to follow...
+1

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 02-01-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Katz View Post
I hear you. Of course I don't need the touch faders, I'd just like to see the App follow along with PT and the surface. No matter where I put my eyes I want to see the status of things. If my eyes are already on the app screen, for example, I'd like to see the app follow the surface and also PT's mixer. I can also drag the App's screen left and right. Now I can drag PT's mixer left and right using an Apple Bluetooth trackpad, which is just as ergonomic as dragging the table app! So I want all my views to follow.

The manual, which I mentioned in my post, is misleading then, it sure implies that the app will follow along, not just in meter mode.
The great Bob Katz with a rare appearance here! We are not worthy, etc. :)

With that brownnosing out of the way, +1 that it should follow.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:43 PM

I agree that it following would be nice. Product enhancement request?

BTW you have any latency issues with the Android? I had to dump them in my studio and go to an ipad that has no issues. I think it was the cheaper android just had latency issues not the app.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:19 PM

Just to add also, that when using the S3 along side the Dock with Control App... .why... when we select a track in the the DAW, the S3 always sends the attention track to the left most fader if it can...???? Is this for a different thread to related? I don't know, but it's stupidly annoying!!!

Just great...NOT... sometimes leaves you with 2 faders on the S3 with nothing on the remaining 14 channels.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 02-02-2020, 08:34 AM

Thanks all for your kind words! I'm far from a pro tools expert. I usually use my mixing engineer to work under me as producer for any mixes, but I'm trying to improve my Pro Tools skills so I can be more productive when I decide to engineer a mix alone and in a rare moment I'm not busy in the mastering room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
I agree that it following would be nice. Product enhancement request?

BTW you have any latency issues with the Android? I had to dump them in my studio and go to an ipad that has no issues. I think it was the cheaper android just had latency issues not the app.
I haven't had enough time with the S1 and the Fire Tablet to answer your question about latency. We just upgraded our remote controls last week from Mackie, and it's a big ergonomic improvement.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:53 PM

Agreed!

'App follows DAW' behaviour has been asked for in another thread on here.
I believe Eddie said it was in the works, hopefully it still is.
It would make a lot of sense for the surface the App and the DAW to all be locked together, regardless of which you choose to bank, click or touch on.
Unless you specifically chose it not to follow for some reason, like you want to access 2 areas in the session at once?
Old 02-02-2020, 01:58 PM

By the way, if you open the attentioned fader on the left side of the app, that does follow along, so its working to some extent already.
It may not solve your problem though?