Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2018, 03:22 PM

Default Is it normally this hard to order a windows computer? Dell Hell.

I guess I am venting at this point, but I am at a loss..
This is my first experience in 10 years buying a windows machine, except for in 2012 when i was in a store and spontaneously purchased an ivy bridge 2.3ghz quad core windows 7 laptop for 600 bucks on blowout.. and it's still going fine to this day and equals performance of my haswell 2.8ghz macbook pro, sometimes exceeding it too.. particularly with pro tools..

Which is why i got curious about switching completely to windows, as the performance benefits at 64 buffer seem to be huge.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money, and wanted to buy a machine that would be useful to keep even if it didn't become my main DAW machine.

So i settled on this:
https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/dell...-aio/a210645au

Constant good reviews, an 8 core 3ghz ryzen (16 thread), 16gb ram, nvme ssd, and 4K screen with 8Gb RX580.

They had a 5% sale code on monday so it was $1804 in cart.

I rang dell monday morning 930am, to ask them if installing an extra 16gb of ram would invalidate warranty. I wanted to know this before i purchased.. Since they have a 15 day change of mind policy, i thought overall it was an acceptable risk, and at worse, i could dedicate it to 1080P gaming (RX580 is fine at 1080P for any game) and video editing (Dave Lee said the machine smashes at video editing and i believe him)... So i thought.. why not?

Anyway, they said all sales people were busy, so they would call me back shortly. They asked for number AND email address which i gave them, he repeated all the info, then no one called me back.

Tuesday morning I woke up, and decided i would just buy it anyway, so i went to the link above, and the 5% coupon was gone.

So i called them immediately again to tell them that I had only waited cause no one called me back.. and they said they would check with their manager to see if they could do the price, cause that model was already "under cost".. I said, that's irrelevant, it was 1804 in my cart last night, so dell were happy to offer 5% off yesterday (it was a code for site-wide 5% off anything over 1300$), so can't they please do it today?
I said how long will you know in? He said give me an hour.
That was 10am.
6PM no one had called, so I called again and somehow got the same guy??
Suddenly he starts begging for my business and to give him a chance, and I said, well my question still hasn't been answered from yesterday!
And he said, what question? (sigh).. And i said, can i upgrade the ram, as the back cover is only on by two screws and everything is accessible, without invalidating my warranty? And he said, you will invalidate your warranty for the whole machine.. and he said, let us do it for you.. and i said, so.. how much do you charge for an extra 16GB ram? And he said, that's another department, i don't have a clue. Can i have your address and credit card blah blah blah. And then i said no, not before i know how much ram upgrade is.. and he started going into this really childish behaviour of begging me to give him a chance.. WTF? After ignoring me all day? (PS i found the 16GB ram stick, dell charges just under 700 AUD.. so um.. no.)
Then i said, i am going now, 'goodbye'. and hung up. I did say goodbye though.

That was it I thought.

BUT.. i found out later on, that it is illegal to invalidate an entire machine warranty for a user upgradeable part...and from the dell forums I found out that what I was told was indeed incorrect.
So this time I went on to the chat line and got someone else (YAY! - or so i thought)...And i told him the story, and he agreed with me that i could upgrade the ram and only the ram warranty would be invalidated.. and I said well, the other guy promised me the 1800 price, can you just do it and let's get this done right now?
it was too late for that day to get "manager approval", so he emailed me and asked me for my number, and said he would call me the next day.

Which he didn't. I went on to dell chat again the next afternoon, and got the same (2nd guy) again! As soon as he saw me, he transferred me to the FIRST guy! So obviously in same office working together..
He said he would call me back, but didn't. The usual.. I apologised for being abrupt and hanging up but that my patience was gone by that time.

So, i tried chat AGAIN.

This time i got someone else. And i started the chat directly with, "I have gone through hell trying to get a computer from dell, and these are the people i have dealt with. Can you help me, and absolutely not refer me to either of them whatsoever.. yes, or no."

And - FINALLY, it seemed i found someone who wanted to make the sale and be helpful.

I explained everything to him and he said if he was in my shoes, he would also be going crazy and completely understood.
he said, so let me understand, you are ready to buy that computer right now if i can get you the 5% coupon.. and i said yes.. he said hold on one moment.. came back 5 minutes later.. said he could do it.. said he would give me his personal number and email and that i would only ever have to deal with him from now on...
So we went through the process, he sent me an email of the system config and asked me to confirm it was the system i wanted, i replied yes, card charged, done, and he said he'd try expedite delivery for me.

Finished.

or so i thought.

I was up till 6am the following morning as there was a 15% sale on at computer alliance on ebay, and their prices are competitive to begin with so i bought a 512gb intel 760P, a 1TB sata Crucial MX500, an 8TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub, an illuminated keyboard, an ethernet cable to connect with my mac to try VE Pro out, a thermaltake mouse pad and an extra 16gig stick of same specced ram.
I just missed out on getting a second monitor as i couldn't decide in time and that sale finished on the dot.

So what happens? well I was exhausted, and fell asleep around 8am thurs morning and slept till 8 pm that night.
I woke up, and at 3 pm there was an email from dell, saying only this:

"Thank you for choosing Dell.
As Dell is committed for secure shopping we wanted to validate the purchase and provide additional security to the transaction. So requesting you to reply from Work or Student email and confirm your purchase for the above order number."

I had no idea what they were even on about, i am not a student and my mobile number they already had is my contact, they also had the landline number.

So i was going to call them in the morning and ask them to explain, but further down my email list, there was a second email cancelling the order.. 3 hours later! That was their entire patience span!

So..I hadn't answered them cause i was asleep, no warning on "this must be answer by so and so a time", and they have gone and cancelled my order, but of course, the 1804$ is still blocked on my card. I guess they never deal with people who work at night and sleep during the day, or someone who might just not check their email every 10 minutes due to a busy day?

I don't even know how to react anymore.

I mean i feel like i have been dealing with idiots all week, and obviously I have, but there's only so much I can take.

Obviously, i never, ever want anything to do with dell again.. let's just see how long they take now to give me my money back too...

So.. can anyone recommend a brand of pre built PC that works ok and the sales people and support staff are not complete, 100% morons?

I mean, i have even condensed this post.. you wouldn't believe the hoops I had to jump through every time i spoke to someone there. I feel like I am in the twilight zone!

I have NEVER, in 10 years dealt with any disrespect or sheer incompetence to this level with apple.. ever.. not even close..
and it has pushed me right back to them...(but that imac pro price tag is keeping me at bay).

I do not want to build a PC.. i am not well enough at present to build a whole PC from scratch, installing a ram stick I can do (to be blunt, I get spontaneous shaking in my hands and they react like when a knee reacts to a reflex test, because of the meds I am on). and the pre built audio daw's are far too expensive.. The whole point is to save money.. So it has to be a ready to go HP or something..

hence why i am asking if any of those brands are better than hell. Any brand? I'm willing to try it. Even if it's a little more, up to 2500 AU.
I am considering the Acer predator 500 laptop with 6 core intel inside and nvidia GTX1070..

Thanks for your attention, you are probably as annoyed as I am lol.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Is it normally this hard to order a windows computer? Dell Hell.

Customer service has wet the bed almost every where. I've been pulling my hair out over the most ridiculous things this year. It's getting worse and worse and worse. Great. Now my blood is boiling just thinking about it.

Good luck with the PC!
Old 08-02-2018, 04:16 PM

This is why I build my own.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Customer service has wet the bed almost every where. I've been pulling my hair out over the most ridiculous things this year. It's getting worse and worse and worse. Great. Now my blood is boiling just thinking about it.

Good luck with the PC!
Dell moved put all Australian based call centres overseas.. there is no one left here other than in corporate..

Their ratings at productreview.com.au are the lowest of any company.. 1 star over 324 reviews.. apple has 3 stars overall, so that's a big difference.

I only found 2 positive reviews for dell out of the 300+. Crazy. And EVERY single one was about customer service, even for people on their premium support plans. They presume everyone on the other end is computer illiterate (i get this, they have to start with their standard questions as many people calling wouldn't have a clue what to do), but the problem is, they are actually really incompetent themselves. I liked this machine as it was fully upgradeable and accessible...

anyway.. I will just look again at a pro daw builder but the prices are scary.. just an 8700K with 32GB ram, a crappy silent graphics card, 512GB ssd and 1TB 7200rpm drive, is 3600$. No screen.
His prices aren't bad considering the support one will get and he's local.. and parts prices seem to have gone insane here anyway.. i compared to building a ryzen 2700x system with 32GB ram, 512 ssd, 1TB SSD, radeon 580x 8GB, 800w corsair power supply, fractal R5 case, noctua cooler.. and it's 4 grand from one of australia's most popular online custom build stores....
so.....

i guess that's why the Ryzen 1700 system for $1800 total including a 4K screen appealed so much. I spent 941$ extra aud on the sale to buy

-Seagate 8TB Backup plus with usb 3 hub
-Thermaltake Mouse Pad with cord bungee (yes i am going to install a second copy of windows on wintousb on a samsung T5 SSD i have had for ages and not used, so i can play games and keep it entirely separate from my daw).
-Apex Steel series illuminated KB
- High quality 3 metre Lan cable
- 512Gb Intel 760P, 3000 read 1500 write, NVME (to replace included 256GB NVME on dell).
- 1TB Crucial MX500 Sata SSD (to replace included 5400rpm 2.5" drive in dell).
- 1x 16GB 1.2V 2400 DDR4 sodimm (what dell uses, machine comes with one 16Gb stick, wanted to go 2666 as ryzen loves the speed but $$$$).

Total shipped $941 AUD.

So the system total would have been ~$2700

but that includes 1.5TB ssd storage, 32GB ram, and that delicious 4K borderless screen (thinnest bezels i've seen, no webcam up top, nose cam LOL).

And the beauty of it is, the two drives already in the dell would not have gone to waste.. I have a single blade thunderbolt to nvme case here, so i would have put in the 256GB nvme and used that on my macbook for a superfast samples drive (nexus/steinberg absolute collection and a few others)..
And the 1TB 5400 RPM sata drive would go in a USB3 enclosure and an extra backup drive.

So really all in all, i think it was a bargain, no?

I mean i could call them and tell them they made an error and to reinstate it, but at this stage I am even terrified they might charge my card AGAIN, they are so incompetent.

The guy that told me he would always be available directly, has not answered any of my emails ( i sent him one shortly after the order, to please ask him NOT to put McaFee or office on it, as the config page for that machine lets those options be removed, and after i paid, he sent me an order confirmation WITH those options). Nope.. not a word from him since wed night (fri 10am here now).

What about a HP AIO? Similar price with 6 core mobile processor but only intel HD 630 graphics....
I heard that unlike the dell, they are dead quiet, and the build is in the base not the screen and 100% user accessible. The video on it was actually really cool, you have access to everything with a couple screws.

First thing I will do, IF i do get one of these OEMS, is make a windows 10 USB boot disk and format the machine and install the OS only and essential drivers...

Oh by the way, is it worth the 99 USD to upgrade to pro? Since updates can only be deferred anymore, not cancelled, is there any point for just a single machine DAW? Or is home that they come with fine? (HP has option to choose pro for 100 more at order time).
Old 08-02-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
This is why I build my own.
As said, too difficult for me with my shaky hands.

I tremble.. a LOT.

Slot in parts I can do, but building from scratch, i'd need a proper anti static work area and need to install a motherboard and PSU which in turn needs to be connected to everything, not to mention the fans.. i just don't have the health to do it right now.

I used to work at a PC shop when I was in my 20's and built many systems.. I know it's basically the same concept, but yeah.. those hands
Many times i can't even play the keyboard properly any more

I did think of buying the parts, buy part by part at whoever had the cheapest, then hire someone to build it.. BUT.. i can't find anyone for in home service to build PC's! PLENTY overseas LOL.. but in melbourne?

If you know anyone.. YES, i am willing to do it that way!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:18 PM

Too bad you're not in the States or the UK. The Pro Tools PC might be pricey it's solid. Well, with the exception of the OS. You had a good idea on a different thread. I would gladly pay a premium for a bare-bones OS.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Too bad you're not in the States or the UK. The Pro Tools PC might be pricey it's solid. Well, with the exception of the OS. You had a good idea on a different thread. I would gladly pay a premium for a bare-bones OS.
Understood, but the guy that builds them locally is a guru anyway, that's all he does, build windows DAWs.. he's the guy that created dawbench benchmark, and lives close by.. If i went with an expert builder he's the one.. and his prices work out cheaper than Dom's anyway when the USD is taken into account... but still it doesn't solve the problem of $$$$ for a good system..

It starts to get to imac pro prices, that's all.. granted, with a lot more internal storage, but still...

it almost makes me think to get an imac pro and just save a bit longer, to get a 10 core one with 64Gb ram, and bootcamp it and test both OS for myself on the same machine.. but the $$$.. yeah....

The key here is to pay no more than 2500 all up, and now I'll have to get a screen which i wouldn't have to do with dell, so a good 2560x1440, let's say 3K all up max.

Hey if anyone from melbourne reads this, and you reckon you can build the machine for me if i buy the parts, send me a PM, and off we go! totally open to that, just let me know your hourly rate and we'll make a time!

Cheers
Old 08-02-2018, 06:28 PM

An hour on the phone at dell (was waiting whilst typing above)

to tell me that she doesn't know why my order was cancelled other than a credit card verification issue.

Of course I am looking at my online statement now, and dell computer, $1804, is pending LOL.

Funds are blocked.

She has asked me if i'd like to replace the order.

Now, i have finally gotten rude.

I said, are you joking? Your company has almost given me a stroke.. Never in me entire life have I been treated with so much contempt...

you cancelled my order without warning yet gave me NO indication you would even refund me on the cancellation email, so i even have to chase you up for that!

She said, who did you speak to to ask to process the refund? I said, YOU, NOW.. i was only calling to ask why it was cancelled and how long the refund would TAKE, are you saying if i hadn't called i wouldn't have gotten a refund? do you understand why I am so frustarted?

As it turns out, she needs to contact the finance department, and will have "news" for me on when i get my refund within 24 hrs.

I profusely objected and said, not 24 hrs, TODAY. I NEED that money.. Do you understand? I told dell when i ordered it, to be certain it was all OK, as by choosing them i would miss out on opportunity to get an asus laptop with identical specs for 1699 at 15% off (true, it finished that night, identical specs other than 1080 screen and 4GB ram graphics, but same processor, graphics card, etc)...

And now i need to still buy a computer.. and you can not hold my money and try make interest on it on the weekend as people like your company do, when i am not receiving a product.

So she promised she would call today, but she won't.. So i called the bank, they said there is nothing i can do until the pending transaction has come through, THEN I can raise a dispute.

They said if dell sends them a merchant release form with the transaction number, they can release the funds back immediately.

Yeah.. right.. i am not even going to bother trying to explain that one to Dell...

to me as far as i am concerned right now, Dell are criminals who don't care less about individual personal customers.
I am making an official complaint to the better business bureau, and now i will have to wait if i go for a high end system, as there is not enough money on my card.. So as cartman would say, they have literally effed me. Every way they can.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:51 AM

I build my own....

But then again that’s why there is Pro Tools PC.com so you don’t have to hassle with Dell
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.