Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2018, 02:27 PM

Default Controlling PT main outputs with MacBook volume controls

Hey folks, I'm having some issues using Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.4 on my MacBook Pro. Audio from the PT main outs is coming out my laptop speakers/headphone jack (I'm not using an interface), but the laptop volume controls aren't having an effect, so I'm getting blasted. Seems like something simple and obvious that I'm missing, any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:52 PM

Default Controlling PT main outputs with MacBook volume controls

Sounds like you might have ‘Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys’ enabled in System Preferences. Most people do when using PT so that the function keys can be used to access PT functions.

If you do, hold down the Fn key at the same time as adjusting the volume and it will override the above setting. Will work for brightness etc. as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Controlling PT main outputs with MacBook volume controls

Hey Sardi, thanks for the reply. That doesn't seem to be the answer, however, the volume/mute keys work fine for all the other Mac audio, and I don't have ‘Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys’ enabled in System Preferences.