Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-07-2019, 06:45 AM

Default How to transfer 32bit float into session without clipping

So I recently started doing location work and had problems with actors clipping my Tascam field recorder in dramatic scenes. So I just upgraded to the new Sound Devices MixPre 6 II which has 32 bit float recording. After seeing demonstrations of 32 bit float on the MixPre I thought this would solve the problem. I did a test where I set to 24bit and screamed at the top of my lungs and sure enough it had horrible clipping. I then set it to 32 bit float and really went for it, to my pleasant surprise on playback it sounded super clean even though I gave it everything to make it clip, it didn't. To my disappointment when I tried to bring the files into pro tools it was clipped. When bringing the clip gain down I expected to see waveforms devoid of clipping but they were squared off. I made sure my session was set to 32 bit float. My mic has 115dB spl limit. The only thing I can think of is my Mbox 3 pro is the bottle neck. So, how do I get my 32bit float files into pro tools so I can recover the the peaks I know should be there? What step am I missing.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:16 AM

Default Re: How to transfer 32bit float into session without clipping

Exactly how did you "bring" the files to PT?
Old 11-07-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloj View Post
What step am I missing.
Did you turn down the level with clip gain inside PT so the maximum is below 0dBFs on your PT meter? Anything above will obviously clip your D/A converter depending on your calibration.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Exactly how did you "bring" the files to PT?
I imported them first with the import command. Then I tried dragging them in from workspace browser. Same result.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Did you turn down the level with clip gain inside PT so the maximum is below 0dBFs on your PT meter? Anything above will obviously clip your D/A converter depending on your calibration.
Yes, I imported into PT then brought the level down with clip gain. Are suggesting I may have not pulled it down far enough to reveal the peaks? Maybe I should watch a few vids.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, I imported into PT then brought the level down with clip gain. Are suggesting I may have not pulled it down far enough to reveal the peaks? Maybe I should watch a few vids.
OK, did you HEAR clipping, or was it a visual waveform clip.

Protools has an issue with 32 bit float, that cant redraw the waveforms properly.

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-ii-faq/
Old 11-07-2019, 01:58 PM

The question is how did you transfer the files. ADAT, sPDIF, AES, MADI are all 24 bit transfer formats.

So what media did you record it to and and how did you move those audio files to keep them 32 bit?
Old 11-07-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
OK, did you HEAR clipping, or was it a visual waveform clip.

Protools has an issue with 32 bit float, that cant redraw the waveforms properly.

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-ii-faq/
It was visually clipped. I mean like square waves. It sounded clipped to.me.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The question is how did you transfer the files. ADAT, sPDIF, AES, MADI are all 24 bit transfer formats.

So what media did you record it to and and how did you move those audio files to keep them 32 bit?
I recorded it on a Sound Devices MixPre II and just transfered the files. I do understand the concept of 32bit float and actually asked this question on Curtis Judd's youtube channel. "how do you get the 32bit float files out of the recorder into a DAW without rendering the files clipped as I know 32bit float can only exist internally." to which he replied that the DAW will recognise them as 32bit float. So the question remains, what do I need to do? I'm just importing sound files from a recorder in the usual manner except making sure my session is 32bit.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I recorded it on a Sound Devices MixPre II and just transfered the files. I do understand the concept of 32bit float and actually asked this question on Curtis Judd's youtube channel. "how do you get the 32bit float files out of the recorder into a DAW without rendering the files clipped as I know 32bit float can only exist internally." to which he replied that the DAW will recognise them as 32bit float. So the question remains, what do I need to do? I'm just importing sound files from a recorder in the usual manner except making sure my session is 32bit.

Was it import ADD, or COPY??

Remove the flash drive from the Mixpre, not the SD.
Copy your files to the audio files folder.
Do the import ADD, NOT COPY.
I have a Mixpre 6 MkII also, but inly run into waveform issues.