Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 04:32 PM

Default how to use pro tools first with a if you don't have an interface

Hi, I need to know how to use pro tools first with just a usb mic plugged into your computer. I own the at2020 but the version that plugs rights into the computer, (not the xlr) but I can't use it as a input source in pro tools first because it wont come up. Do i need to buy an audio interface to be able to use pro tools first for recording?

No mater what setting I use it wont show up (I dropped down the bar it doesn't show anything except "none") please help.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Re: how to use pro tools first with a if you don't have an interface

Windows or Mac? USB mics are not the standard input even with PT Free. I don't use a usb mic so I cant say for sure but you could check the mic makers website for a driver that will work with pro tools. System , OS version info to help better, but the chances aren't great that you can use Pro Tools this way(without a real interface)
Old 05-22-2018, 08:30 PM

Yep Windows or Mac?

On Mac it's supposed to be a class compliant device so CoreAudio should just work, but you'll only have the Mic input and headphone output working . although you can try using aggregate IO.

On Windows, what driver does device manager show Windows automatically installing for the Mic?

Why do you need an interface? Uh because you need some device to listen to audio out of, and/or record audio coming into it. You can just use a Mac's built in output as the interface if you just want to mix audio, or you can try aggregating that with the Mac's Mic input or your AT2020 Mic input. Or you can use a Windows PC standard audio card, as long as it supports ASIO or WASAPI drivers or if it only has a WDM drivers then you need to use ASIO4ALL to wrap that driver to look like ASIO. Don't blame us... we can't guess what audio device is in the PC you decided to buy or why you picked Windows with it's awful history of pro audio support... Windows is fine but *you* need to be on your game, preferably with a nice ASIO compatible audio interface. On Winfows, make sure that the system sound is *not* set to use the Mic for Windows sound input or output. The only software using that should be Pro Tools.

And USB Microphones are generally just a bad idea. They are very inflexible, especially with Pro Tools. You are much better off getting standard analog mics and using the preamp built into an interface. And having that interface also drive your monitors and/or headphones.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-22-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM

Yep Windows or Mac?

I use windows and its a computer that I built, I would love to go out and get an audio interface but 1. I don't have the money 2. if I did get the audio interface i would then need to go out and buy the xlr version of the At2020 since I have the usb version. so i'm trying to not go out and buy a new mic when i have a perfectly good one here... (i'm using a desktop) also this is what the device manager shows. I appreciate the help.

On Mac it's supposed to be a class compliant device so CoreAudio should just work, but you'll only have the Mic input and headphone output working . although you can try using aggregate IO.

On Windows, what driver does device manager show Windows automatically installing for the Mic?

Why do you need an interface? Uh because you need some device to listen to audio out of, and/or record audio coming into it. You can just use a Mac's built in output as the interface if you just want to mix audio, or you can try aggregating that with the Mac's Mic input or your AT2020 Mic input. Or you can use a Windows PC standard audio card, as long as it supports ASIO or WASAPI drivers or if it only has a WDM drivers then you need to use ASIO4ALL to wrap that driver to look like ASIO. Don't blame us... we can't guess what audio device is in the PC you decided to buy or why you picked Windows with it's awful history of pro audio support... Windows is fine but *you* need to be on your game, preferably with a nice ASIO compatible audio interface. On Winfows, make sure that the system sound is *not* set to use the Mic for Windows sound input or output. The only software using that should be Pro Tools.

And USB Microphones are generally just a bad idea. They are very inflexible, especially with Pro Tools. You are much better off getting standard analog mics and using the preamp built into an interface. And having that interface also drive your monitors and/or headphones.