Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Exclamation Channel Gain Weirdness when opening successive sessions

Did about four searches before posting, sorry if this has been addressed...

Mac Pro 2x2.66 (1st gen)
5GB RAM
HD3 (Digitest card order Accel, Accel, Core)
192 I/O

Since upgrading to 8.0.1, I've been experiencing wild gain swings when closing a session and opening a new one, i.e. I'll close an open session, open another session, and all audio will be distorted, or will vary wildly as if the volume automation has been redrawn randomly.

This happens with all sessions after the initial open session, including creating a new session.

Quitting PT completely, restarting, and then opening the session in question seems to resolve it, and has been my workaround.

Digitest returns all normal. I'm using no plug-ins in these sessions that aren't approved, and the only non-approved plugs loaded at all are the Dyn II and EQ II as my tasks require the backward compatibility.

8.0cs1 and cs3 did not present this problem, yet had other wonkiness that resulted in crashes, so much that I actually prefer having to restart in this fashion every time to working through hard resets of my Mac.

Any insight?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:42 PM

Exclamation Re: Channel Gain Weirdness when opening successive sessions

*crickets*
Old 10-19-2009, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Channel Gain Weirdness when opening successive sessions

I'm curious about this. Did you trash all the pref's?

And Database folders?

I have a first gen MacPro that PT8 doesn't like as much. It only has three GB of RAM and I ordered another four - hopefully that will help a bit. But I've heard of the distortion on input of PT8 fed from the Studer, but on playback, everything's fine.

When you say you you're using approved plugs inthe session, is it possible there are non approved plugs in the folder? If anything, the journey of updating to PT8 has taught me the importance of funky plug updated versions and trashing pref's or the plug pref after removing those funky non-approved plugs into the unused folder - otherwise, they're still cached in PT. And then the fail starts. I was just removing the plugs, and restarting PT. I guess it's not enough.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 PM

I've had the same problem, but it was a while ago. Levels would be off scale and distorted and pump. It seemed to me to be associated with DSP cache. Resetting that after closing the offending session usually cleared it up.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Do you both have DSP cache enabled?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 AM

I did have DSP Cache enabled. Disabling seems to have fixed it.

Also, for some reason the drop-down arrow was showing on my Accel #2 and not my Core card. Looks like I'll have to re-do my card order here shortly...

Thank you both!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:12 AM

I have seen the same thing happen occasionally. Quitting and relaunching Pro Tools solved it for me. I guess this was essentially purging the DSP cache. Without a reproducible pattern it is hard for digi to track down and fix.