Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-18-2001, 03:48 AM

Default Opening 5.0.1 Sessions in 5.1

Anyone experiencing bizarre Pro Tools activity when trying to open 5.0.1 sessions in 5.1? I started a project on 5.0.1 in L.A. and brought hot swap Cheetah 10k's back home, opened them in 5.1 (wanted, perhaps -needed- beat detective) and a long saga of problems has crept up. The Cheetah's are unusable. DAE errors out the arse ... they won't even play. My only solution has been to copy onto internal 7200 rpm IDE's. They've been great to me in the past, I don't tend to record much over 32 tracks, so IDE's work. Also the smoothest situation has been to start with a fresh session in 5.1 and import tracks from all of my in progress 5.0.1 sessions. (Footnote: it seems you must open 5.0.1 sessions and save them as 5.1 sessions before trying to import tracks from them. Otherwise errors none like I've seen before pop up.)
Incidentaly, I just ordered a Firewire hotswap raid array that uses 7200 rpm ATA/100 IDE drives and I'll be posting my results soon. Check it out at Granite Digital all you scsi haters. The whole thing looks pretty revolutionary.

Cheers,
marc

It's so depressing to sit in front of a computer fixing sh*t all the while one could be making music.
Old 04-18-2001, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Opening 5.0.1 Sessions in 5.1

Hey Marc - it sounds like a textbook disk driver and/or SCSI card issue. What utility were the Cheetahs initialized with? Were the SCSI cards in both CPU's the same? (Perhaps an ATTO in your rig & an Adaptec in the L.A. rig…?! guessing here) After you've copied everything off the Cheetahs, just re-initialize them on your rig with the formatting utility you always use, and they should be fine.

On the other issue, whenever you move from one PT version to another, you do indeed need to open the session, then save (it'll ask for a new name, I just use 5.1 suffix) before you can do any new work. Prior to saving in the current PT version, PT can't properly access/apply the code instructions for your commands, and y'got trouble! I've opened dozens of 5.0.1 sessions in 5.1 & then continued on without problems, just by following this procedure. Good luck.

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 04-18-2001, 11:19 AM

Brilliant. Text book indeed - must be, given that you've guessed my scenario exactly. Atto here, Adaptec in L.A. - But, there's an unfortunate bummer. I'm supposing the problem must be fairly imbedded because I've tried Initializing a fresh drive with Atto drivers and copying sessions to no avail. There's a definite odor (and maybe double coincidence) of a bad Atto card. Firmware, ProTools Express PCI version, etc. are all up to date. Also, I'm running a new AGP G4 466 with os 9.1 (anyone know of an AGP extender cable? the cinema display is indispensible, but the computer is too close for quiet)

Thanks for the reply Brian. Much appreciated.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:15 PM

There is a posable fix that worked for us. In the ATTO setup utility (I forget what its called) there is a check box that says "ignor drivers" or something to that effect its tward the bottom. What it does is ignore the driver that was put on the drive by the formating software and controls the drive with the ATTO driver, and lets drives formated with other software work with ATTO cards. Sorry about the vaugness but I'm at home and the ATTO is at work.
We spent all day with simular problem and this finaly fixed it.
SK
Old 04-19-2001, 06:43 AM

Hey Marc - I think the checkbox Noiz2 is talking about is "inhibit driver loading". Did you try to reinitialize the drive with any other utilities (FWB v4.0 or Apple Drive Setup)? Quick as it is, I'd try it just to narrow the list of possible culprits. I'd also reseat the ATTO card… sometimes all this stuff needs is a good wiggle (and don't we all, now & again…)

Re: the video extension, try this link to NTI. I'm using their 25' at home & 50' on my mobile PT rig - no ghosting, perfect! http://www.networktechinc.com They also make USB extenders with repeaters built in for those loooonnng runs.

Warmest Regards,
Brian