Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2014, 10:19 PM

Default Room reverb... Emulating small spaces, without sounding "artificial"

I was poking around the internet, and came across a video that demonstrates an excellent "fake" room sound.

http://youtu.be/_VCiautHNMI

I really like this one. I'm not so good at setting up reverbs, it's something that my brain just doesn't do as well as most of my cohorts. But this sounded really good, and (to my ear) organic enough to pass in a mix as a real space.

Do you folks have any tricks to emulating this kind of space? I do have a couple reverbs at my disposal, most notably Reverberate, CSR, Reverb One, Revibe, and the lightweight Magma reverbs. Seems like there are specialty products for this (softube makes some Amp Room and feedback modules) but I figure I'm an idiot if I can't make do with what I already have.

Oh, and during my search I found out Eventide Omnipressor is on sale for $69 at AudioDeluxe.com
Old 05-23-2014, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Room reverb... Emulating small spaces, without sounding "artificial"

I like that room plug
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Room reverb... Emulating small spaces, without sounding "artificial"

The SP2016 has been a favorite of mixers for 30+ years for good reasons. The plate algo is also excellent for generating short ambiences.

Darryl Ramm
Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I was poking around the internet, and came across a video that demonstrates an excellent "fake" room sound.

http://youtu.be/_VCiautHNMI

I really like this one. I'm not so good at setting up reverbs, it's something that my brain just doesn't do as well as most of my cohorts. But this sounded really good, and (to my ear) organic enough to pass in a mix as a real space.

Do you folks have any tricks to emulating this kind of space? I do have a couple reverbs at my disposal, most notably Reverberate, CSR, Reverb One, Revibe, and the lightweight Magma reverbs. Seems like there are specialty products for this (softube makes some Amp Room and feedback modules) but I figure I'm an idiot if I can't make do with what I already have.

Oh, and during my search I found out Eventide Omnipressor is on sale for $69 at AudioDeluxe.com
There are some great small spaces in Reverberate. There are quite a few in there I ir'd from some popular older digital units that will get you right there. There are tons of presets w space sizes to get you going. I think the omnipressor is unique though and can't make another compressor sound like it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-25-2014, 08:12 PM

Don't forget the old-fashioned way. Send the audio to a speaker in a room. Record a room mic

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-26-2014, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
There are some great small spaces in Reverberate. There are quite a few in there I ir'd from some popular older digital units that will get you right there.
Thanks for the heads up, I guess I hadn't spent much time with the stock impulse responses.

Had a marathon mix session earlier today, I actually did take the time to audition a bunch of stuff in Reverberate, as well as put together a bunch of Bricasti presets for it. I did find some great smaller spaces in the stock library, and used it in combination with Amplitube (thanks, group buy!) to get some pretty convincing "amp room" tones out of a DI track.

I still need to acclimate myself to amp sims, but I'm getting some convincing results already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Don't forget the old-fashioned way. Send the audio to a speaker in a room. Record a room mic
I should borrow a reamp box and give that a shot. I've got an Acoustic AG15 somewhere around here. Not a fancy amp, but worth a shot.