Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Bruce Paine Bruce Paine is offline
Admin Emeritus
 
Join Date: Apr 1998
Location: Carmel, CA
Posts: 2,819
Default Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Hi!
I don't have ProTools, but I'm curious if I've missed anything.
Geir
I personally don't think you should buy any version of Pro Tools immediately, especially on a limited budget.

What I would do first is get a better idea of how it works by looking at some of the numerous videos available on YouTube and elsewhere (There is a link to the Avid pro tools videos in the Links section at the top of the forum). Search Google for videos with the search term Pro Tools.

In addition, and better still, if you know someone with Pro Tools, see if you can observe them doing some work. And if they have the time and inclination, ask them to show you how to do something like you would do in your normal workflow.

After that, and you feel like you want to get more hands on with trying it yourself, you can look into buying an iLok and downloading the demo version of Pro Tools.

But I think you can get a lot of information before you have to spend any money. And by watching more experienced users with Pro Tools, you can get a better idea of how you would like to work, rather than seeing whether or not you like a program by buying it and starting with no experience at all.

Whether you do buy it or not, there are a lot of tutorial resources out there, some free, some paid, that can really help. And of course you can learn a lot just by spending time browsing this forum.

Just my opinion, given your particular situation.
__________________
Bruce Paine
System Details
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-09-2013, 05:34 PM
zedhed's Avatar
zedhed zedhed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 3,902
Default Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

In addition to the good advice given above, I would suggest (depending on ones current level of understanding) learning the basics of sound engineering per se.

Anyone who has a good basic knowledge about this will benefit greatly by being able to use any software program since apart from their different layouts/configurations/unique capabilities, they essentially all do much the same thing.
__________________
Too much blood in my drugstream

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Craig F Craig F is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,591
Default Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderKyss View Post
I may have missed them, but I don't see many "top" producers or engineers visiting here. Lot's of pros, no doubt... But the guys being interviewed by SoS or EQ... not so much.
I know some that read and/or post under false names so there not swamped with how do you do... or can I intern for you questions
__________________
...

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements


Thank you,

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:54 PM
scrnplyr's Avatar
scrnplyr scrnplyr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calabasas, Calif
Posts: 105
Default Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

I've used PT off and on for 13 years and I don't think it's any more intimidating than learning to play the guitar or playing a showcase for the president of Sony records who then refuses your mgr's calls. But seriously yes there is a badass learning curve for all the PT options and variables and there's the expense-but if you love to record music would you rather have a peavy or a rectifier? (I have both but u get the point)

I recorded at Cornerstone Studios in the 90s which featured a 64 channel flying faders Neve board that cost a lot of money and my first PTs rig was 100x more advanced and didn't cost a lot of money compared to...

Yeah, I'm a fan and it looks like PT 11 will be exponentially better - what more can u ask for from an idea that exists on a screen that is essentially trillions of 1s and 0s?
__________________
AJF


Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT10.3.5- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG Mics - MAudio Key49
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Oblique Oblique is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21
Default Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrnplyr View Post
I've used PT off and on for 13 years and I don't think it's any more intimidating than learning to play the guitar or playing a showcase for the president of Sony records who then refuses your mgr's calls. But seriously yes there is a badass learning curve for all the PT options and variables and there's the expense-but if you love to record music would you rather have a peavy or a rectifier? (I have both but u get the point)

I recorded at Cornerstone Studios in the 90s which featured a 64 channel flying faders Neve board that cost a lot of money and my first PTs rig was 100x more advanced and didn't cost a lot of money compared to...

Yeah, I'm a fan and it looks like PT 11 will be exponentially better - what more can u ask for from an idea that exists on a screen that is essentially trillions of 1s and 0s?
Seriously, why PT would be a "rectifier"?? because it's better than an analog console? have you ever tried others DAW?? please, I don't understand why a lot of people love PT, I really can't understand, I'm speechless, also experienced people like you seems to be... I will laugh Are all those people on gearslutz, here and everywhere kidding ME?? Haha, you are kidding me What can I expect from an audio products company if these are the clients expectations? ah yes... PT!
I'm not a spammer, I think this is my last post here, I can't resist this time.
sorry

I mean, if you like PT ok, it's a fact, but please don't say PT is the best of the best. This is ridiculous, people buy it on these statements.

Last edited by Oblique; 06-12-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 PM
zedhed's Avatar
zedhed zedhed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 3,902
Default Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblique View Post
Seriously, why PT would be a "rectifier"?? because it's better than an analog console? have you ever tried others DAW?? please, I don't understand why a lot of people love PT, I really can't understand, I'm speechless, also experienced people like you seems to be... I will laugh Are all those people on gearslutz, here and everywhere kidding ME?? Haha, you are kidding me What can I expect from an audio products company if these are the clients expectations? ah yes... PT!
I'm not a spammer, I think this is my last post here, I can't resist this time.
sorry

I mean, if you like PT ok, it's a fact, but please don't say PT is the best of the best. This is ridiculous, people buy it on these statements.
Wow that post looks like it's been written by a five year old

BTW, can you point out where someone said PT is "the best of the best" or did you chose those words from your interpretation of someone saying PT is the Industry Standard?

Sounds like you have an axe to grind.
__________________
Too much blood in my drugstream

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 PM
peter5992 peter5992 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 468
Default Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Hi!



ProTools has been an industry-standard for audio-production for a long time.

I don't have ProTools, but I'm curious if I've missed anything.

Especially, I'm curious about this forum.



I'm a Reaper-user and in our forums we have a lot of newbies, bedroomproducers and people taking their first steps. Many pros as well, but I sometimes wonder what it would be like, being on a forum with so may top producers, mixers and engineers.

So, please tell me: How's life in ProTool-land?



Geir
Hi Geir:

Are you the same G-Sun from the Reaper forums? I think I have seen you posting on the Reaper forums from time to time. You're from Norway, right?

What would you want to use Pro Tools for? Frankly, I only use Pro Tools for post production audio. For midi composition, or for quickly editing live recorded sounds Reaper is vastly superior. In fact, Reaper is fine for post production audio as well, however I want to work in an environment where I can swap sessions with professional studios where PT is still standard.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Oblique Oblique is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21
Default Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Wow that post looks like it's been written by a five year old
Wow, thank you, are you referring to my lenguage property or at my contents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
BTW, can you point out where someone said PT is "the best of the best" or did you chose those words from your interpretation of someone saying PT is the Industry Standard?

" but if you love to record music would you rather have a peavy or a rectifier? (I have both but u get the point)"
PT IS a standard.
BTW, can you point out where someone said PT is "the Industry Standard" or did you chose those words from your interpretation of someone saying PT is a "rectifier"?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,151
Default Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblique View Post
Wow, thank you, are you referring to my lenguage property or at my contents?


" but if you love to record music would you rather have a peavy or a rectifier? (I have both but u get the point)"
PT IS a standard.
BTW, can you point out where someone said PT is "the Industry Standard" or did you chose those words from your interpretation of someone saying PT is a "rectifier"?
First things first:
I think zedhed was referring to both your language skills (property as you say) AND the content of your post. Amateurish at best. Of course if English is not your first language and you're working through an online translator than apologies are in order but if not then the opinion still stands.

Nobody said PT is a rectifier - that was your interpretation. As to PT being an industry standard those words have been used many times before by many people in the audio industry/world. Used in more studios than any other daw. True there are some studios that use other daws instead of PT or alongside PT.

edit for additional thoughts:
I've read your other posts here and you seem to have a real angst against Pro Tools. You seem to be more comfortable with Logic or another daw that has features you like that work differently in PT. You want to bend PT to your will and are frustrated you can't do it and want it to be changed so you can do so. Truth is that isn't going to happen as there are a LOT of people out there that are get along quite well with PT as is. They learn to work with the system and features which I suggest you might want to do so as well. You might actually find you like PT as it is.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 06-13-2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Oblique Oblique is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21
Default Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
First things first:
I think zedhed was referring to both your language skills (property as you say) AND the content of your post. Amateurish at best. Of course if English is not your first language and you're working through an online translator than apologies are in order but if not then the opinion still stands.

Nobody said PT is a rectifier - that was your interpretation. As to PT being an industry standard those words have been used many times before by many people in the audio industry/world. Used in more studios than any other daw. True there are some studios that use other daws instead of PT or alongside PT.

edit for additional thoughts:
I've read your other posts here and you seem to have a real angst against Pro Tools. You seem to be more comfortable with Logic or another daw that has features you like that work differently in PT. You want to bend PT to your will and are frustrated you can't do it and want it to be changed so you can do so. Truth is that isn't going to happen as there are a LOT of people out there that are get along quite well with PT as is. They learn to work with the system and features which I suggest you might want to do so as well. You might actually find you like PT as it is.
Yes, english is not my lenguage. I'm sorry, I don't use a translator but this is the best I can do to explain myself.
I know that PT is a standard and I think no one can say the opposite. I've never said this.
What I have to say instead is that PT isn't simply different from others diffused DAWs but that it's worst! All is way more complicated, not because it isn't in my habits but because it simply requires more steps for almost everything. For example I've tried ableton and the learn curve was funny, PT is pure frustration.
So, my anger is not only directed to PT but most against all this users that claim it as the most powerful, the fastest etc etc DAW in the market.
I've bought a copy because i want a pc based DAW, based on the reputation I was expecting something decent, nothing more, but I was wrong because this is clearly the most inferior DAW I've tried.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updating Problem Protool 7,1,1 to Protool 8 wilrock 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 0 04-29-2009 01:10 PM
Remaining in PT land... bigd Tips & Tricks 11 10-19-2004 08:37 AM
Hassle in Digi Land Deemac38 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 4 01-07-2004 02:58 AM
Jump into TDM Land Camilo Orozco 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 3 03-29-2003 11:36 AM
Trouble in DSP land..... bobdodgy Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 5 04-04-2001 07:31 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com