Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2019, 08:20 PM

Default Pro tools hd upgrade question.

I currently run a HD2 (TDM) rig on an old 2009 Mac Pro and am finally starting to see signs of needing an upgrade all around. I have a HD I/O 16x16 analog and have purchased the avid native thunderbolt box. If I purchase a new iMac pro and a license to pro tools ultimate. Would I run into any issues with the thunderbolt native box and my HD I/O? I would just need to install the hd native driver correct? No need for digilink I/O license? Am I correct?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Pro tools hd upgrade question.

You need the DigiLink IO license. That comes with hardware not the software. Since you are not purchasing an Avid interface you would normally need to buy that separately, or you can try begging for one. But any way you absolutely need the license for current Pro Tools Ultimate to work with any DigiLink interface.

The easy way to get all your questions answered is to pick up the phone and call a sales rep at Sweetwater or Vintage King.

But what problem are you really trying to solve. Do you really need Ultimate software features? There are lots of fantastic interfaces available that work with Pro Tools, or Pro Tools Ultimate (if you don’t mind the 32 IO and some other limits).

And I would not rush to buy a new Mac Pro... well not the current a new very old Mac Pro. I might wait and see what the new new Mac Pro looks like, or get a iMac, Mac Mini or MacBook Pro.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You need the DigiLink IO license. That comes with hardware not the software. Since you are not purchasing an Avid interface you would normally need to buy that separately, or you can try begging for one. But any way you absolutely need the license for current Pro Tools Ultimate to work with any DigiLink interface.

The easy way to get all your questions answered is to pick up the phone and call a sales rep at Sweetwater or Vintage King.

But what problem are you really trying to solve. Do you really need Ultimate software features? There are lots of fantastic interfaces available that work with Pro Tools, or Pro Tools Ultimate (if you don’t mind the 32 IO and some other limits).

And I would not rush to buy a new Mac Pro... well not the current a new very old Mac Pro. I might wait and see what the new new Mac Pro looks like, or get a iMac, Mac Mini or MacBook Pro.
Can I use the avid hd native box and my hd i/o with standard pro tools 12 and the digilink I/O license?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvizeny View Post
Can I use the avid hd native box and my hd i/o with standard pro tools 12 and the digilink I/O license?
Nope

You need a HD license to use the Avid HD PCIE card or TBolt Box with the 16io interface. The non HD (Vanilla) version of PT2018/2019 will not work.

As you already have a HD license to run your TDM system you can upgrade that to PT2018/2019 aultimate and then you will get the Digilink license included free as stated here:

https://www.avid.com/licenses/pro-to...ink-io-license

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-19-2019, 09:38 PM

(Thanks Christopher in the correction on DigiLink licenses included in upgrades). ... to be clear you need an Ultimate license and a DigiLink license for Pro Tools to work with a DigiLink interface.

But again what exactly do you need... assuming you need Ultimate, or assuming the “best” upgrade path is to stick with your HD IO may not be correct.

What Ultimate features do you need? Advanced automation? Surround? Track limits? ...

What DigiLink IO features do you need... basically more than 32x32 IO and easier latency management on hardware inserts.

You lose all the low latency tracking/monitoring benefits of your current TDM rig with HD Native.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
(Thanks Christopher in the correction on DigiLink licenses included in upgrades). ... to be clear you need an Ultimate license and a DigiLink license for Pro Tools to work with a DigiLink interface.

But again what exactly do you need... assuming you need Ultimate, or assuming the “best” upgrade path is to stick with your HD IO may not be correct.

What Ultimate features do you need? Advanced automation? Surround? Track limits? ...

What DigiLink IO features do you need... basically more than 32x32 IO and easier latency management on hardware inserts.

You lose all the low latency tracking/monitoring benefits of your current TDM rig with HD Native.
Well the problem is I only have a pt hd 10 license and really need to upgrade my Mac. I'm not sure what the best option is because I cannot run hd 10 on any newer Mac and Mac OS.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Well the problem is I only have a pt hd 10 license and really need to upgrade my Mac. I'm not sure what the best option is because I cannot run hd 10 on any newer Mac and Mac OS.
Upgrading from HD10 to PT Ultimate is $999 including Digilink license and 1 year free support and updates of PT so you know that the option is there if you want.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-19-2019, 10:32 PM

Still not understanding what the hard purpose in upgrading is. Why do you really need to upgrade the Mac? That will guide you as well if a Mac Pro, Mac Mini, iMac etc are reasonable options.

If you were running out of voices on a HD2? Running out of memory in 32-bit Pro Tools 10? Things would be clearer. Are you running out of CPU or memory for VIs? Got some other specific issue? I would certainly not rush to buy a current trashcan Mac Pro with entire new model range expected this year.

So $999 for software upgrade + Thunderbolt HDN (already purchased) + paying ~$400 In future years for upgrades and support + entire new Mac ($3k-$5k?)

Vs.

Buy Pro Tools standard ($600 plus ~$200/year in future years for support/upgrades) and a new Mac ($3k-$5k?) and a shiny new interface like a UAD Apollo (pick your model). Once it is working OK for you.. sell your Thunderbolt HDN, HD IO, HD cards and old Mac Pro. (Assuming you can live without that/have checked all sessions you need converted over fine). You can look at what those sell for on EBay. Unless I needed > 32 IO that would be my first choice.

...or....

Your 2009 Mac Pro cheese grater should be upgradeable to deal with lots of issues, DRAM, SSD, and CPU upgrades depending on what you have now. You could look at options there and finding a used PCIe HDN card (~$500?) plus the Ultimate software as earlier.. but that gets you out of having to entirely replace the Mac Pro.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
I currently run a HD2 (TDM) rig on an old 2009 Mac Pro and am finally starting to see signs of needing an upgrade all around. I have a HD I/O 16x16 analog and have purchased the avid native thunderbolt box. If I purchase a new iMac pro and a license to pro tools ultimate. Would I run into any issues with the thunderbolt native box and my HD I/O? I would just need to install the hd native driver correct? No need for digilink I/O license? Am I correct?
Which version of PT are you running now?

I mean, if you're running PT10 you could just as well test the system before upgrading -- just install PT10 to your new whatever computer you choose (the "new" mac pro isn't bad either), install HD drivers, connect HDN thunderbolt box and interface, and fire away. Though current software works better with plugins (PT10 only has 32-bit AAX) you can get a test drive to see that your computer system is up to the task.

Digilink license is required for PT 12.6 and later.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
sell your Thunderbolt HDN, HD IO, HD cards and old Mac Pro
Hey, the guy has already bought an HDN thunderbolt box that is incompatible with old HD cards so likely he wants to keep using the Avid HD interface...?