Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

I built my computer, built around the info. on this thread-and it works like a charm!!!

I`m from norway, so take my spelling with a little of that

I took my spec`s from bladesq and polen with an asus maximus formula and ......!!!

THANKS AGAN!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:43 PM

I'm finally starting to look around to build my first new PT PC in about 3 years. Where do i go to find the most recent list of components that seem to be working/ there's so much info that i'm a little confused. Sorry about that. Is it still page 1 of this thread?

Thanks in advance.

MC
Old 09-14-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carpenter View Post
I'm finally starting to look around to build my first new PT PC in about 3 years. Where do i go to find the most recent list of components that seem to be working/ there's so much info that i'm a little confused. Sorry about that. Is it still page 1 of this thread?

Thanks in advance.

MC
yes. and also the last 20 pages or so of this thread. there are a few newer builds that i've not posted on page 1 because no DVERB results were given. but the build components are there tho

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 09-15-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Well DAE 1115 is definitely the error code for no being able to communicate with the hardware. Can you check the 003 on another computer to see if it works? Is the 003 showing in the device manager? If you connect something like a FW HDD is it recognized? Suspect areas would be the 003 itself, the cable, the firewire chip or some type of hardware or software conflict

If you disable the firewall and anti virus will it show up? Windows views Firewire as a network adapter and certain anti virus and firewall programs will keep the 003/002 from being recognized. MykhalC ran into this with SpySweeper.

The Agere chip is running fine here.
Now i got it up and running on my Mac Powerbook i also tried an firewire hard drive it work perfekt also tried to switch firewire cable could it be my corsair dominator ram ??????
Old 09-15-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSWE View Post
Now i got it up and running on my Mac Powerbook i also tried an firewire hard drive it work perfekt also tried to switch firewire cable could it be my corsair dominator ram ??????
Its highly unlikely its the memory, bad memory would cause the machine not to boot, Cause blue screens, Cause a hard freeze that required you to force a restart. But its unlikely that it would have any effect on your firewire.

So where are we at? The 002 is recognized on your Powerbook so we know its good. The FW port on your new build recognizes a FW HDD so we can assume that its good. You said you swapped the cable or that the old one is working with the Powerbook so we can eliminate that.

Things that could still be wrong.

1)Windows Firewall could be blocking the port and letting Data from the hard drive pas but not the 002. Check the FW port in the network connections window and see if its got a small gold padlock icon on it. If so it means the ports firewalled by the Windows firewall. Right click it select "Properties" and you will find the firewall settings under the 'Advanced" tab. Click on "Settings" and turn it off.

2) That chip was two ports and if you haven't yet done so try installing the firewire port extender that ASUS includes with most boards into a PCI slot and plug that into the extra FW header on the motherboard.

4) There is some sort of software conflict, If you've installed anything other than Pro Tools you might try uninstalling it and see if it makes a difference. Also a complete clean install of PT never hurts along with deleting all of the prefs and Digidesign database files.

3) Something in Windows has gone awry during the install process or immediately afterwards. If you have a old drive to do a temporary clean Windows install to I would try that and see if a fresh install makes a difference. I wouldn't wipe the main drive out doing a clean install quite yet.

4) You might try disabling the firewire controller in the Device Manager and then rebooting which should force it to reload the Windows IEE 1394 drivers.

5) Sometimes its just easier to pick up a Digi approved FW card and drop that in rather than wasting a lot of time chasing gremlins. The Agere is working here (and for other folks) but theres a chance that its just not quite good enough for your 003. Digis FW devices seem to be quite picky some times and anything that varies minutely from being 1000% class compliant throws them into a tizzy. The SIIG and ADS Pyro FW cards seem to always work.

Hopefully this helps.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Its highly unlikely its the memory, bad memory would cause the machine not to boot, Cause blue screens, Cause a hard freeze that required you to force a restart. But its unlikely that it would have any effect on your firewire.

So where are we at? The 002 is recognized on your Powerbook so we know its good. The FW port on your new build recognizes a FW HDD so we can assume that its good. You said you swapped the cable or that the old one is working with the Powerbook so we can eliminate that.

1)Windows Firewall could be blocking the port and letting Data from the hard drive pas but not the 002. Check the FW port in the network connections window and see if its got a small gold padlock icon on it. If so it means the ports firewalled by the Windows firewall. Right click it select "Properties" and you will find the firewall settings under the 'Advanced" tab. Click on "Settings" and turn it off.

2) That chip was two ports and if you haven't yet done so try installing the firewire port extender that ASUS includes with most boards into a PCI slot and plug that into the extra FW header on the motherboard.

4) There is some sort of software conflict, If you've installed anything other than Pro Tools you might try uninstalling it and see if it makes a difference. Also a complete clean install of PT never hurts along with deleting all of the prefs and Digidesign database files.

3) Something in Windows has gone awry during the install process or immediately afterwards. If you have a old drive to do a temporary clean Windows install to I would try that and see if a fresh install makes a difference. I wouldn't wipe the main drive out doing a clean install quite yet.

4) You might try disabling the firewire controller in the Device Manager and then rebooting which should force it to reload the Windows IEE 1394 drivers.

5) Sometimes its just easier to pick up a Digi approved FW card and drop that in rather than wasting a lot of time chasing gremlins. The Agere is working here (and for other folks) but theres a chance that its just not quite good enough for your 003. Digis FW devices seem to be quite picky some times and anything that varies minutely from being 1000% class compliant throws them into a tizzy. The SIIG and ADS Pyro FW cards seem to always work.

Hopefully this helps.
Have done a clean installation of xp firewall turned off used the second port off the digi 003 first time i started pro tools i got the firmware update
after that tried to start pro tools again it frezzed was forced to hit the reset button to start the computer again after that i got dae error 1115
sometimes and sometimes not im confused

Every time i turn my computer off and the 003 and then turn them on again my computer frezze forzing me to push the reset button
Old 09-16-2008, 03:08 PM

I've been waiting and saving for a long time now and I might pull the trigger tomorrow on parts.

One final question:
I don't plan to use the wifi on the P5K deluxe and it's going for 179 on newegg right now (159 with rebate). I plan to use all recommendations from this site for all the parts. Are there any equivalent motherboards with firewire but no wifi that I could use with equally good results and save a few bucks? If I have to I'll pay for old faithful but it seems like a waste since I don't need the wifi and there are probably newer/better boards out there.
I'm going with a Q9550 and 4gig of 1060 ddr2 ram.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:

Hopefully this helps.
solved the problems i think i was reading page 55 in this thread and Myhkal was talking about a program called linksys and some problems with windows wireless zero config so i turned wireless on in bios and installed the drivers for it then i stopped windows wireless zero config in services
still havent found linksys though but now pro tools opens
Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
I've been waiting and saving for a long time now and I might pull the trigger tomorrow on parts.

One final question:
I don't plan to use the wifi on the P5K deluxe and it's going for 179 on newegg right now (159 with rebate). I plan to use all recommendations from this site for all the parts. Are there any equivalent motherboards with firewire but no wifi that I could use with equally good results and save a few bucks? If I have to I'll pay for old faithful but it seems like a waste since I don't need the wifi and there are probably newer/better boards out there.
I'm going with a Q9550 and 4gig of 1060 ddr2 ram.
When asked about Ram compatibility in the newegg forum, I got this reply. Is this true?
"1066 is a Overclock rating for DDR2, memory makers artificially test memory at 1066 MHZ (generally manually clocked over 1.8V) ina memory tester machine.
You put that in ANY P35 based DDR2 motherboard, and it will auto-detect at 800 MHz 1.8V"

Is there a modification in set up to get it to detect 1060? Should I just get a P45 board. Any particular ones?

Also, any input from my previous question would be greatly appreciated regarding a non wifi replacement to the originally recommended mb.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
When asked about Ram compatibility in the newegg forum, I got this reply. Is this true?
"1066 is a Overclock rating for DDR2, memory makers artificially test memory at 1066 MHZ (generally manually clocked over 1.8V) ina memory tester machine.
You put that in ANY P35 based DDR2 motherboard, and it will auto-detect at 800 MHz 1.8V"

Is there a modification in set up to get it to detect 1060? Should I just get a P45 board. Any particular ones?

Also, any input from my previous question would be greatly appreciated regarding a non wifi replacement to the originally recommended mb.
The DDR2 1066 is outside the JDEC memory specification that officially tops out at DDR2 800. Theres no modification that needs to be done other than setting the memory speed manually in BIOS (this is all explained in the manual most people don't read). The Asus boards all boot one speed slower that the memory auto detects at to ensure that the machine will POST and boot the first time rather than hanging or locking up because the memory timings are to tight. The bottom line is that DDR2 1066 is just fine.

WiFi is not necessary at all, any P35 board should work although I would avoid the Gigabyte stuff for the moment because of the BIOS issues that some have had.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88