Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Default Compatible Mixing Boards for 003

Hi folks -

This is my first post here. Nice to meet you.
I have a question---
I'll be upgrading to a rack 003 system.
I'm using a mac pro with 4 gig of memory and of course, an external hard drive.
I'm looking for a mixing board that is compatible with the digi 003. One that will record and mix. Is there anything out there?
Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-14-2010, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Compatible Mixing Boards for 003

Welcome to the DUC. the simple answer is ANY....and NONE. Seriously, what are you expecting the mixing board to do? It won't work as a controller(a few digital mixers may operate in HUI mode). Mixing ITB(in the box) allows full recall of all mix settings and moves(PT has very good automation). Expanding the number of inputs requires digital connections(you can't just plug in a board with USB or firewire and have it show up in Pro Tools). Using external hardware(in general) with an LE system is sort of a waste of time. Unless your hardware is really top-quality stuff, plugins will give better results(and offer full recall). Analog summing is another story, but that can be done with any of several summing boxes(or a mixer) but I would not be using anything like a Mackie for that purpose(I'd rather use some good "warmth" plugins like some stuff from McDSP or softube). Tell us what you really want, and we can offer more "in tune" advice

BTW, since you have a Mac Pro, I would load that baby up with more internal drives and leave the firewire drives for transfer and backup.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Welcome to the DUC. the simple answer is ANY....and NONE. Seriously, what are you expecting the mixing board to do? It won't work as a controller(a few digital mixers may operate in HUI mode). Mixing ITB(in the box) allows full recall of all mix settings and moves(PT has very good automation). Expanding the number of inputs requires digital connections(you can't just plug in a board with USB or firewire and have it show up in Pro Tools). Using external hardware(in general) with an LE system is sort of a waste of time. Unless your hardware is really top-quality stuff, plugins will give better results(and offer full recall). Analog summing is another story, but that can be done with any of several summing boxes(or a mixer) but I would not be using anything like a Mackie for that purpose(I'd rather use some good "warmth" plugins like some stuff from McDSP or softube). Tell us what you really want, and we can offer more "in tune" advice

BTW, since you have a Mac Pro, I would load that baby up with more internal drives and leave the firewire drives for transfer and backup.
Great advice... but here's something from the flip side.

There are a number of mixers that do work well in HUI mode. There are some really excellent digital mixers out there, but they aren't cheap. Again, it really depends on what you want out of it. However, a good mixer can be a great all-in-one solution that will unleash the full potential of your 003.

For example, Yamaha's O1V96 will expand your 003 to it's full 18 I/O via ADAT and S/PDIF. It's also a pretty nice HUI controller, and is surprisingly easy to get accustomed to for a digital mixer. It's also not insanely out of budget, either. It has some nice onboard effects, but I'd still rather use plugins for the most part. However, realistically, for around $2500 you are getting 12 pres, pretty decent converters, more effects, and a HUI controller, which is a pretty good deal in the end.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-15-2010, 06:20 AM

Hey guys-

Thanks for the advice. There was a typo in my letter- I'm using a mac book pro,
LOL
I'd like to take advantage of all the IO's the 003 has, that's why I was thinking about using an outside mixer.
I'd also like to be able to use some out board gear along with plugins. Is this doable?
Thanks so much,
MC
Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 AM

Dism raises a good point, and its certainly all doable. The real questions are; is it worth it(your decision) and does it make your projects sound better? Getting 18 inputs is easy. Add an 8 channel lightpipe preamp and a 2 channel SPDiF preamp and you're all set(and this can be done for about $600, depending on how "expensive" your tastes are). Adding outputs is almost as easy(16 outs with a single DA lightpipe unit like Behringer ADA8000 or Presonus Firestudio), but there is potential trouble in paradise there; First off(and this may be MY lack of genius) I have not been able to make outputs 1&2 NOT follow the main outputs(meaning I could never get them to work as a separate feed with a separate mix). Also, going thru the lightpipe DA(I used a Presonus Firestudio) I found that the audio was not sample-accurate with audio from the 003 analog outputs. Now admittedly, the time offset was not measured, and was SMALL, but it MAY bother some(depending on how you route audio). For me, it complicated my headphone mixes(phase issues) so I dropped that idea. So, in closing, getting the full 18 inputs its easy(and doesn't require a mixer). Having 16-18 outputs.....only you can decide how important that is(I prefer to stay in the box until I can afford exceptional outboard summing).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylolo99 View Post
Hey guys-

Thanks for the advice. There was a typo in my letter- I'm using a mac book pro,
LOL
I'd like to take advantage of all the IO's the 003 has, that's why I was thinking about using an outside mixer.
I'd also like to be able to use some out board gear along with plugins. Is this doable?
Thanks so much,
MC
You can use plug-ins and outboard processors in combination. But, if you're new to all this then it would be easiest to use one or the other. And we still don't know if you are intending to use the mixer for mixing/summing or for the preamps to be a front end for the 003, or both.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 AM

I was thinking about using it for both scenarios -Still investigating about the pros and cons and do appreciate the input.
MC
Old 09-15-2010, 04:28 PM

If you're just looking to record your own band you might get by with the 003 "rack+" which is the 003 rack with 8 mic inputs/preamps. If you need more inputs than 8 then add on using the ADAT optical connection of the 003....so buy more converters (with preamps) that have an ADAT output. I think this is a better way to go than buying a cheap mixer to submix to get everything down to 8 inputs.
Now if you start with a 003 and a really nice stereo preamp (ie. think $800+ per channel) I think you can potentially make some great recordings. Mix it all in PT. Your money will go farther (sound quality for the dollar) on plug-ins than analog outboard eq and compression. So it's much better to buy a $200 plug-in than a $200 analog compressor. I think the stock PT plug-ins are decent though.
If money's no object then it's another story...
Old 09-16-2010, 06:30 AM

that's real good advice In the Woods- I think I'll check out the 003 rack+ in conjunction with good pres.
Thanks a lot!