How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Default New (used) 11R expansion pack question/ issue

Hey everybody!

I bought a used 11R that came with the expansion pack. I loaded Pro Tools. However, its like PT does not "know" that I have the expansion pack. For example, using the hardware interface I can edit the speaker breakup but PT does not have the option. Also when I load a preset that has the ampeg style amp PT does not load the amp.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 10-09-2011, 04:16 PM

Default Re: New (used) 11R expansion pack question/ issue

You have to run the first section of the ERXP (Eleven Rack Expansion Pack)

The ERXP does 2 things.

1: Updates/Installs the needed GUI plugins into the Pro Tools plugin folder, so you can see the new ERXP items when using the 11R Window in Pro Tools.

2: Updates the Firmware of the Eleven Rack (installs the new amps, effects, ect...)

Pro Tools since 8.0.1 has included the base GUI plugins for the Eleven Rack window. But in order to see the new item (Bass Amp, SOD Amp, PEQ, ect..) you have to run the first section of the ERXP which installs the needed GUI plugins.

Contact the seller, tell him if you are on Mac or PC, they will then download the correct file(s) (you should get a copy of each installer mac and PC just incase you need the other one later) They will send the files to you, then you will run the first section of the ERXP. That will place a firmware updater on your desktop, discard the firmware updater since your 11R is already updated, and only the original owner can use the Firmware updater portion anyway.

Eleven Rack Expansion Pack (ERXP) FAQ

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the awesome info!

Can I download the expansion pack if I file the transfer of ownership paperwork?
Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 PM

No you cannot. Avid will not transfer the expansion pack, at least right now.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:23 PM

That is correct. Avid does not do software transfer for many programs. It is the duty of the seller to make the files available for you. Just email the seller, and request that he email it/upload it for you.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 PM

I got it. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 PM

Angry Re: New (used) 11R expansion pack question/ issue

This is just plain stupid. I have been wanting to start a post on this and have just been putting it off. Sorry to hijack, but I am more than a little pissed. First off, I am having similar problems due to not being able to update PT for use with the expansion pack. Avid not supporting software is a weak cop out. I am not asking for the firmware upgrade. I am asking for the software to upgrade pro tools. My 11R is already upgraded, and I have done the transfer of ownership, and have the serial number for the expansion pack. All I am asking for is the first part of upgrader. Something that Avid has no problem with you using on any computer that you plan to use with your 11R, whether it is yours, or your friends. I can do nothing with this software, but make my own 11r usable.

On top of that, they are the company that requires me to use PT, but yet won't give me the software to use it with an 11R that was upgraded legally. I don't get it. Why not just give me the software? What are they protecting? Nothing. I can do nothing with it, but use a legally upgraded 11R.

Another question, is it really software? I say no. Was the original Plexi, or Deluxe models software. No, they are firmware. Just like what I have, just the newer version. In fact, as we all know, the expansion pack is now part of the 11R. All I am asking for is something that they do not restrict the use of, but yet they won't give it to me. I was told to contact the seller. Great idea. Can they also make him reply?

It is a shame to see such a great product made by such a stupid company. Had I known it was going to be like this, I would have kept my GSP1101. At least I could edit the presets on my own computer. I could care less about PT. I don't record, but I have to use it because the power mongers at Avid make me, but then don't give me the tools to use it. There might be an 11R for sale soon, and I won't be coming back if it is gone.

Rant done, and I will step down now. Sorry to hijack.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse76 View Post
I was told to contact the seller. Great idea. Can they also make him reply?
No they cant make him reply, but why would the seller not get back to you? Have you emailed the seller and asked him to send you the ERXP?

Quote:
It is a shame to see such a great product made by such a stupid company.
The company is not stupid, but it was an unwise decision to not make the UI updater freely available IMO.

Quote:
I don't record, but I have to use it because the power mongers at Avid make me, but then don't give me the tools to use it.
The 11R works just fine without Pro Tools open. You can still make all the adjustments you want right from the 11R itself.

Are you on Windows or OSX?

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 PM

Benoni,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I contacted the seller and explained everything to him. He told me that he would work to get it to me. That was two weeks ago. I have emailed him since, and no reply.

I will stick with my original comment that they are stupid. No stand alone editor, forcing your users to use a bloated interface for the simple task of editing presets. Not supporting this product, which I still don't consider software. It is a hardware upgrade. No matter how you look at it. It only upgraded the 11R, not PT. PT had no more options or usability after the upgrade. After reading many posts about problems with the 11R, I go with stupid still. They are limiting their customers experience and satisfaction because of their policies. It took me two hours waiting on the phone for customer service just to transfer the ownership, and I already had the paper to do it. Upgrade drivers? I needed a damn map to find that on their site. The PT disc didn't have a scratch on it, and it wouldn't read in any of the three laptops in the house. A common problem from what I have read in other posts. They wanted me to pay $15 for a replacement disc. I didn't want PT, but I had to have it, because they say I do.

As far as editing on the 11R. I know that I can edit on it, but when I want to make mass changes such as location, or rename stuff, it is much easier on the laptop. I edit all of my sounds through the 11R, and I use PT for organization.

And to answer you last question, I am on Windows.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Jason
Old 10-14-2011, 11:24 AM

I gave away my copy of PT (never installed on my computer), and have absolutely no problems using my ER.

I guess I can sympathize a bit with your frustration, Jason, but what do you gain by venting it here? If you want to be heard by someone who matters, a carefully-worded letter to someone in Avid's executive staff will get you a lot further than will spewing vitriol on a public forum. Yes, you may find some sympathy among other users, but you're just as likely to encounter someone like me who'll say that your problem could have been avoided had you done your homework before the purchase.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and guess that PT is your first DAW software. Anyone who has worked with (or researched) DAW software will tell you that the good stuff is always protected with strict licensing and hardware dongles. This isn't the throwaway version of Cubase that you get for free with low-cost guitar gear; PT is a professional tool.

I read the ER manual (available online at no charge, and easy to find using Google) after I auditioned the ER and before I committed my funds. There's no way to ignore the fact that you *must* use PT to host the ER editor and to save and restore patches. If PT didn't have daunting requirements regarding how you must set up your computer in order to properly host PT, I might have given it a try. But I wasn't willing to restructure the way I use my computer in order to accommodate PT, so I resigned myself to using the ER without PT.

Likewise, just a bit of investigation would have informed you about the need to transfer the ERXP along with the hardware.

I fully agree with you that it'd be nice if Avid would release a standalone editor/librarian for the ER. That was one of the first things I voted for on IdeaScale. A standalone ER utility program would make a lot of people - myself included - really happy. But I can't understand the anger aimed at Avid for requiring *you* to abide by the same license restrictions as all their other customers. You made some assumptions that turned out to be wrong; assumptions that could have been corrected had you done just a bit of research before clicking the "Buy It Now" button (or however you closed the deal).

Caveat emptor, eh?