Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2018, 12:07 PM

Default Subscription License Has Expired

I currently have an annual subscription set to an auto renew plan. However, in the middle of a session with a client moments ago, PTs closed and was replaced with the “Subscription License Has Expired” window (attached). It has always work fine and this is the first time it has happened. Yes, the Ilok key is plugged in. Most importantly—other than figuring out what is going on—"how do I keep the software from shutting down in the middle of a session with a paying client in the future?" I'm still down waiting on support to contact me back. ~Bryan

Last edited by bryanlewis73; 05-30-2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: MIspelling
Old 05-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Subscription License Has Expired

Disconnect from the internet?
Old 05-30-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_studio View Post
Disconnect from the internet?
Tried that, but get the following message: "Cannot connect to the software activation server because there is no internet access available."
Old 05-30-2018, 12:49 PM

When I open Ilok manager I notice that my Pro Tools subscription expiration date is 05/30/18 at 1:00pm. However, my Avid account shows an active annual subscription on an auto renew plan that expires Mar 31, 2019. I just want to keep this from happening in the future. I had to send the client home today!
Old 05-30-2018, 01:07 PM

Thanks for posting. Mine is due at the end of June. I qualified thru the education version and they just sent me another renewal notice. I am set for auto-renewal. I will check in with this post periodically.
2009,2012 8 Core Mac 5.1, (32 gigs Ram), MSI Radeon 570,s 2011,17 MacBookPros , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X , 8Pre, OSX Mojave 14.6,High Sierra 13.6, DP11, PT2024.3 , Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11,Cubase Elements 11,Reason 11, DSP-Quattro 5.5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
Old 05-30-2018, 01:14 PM

I had the same problem a month ago when my plan was renewed. The iLok licensed might need t be refreshed. I contacted Avid support and they fixed it quickly. Less than an hour.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:49 PM

Their response is below.

However, I have a few issues with this: (1) I checked with my bank and my debit card is working fine, so it is nothing on my end. It is the same card I have been using for months with this subscription. (2) If my billing date is 5/31/2018 as they say, then why is it affecting my subscription on 5/30/2018? (3) How do I keep this from happening again in the future, as I had to send a paid client and musicians home? Number 3 is the real issue for me!!! Not cool at all! This simply won't fly in the future.

Their response:

"With regards to your inquiry, we do really apologize for the inconvenience that this caused you. I have checked your account and see that your billing date is on 5/31/2018. In this case, our system is trying to capture a payment on your card and please be informed that rebilling will take place within 24 hours and you can then use the software again. In the meantime, please use the temporary license that I have deposited to your account so you can continue using the software. Please have them activated through your iLok License Manager. We are closing this case now but if you need further assistance, you can reply to this e-mail and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible"
Old 05-31-2018, 04:42 AM

One final post from me concerning this issue. Why? Because Avid has dropped the ball here and awareness needs to brought to attention of all music professionals. At 2:05am, I received an email from Avid saying, "your annual Avid Subscription payment has been processed." Remember the two previous issues I raised: (1) I checked with my bank and my debit card was working fine, so it was nothing on my end. It is the same card I have been using for many months on this subscription. (2) If my billing date is 5/31/2018, then why did Avid shut down my subscription on 5/30/2018? Perhaps, the problem was with their third party billing company, Arvato Systems in Germany (support will not say for sure).

So here is the problem then Avid friends. You can't do this to a person while in the middle of a session with a paying client and paid musicians. I love Pro Tools. I have been using it for years as it is an industry standard (esp. in Nashville where I do the majority of my work). However, for the first time, I am considering moving on to different software. Thus, please make this new iLok Cloud stuff fail safe.

So then...

How do I keep this from happening again in the future, as I had to send a paid client and musicians home?

Last edited by bryanlewis73; 05-31-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:40 AM

Perpetual licenses don't have this issue.

*hint
Old 05-31-2018, 12:01 PM

Indeed. My incident occurred at my office which only has a subscription license. My personal license is a perpetual HD/Ultimate that I reinstated earlier this year after letting it lapse a couple years ago.