Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-25-2017, 10:46 AM

Default Delay Compensation not working

I've been using PT 12 since it was first released without issue. Recently I am intermittently having automatic delay compensation issues. I notice that the snare starts to flam. When I turn off the overheads the flamming stops. If I turn off all plugins there is no flam even with the overheads are on. Zooming in on the waveforms shows that the overheads are not out of alignment with the snare.

The the problem will then disappear all of a sudden and everything is fine for an hour. Then it returns. This happens without me doing anything I'm aware of. I cannot track it down to any plugin in particular.

Does anyone one have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation not working

It appears to be a bug in PR 12 Native. I found that when I hide and make inactive an aux while a song is playing back, it seems to break the automatic delay compensation. Even after reloading the song or restarting PT the problem sometimes persists. The suddenly it will disappear.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:28 PM

That sounds not fun at all.

Is there a way you can provide detailed steps to reproduce the problem? Perhaps by creating a new session some minimal steps to make it happen? If so, we might be able to help narrow this down, collectively and submit it to tech support.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Hi All, I am new to the forum but been using Pro Tools a few years. I came across a possible bug in Pro Tools 12.8 I have been able to reproduce the error on a different system and a different project. As it relates to this topic (I can't start a new thread) I will post it here.
The root of the issue: A virtual instrument, let's say drums, is receiving notes from a midi track. quantized.
On another track a plug-in is inserted , a plug in that causes Delay Compensation to kick in.
Everything is a ok during playback.
However: when I freeze or commit the virtual instrument, the timing is completely off.
I tried realtime bouncing but no luck. The only workaround is to make all plugins that have ADC inactive (so there is no actual ADC) then a commit is working properly.
I have reproduced this on 2 different new installed Mac systems with different sound devices and with a pro tools 12.7 project (that didn't have the problem).
I even created a new project in 12.8 with a:
- miditrack containing a few notes routed to
- A virtual instrument track , let's say the piano
- a third audio track , no audio, just insert a plugin that causes the ADC to work

then freeze or bounce: you will immediately notice/see the delay between the midi notes and the wav files from the frozen track.

Any help on this matter ? I am happy to provide the test-project.

BTW this is just protools 12.8 on a Mac not the HD version

Last edited by henkschenkworst; 08-04-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: addition & correction
Old 08-04-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkschenkworst View Post
Hi All, I am new to the forum but been using Pro Tools a few years. I came across a possible bug in Pro Tools 12.8 I have been able to reproduce the error on a different system and a different project. As it relates to this topic (I can't start a new thread) I will post it here.
The root of the issue: A virtual instrument, let's say drums, is receiving notes from a midi track. quantized.
On another track a plug-in is inserted , a plug in that causes Delay Compensation to kick in.
Everything is a ok during playback.
However: when I freeze or commit the virtual instrument, the timing is completely off.
I tried realtime bouncing but no luck. The only workaround is to make all plugins that have ADC inactive (so there is no actual ADC) then a commit is working properly.
I have reproduced this on 2 different new installed Mac systems with different sound devices and with a pro tools 12.7 project (that didn't have the problem).
I even created a new project in 12.8 with a:
- miditrack containing a few notes routed to
- A virtual instrument track , let's say the piano
- a third audio track , no audio, just insert a plugin that causes the ADC to work

then freeze or bounce: you will immediately notice/see the delay between the midi notes and the wav files from the frozen track.

Any help on this matter ? I am happy to provide the test-project.

BTW this is just protools 12.8 on a Mac not the HD version
Known Issue and as far as i know ... it is being worked on .. hang in there ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-04-2017, 12:24 PM

Hi John1192,
Thanks for your reply. Ok, a bug it is.

I am currentlly uninstalling 12.8 and reinstalling 12.7.1

Strange this hasn't been tested, Pretty basic functionality, I mean in addition to my post, not only the track freeze isn't working: bouncing the whole project isn't working either.

To be honest I wonder what the heck 12.8 is out for ? It only brought me this showstopper and 0 usable features.

No problem with the subscription model, I am a happy pro tools user for years, no complaints here, but lately the new releases practically contains nothing but hot air and new bugs.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkschenkworst View Post
Hi John1192,
Thanks for your reply. Ok, a bug it is.

I am currentlly uninstalling 12.8 and reinstalling 12.7.1

Strange this hasn't been tested, Pretty basic functionality, I mean in addition to my post, not only the track freeze isn't working: bouncing the whole project isn't working either.

To be honest I wonder what the heck 12.8 is out for ? It only brought me this showstopper and 0 usable features.

No problem with the subscription model, I am a happy pro tools user for years, no complaints here, but lately the new releases practically contains nothing but hot air and new bugs.
there are bug fixes in 12.8 .. but sometimes you fix one you break one .. the nature of Software .. and i think imho they are doing good testing .. things do fall through the cracks .. and it must be tough now that they are trying to put out a new version / or fixes on a tighter and tighter growing schedule of releases ..

i feel like they have trying to get this Business Model to get better and better .. unfortunately all we can do is have patience and try and give them some support by Reporting Bugs in Support Cases ..

if i did not need to use pro tools i might not .. but my business requires it .. so i use it for that part .. and if i want to use something different for other projects sure ... i just like it still !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-04-2017, 08:44 PM

For the most part, ADC works fine here. The 2 times it does not are"
1-if I have a send(on any track) assigned to a bus that goes nowhere(like if I have a send feeding an AUX track with a reverb or delay plugin, change my mind and delete the AUX track, but still have the send in place). That will cause some tracks to have almost 2000 samples of compensation that doesn't belong.
2-If I route a VI(like Superior Drummer) to record as new audio files; things will flam badly during the record pass. Once it finishes, playback sounds fine.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-05-2017, 02:48 AM

Hi Albee,
the ADC is not working. It's reproducible:
1. create a VI track with the piano
2. create a midi track routing some notes to the VI track
3. add an audiotrack and insert any plug in that needs ADC
4. playback is fine
5. freeze/commit and you'll notice the timing is off.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
there are bug fixes in 12.8 .. but sometimes you fix one you break one .. the nature of Software .. and i think imho they are doing good testing .. things do fall through the cracks .. and it must be tough now that they are trying to put out a new version / or fixes on a tighter and tighter growing schedule of releases ..

i feel like they have trying to get this Business Model to get better and better .. unfortunately all we can do is have patience and try and give them some support by Reporting Bugs in Support Cases ..

if i did not need to use pro tools i might not .. but my business requires it .. so i use it for that part .. and if i want to use something different for other projects sure ... i just like it still !!!
yeah, well ok, let's hope they fix it very soon. For now I am back on 12.7 which is working for me.
Hope they will improve on their testing procedures too. this really sucks.
cheers from Amsterdam !

Last edited by henkschenkworst; 08-05-2017 at 03:28 AM. Reason: edits