Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 03-08-2015, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Possible list of supported thunderbolt 2 pcie card for PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritonkorg View Post
Darryl...I'm not part of the research and marketing team for Avid and don't think you are either. Let's not get into that kind of discussion as it doesn't serve a purpose....
You criticized Avid for not doing something, "Too bad Avid hasn't come up with options for windows computers." I could not work out at all what you meant they should do. Too bad Avid has not done what options for Windows computers? Avid have HD and HDX PCIe interfaces for Windows Computers so what do you mean? I doubt anybody here, including Avid folks could follow what you mean. So uh now explaining the comment you originally made does not serve a purpose? OK I'll take your word for that.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:56 PM

Thanks for destroying the thread Daryl. It's ok with me if you don't follow..or you think Avid won't follow .... . It doesn't matter, that wasn't the reason why I started the thread to begin with. You got this big fat attitude. You do this everyday around here?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for destroying the thread Daryl. It's ok with me if you don't follow..or you think Avid won't follow .... . It doesn't matter, that wasn't the reason why I started the thread to begin with. You got this big fat attitude. You do this everyday around here?
I suspect nobody has *any* clue what you meant. It sounded almost like you wanted Avid to build PCIe to Thunderbolt card for a PC? (they can't get around the Thunderbolt and display integration issues that tie all other Thunderbolt adapter cards to specific motherboards). Or what? Needed for what uses? Windows laptops? Asking you to simply explain what you meant? Not sure why you are having a melt down.

The strategic focus at Avid is likely *not* on Thunderbolt, I hope it is on AVB. So it's hard to get too excited about wanting them to do more Thunderbolt stuff. The HD Native Thunderbolt box was mostly just taking what they had already in the PCIe card and packaging it in a box, and was critically needed for the Mac market as Apple unfortunately killed off systems with PCIe slots. AVB is going to be very important for lots of reasons including scalability, simplicity of wiring, (hopefully) cross platform interoperability, etc. And eventually I expect/hope Avid migrates from Digilink/TDM to AVB (and I hope Windows PCs and AVB support gets sorted out)
Old 03-08-2015, 11:47 PM

To get the thread back on track...

If anybody had any success with a particular PCIe card for windows computers, please do share. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:49 PM

OK you two, calm down

if you follow the link I posted back to the ASUS page http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ThunderboltEX_IIDUAL/
you will see it take an extra connection to get the TB working
you have to remember that Thunderbolt is an extension of the PCIe bus and needs to connect to the controller in the bridge chip that make an average PCIe adapter card difficult

and HP screwed up their system design, it takes the PCIe for a high proforamce video card out of the system so the MC guys have to chose their graphic card or TB card but not both

Microsoft is the one not doing enough to drive TB adoption on Windows machines. The OS is the gatekeeper, maybe 10 will be better

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-09-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Microsoft is the one not doing enough to drive TB adoption on Windows machines. The OS is the gatekeeper, maybe 10 will be better

I agree, Bill is too busy being a philanthropist, and Ballmer is too busy trying to run a Basketball team

Meanwhile PC users get hosed....Go Clippers
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 PM

So the verdict is that it is impossible to use a Thunderbolt PCIe Card PC to get my HD Native TB box to work?

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
So the verdict is that it is impossible to use a Thunderbolt PCIe Card PC to get my HD Native TB box to work?
if you have one of the few MoBos that can support said card, if not then no

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-22-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Quote:
To get the thread back on track...

If anybody had any success with a particular PCIe card for windows computers, please do share. Thanks!
all you need is a motherboard that supports thunderbolt 2. then you can buy the thunderbolt card for the supported motherboard. If your motherboard does not support thunderbolt you cannot use it at this time.

Luckily I have a motherboard with thunderbolt 2 support. I use a PCI E Hd Native card so I don't use it, but nice to know I have it.

Check out Gigabyte X99 UD4

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=5123#ov

Any X99 Gigabyte board supports thunderbolt 2 (Also works in hackintosh) Here is the link to the thunderbolt card for it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

make sure you have latest bios and it should work no problem!
Old 06-14-2015, 02:06 PM

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...omni-interface

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors