Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Default Mbox mini 3 Confused about ports - Sterio Keyboard PLUS Mic?

Hi

I got delivery of my Mbox 3 mini 3

Im just trying to patch it in and figure it all out, reading the manual stuff like that

Thing is I have a Casio Px 350 with line out left and right (as well as two standard phones out puts all 1/4)

But from what I can see the Mbox 3 basicly only has two inputs, D1, and D2, and D2 you can set to a line OR mic.

So basicly can I record sterio output from a digital keyboard and a microphone ?

When they say it is combo does that mean you can have D2 be line input as well as Mic as the same time (but I see a switch its one or the other ?)

Any help much appericated if this box does not do it can some one tell me the right mbox, like fast track or higher version.

thank you
Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Mbox mini 3 Confused about ports - Sterio Keyboard PLUS Mic?

You only have 2 inputs at one time. If you're using both inputs for the keyboard, you'll have to record the vocal separately.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 AM

ok thanks I understand but whats even the reason for this unit exsisting if you cant connect it to a primary instrument like a piano and record it properly with a mic?

I am new to music equipment but have worked with computers for 15 years, in video terms this would be like selling a box that records vga but only red or blue but not green, or red and green but not blue etc.

Can any body list me a unit which does record piano (properly) and also mic input?

thanks for the below swift reply nst7, allows me to resolve this today.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 AM

First thing you need to know is how many inputs do you require, then buy the product that meets that requirement. The Mini would be good for someone who wants to record 2 inputs at a time (guitar and vocals?). If you want to stick with an Avid device, the MBox Pro should do it:http://www.avid.com/US/products/Mbox-Pro (you will need a Firewire adapter). If you're open to any brand, then there are countless 4 input and up devices out there.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 11-12-2013, 06:54 AM

Yes, as Joel mentioned, figure out how many inputs you need and then choose an interface that has it. Interfaces with only 2 inputs, like the Mbox Mini, are very common and meet the needs for a lot of people.

As a workaround, if you really want to record your vocals at the same time that you record your keyboard, you can record the keyboard with a mono input, but record the midi information as well, and then after you're done, send the midi out to the keyboard and re-record it in stereo using both inputs.