Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2013, 09:25 AM

Default AVID: EuCon 2.71 doesn't save settings

I recently upgraded my EuCon software to 2.71 (Mac) in the hopes of fixing some of the other nagging problems with my Artist Mix.

Turns out, instead of the other annoying things not being fixed, now I have to manually select my Artist Mix every time I reboot my computer (even when it's set to "Automatically Add").

The other STUPIDLY ANNOYING thing is I now have to manually deselect the ANNOYING "Shift + fader sets level to 0dB" which is the most ANNOYING STUPID PAIN-IN-THE-REAR "feature" known to mankind every time I restart. Did I mention how ANNOYING it is??!

Seriously Avid… $1200 for an average controller that is crippled by your lame EuCon software. And it took almost 2 years for this software update?? What a joke.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:53 PM

Default Re: AVID: EuCon 2.71 doesn't save settings

Nothing surprises me with the Artist series. I bought the first generation more fool me but it looks like nothing has changed in terms of quality. I posted yesterday about a problem I have but to be honest I've given up with the gear (2 x mixes 1 x controller ). I had Mackie controllers before which whilst not perfect were rock solid compared to the Artist series. I fell for the sales pitch and the shiny "match your Mac" look.

I've auditioned an SSl Nucleus and its a real piece of quality hardware which is basically the same price I paid for the Artist stuff. It arrives later today!

I want to sell my Artist gear but I feel morally obliged to tell the buyer what he's getting for his money!!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 PM

Yeh, the SSL looks great but lack of EuCon is a big step backwards IMO.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM

Avid Tech Support?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Ive not had this recently but I did see it before I bought a dedicated switch for the surface and computer. Also I have had a lot better behaviour by switching on in a certain order.
1. Switch on computer
2. Run Eucon software, wait until E stops spinning
3. Switch on Artist/MC device, wait for connection
4. Start Pro Tools.

I hope it helps
Old 06-20-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfelton View Post
Ive not had this recently but I did see it before I bought a dedicated switch for the surface and computer. Also I have had a lot better behaviour by switching on in a certain order.
1. Switch on computer
2. Run Eucon software, wait until E stops spinning
3. Switch on Artist/MC device, wait for connection
4. Start Pro Tools.

I hope it helps
It may not be the case here, but as a broad general rule, you want to turn on all of your peripherals before starting your computer. And after turning on the peripherals, you want to wait at least 30 second after turning on the last peripheral (1 minute is better).

This allows the computer to more easily identify whatever is connected to it which it must do when it starts up. If you turn on (or plug in) a device after the computer has started you increase the risk of problems with the device's operation.

And remember that the devices we use in the recording world are somewhat-to-a-lot-more "finicky" than most consumer devices...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
It may not be the case here, but as a broad general rule, you want to turn on all of your peripherals before starting your computer. And after turning on the peripherals, you want to wait at least 30 second after turning on the last peripheral (1 minute is better).

This allows the computer to more easily identify whatever is connected to it which it must do when it starts up. If you turn on (or plug in) a device after the computer has started you increase the risk of problems with the device's operation.

And remember that the devices we use in the recording world are somewhat-to-a-lot-more "finicky" than most consumer devices...
Absolutely agree with you except in this case, hence why I made the point. If you switch things on in the normal correct or you can get diconnects from the artist unit, however by switching the artist on last after everything has settled it seems to be more stable. I can only guess that this might be to do with network traffic or the way dhcp is working but im not sure. The key seems to be for the eucon software to have tried its initial search and stopped (e stops spinning) then switch on. I have suggested this to other who have had the same result but YMMV.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:04 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

I know in my case I have to start them before I boot the devices do not work.
If anything happens to the modem I have to reboot again (restarting EUCON and powering Off/ON the consoles does not help).

Last time Logic didn't detect Eucon even if I started everything "properly" and I just gave up...