Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 PM

Default Vista all the way

Hi Everybody,
I waited two months before posting this info in relation to Vista. I was going to post a week after I moved to Vista, but I wanted to check it out thoroughly with very heavy sessions in most cases, so hence the two months. I can honestly say that it is the first time ever that I have had a system that is so rock solid and cannot be knocked over.

Two months ago, I decided to build a quad having spent some time and paying alot of attention to the info on this forum especially from "Sunburst", "Shan" "Mycal" "SPkGuitar" and others.
One thing I don't understand is why everyone is afraid to go to Vista. Since I moved to Vista and 7.4, I have nothing but a free run with absolutely no errors.

One of the things that I have noticed is that Vista definately writes and reads quicker from Disc, bounces have been as smooth as glass and everything seems alot nippier. The work rate this past two months has been on a 12 hour basis with very heavy sessions and if anybody wants to see pictures of sessions, I will gladly post them.

Alot of people on this forum claim that pro-tools is very finicky but since Pro-tools has a particular requirement, why can't everybody that wants to use pro-tools pay attention to it. One thing is for certain, and I am not saying any of you do, but if you are using any cracked plug-ins or cracked windows installations, then you will have all the errors you want.

I also get feedback from clients in the studio that the sound quality has got alot better for some reason, and I honestly believe this is due to Vista. One thing that doesn't work in Vista is the wave driver but this is not a problem for me since I use the on-board sound for other programmes, so the moral of my post and advice would be for anybody seriously wanting to take full advantage of everything in 7.4, especially elastic audio -(fantastic), I would advise to move to Vista but only after you do your homework and pay attention to some great advice on this forum, even though some of the big posters on this forum will tell you not to use Vista, but I totally disagree with this as I have the machine to prove it. There is one session in particular with approx 30 trks including strike.xpand, reason ,melodyne and all plugs with only 30% cpu usage very low disk usage and no elastic audio usage and Loads of drum loops.this particular sessionwill not run on a dual core anything without serious errors,what does that tell you?

When I say that I have absolutely no errors, no crashes, not a wimper, faultless installations, I mean just that. If anybody feels like asking me any questions or require any more info., feel free to do so.
I dont want to start a flame here but no more xp for me and PT all the way.

Seamus
Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Vista all the way

yeah i've been using vista for the last 4 months!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 PM

That makes two of us but IMO it should be all of us. I hope your experience has been as good as mine.
One other thing Ive noticed is that certain plugs that were showing a small amount of sample delay in xp are not showing a delay atall in vista.Is this perhaps significant?

seamus
Old 06-04-2008, 03:33 PM

I tried Vista, it ran terrible.

My plug-in count ropped dramatically, Dverb test was conclusive.

IMO, you got lucky, as others have with Pro Tools, with regards to chipsets or firewire cards that aren't supported, but work.

Good for you that it worked, but for you to say everybody should use it is garbage.

I'll use whatever works best for me, and at this point in time Vista is not!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:02 PM

Good luck to you
I didnt get lucky used common sense,XP is yesterday. As for plugin count I would say only limited to your trk count which in my case is 48.I did say that you have to be very specific with your build, then it works.
I dont understand,what kind of machine did you have vista on? Lets just say that protools also works on win 98 and leave it at that.

Seamus
Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Glad its working for you. Most Vista users do seem pretty happy.

I did about 3 of the Vista Betas and just didn't like the OS, Things I needed to tweak were not there (EG hardware profiles) things that should be simple user preferences like screen resolution required administer rights to change, Things that should require administer access (like the screen refresh rate) didn't.

I installed Vista to separate hard drive so I wouldn't need to use its boot loader and could select the boot drive in BIOS, After Vista physically ruined its own hard drive/partition (requiring it to be sent to Western Digital) Turns out that Vista rewrites the MBR no matter what you do and you need to reinstall Vista to restore it. I declined to reinstall Vista and had to manually select my boot drive for 3 months until Hawaiian Style software came out with its excellent program called BCDedit that would let you write a new XP boot record. Some DUC benchmarking proved XP to be faster than Vista. I'm not in a hurry to install Vista-although a true 64 bit version of PT would certainly make me think twice.

I surprised that you think that disk writes are faster since the main reason that Vista Service Pack 1 exists has to fix Vistas abysmal transfer rates.

I'm all for new stuff. The old adage of if it works dont fix it also applies.

I like 95, 98R2, ME, 2000, XP Home, Pro and Media Center, Windows Home Server, Server 2003. i dont like Vista

If its running smooth for you I am happy and enjoy the Quad, they rock!

Your happy, I'm happy

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 AM

i have to agree, shea. when sp1 came out i decided it was finally time to give vista a try (on a second drive, of course). i've been using it since then and, while i wasn't totally sold on it at first, i really don't have any complaints. the systems been totally solid and my d-verb count went up 5% (98 in xp, 103 in vista). i even did a clean install of xp on a third hard drive just to double check.

my one and only complaint is that i can't seem to reliably run protools with a buffer setting of 128 anymore. for the most part it's fine, but every now and then it'll 6088 on me in the middle of recording/playback, even with just a few tracks. at 256 it's just fine. i'm contemplating picking up a new firewire card to see if that helps anything, but it seems weird that it would be fine in xp.

ryan
www.lansingrecordnig.com
Old 06-05-2008, 08:20 AM

Ryan,

Are you getting 6088's with Aero turned on or off? If it is turned on, can you try turning it off and see if 128 works for you?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 AM

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!

I'm sorry if my question has been answered on other posts, I haven't yet scrolled through all of DUC.

I have been googling everything to get my MBox 2 to work. Everytime I try to load up Pro Tools 7.4, I get the error message "Unable to locate Digidesign hardware".

Now I thought the reason this was, is that as my 7.3 installation disc had the drivers on it, I wouldn't be able to get drivers while I was on Vista.

I have been trying to dual boot XP on this computer for some time now, thinking this was the error, then I see this post and now I want to keep Vista, hoping it will work for me like it has for most of you.

If anyone can offer any advice on how I can get my Mbox2 working, or even if they can point me in the right direction on where to ask or find out what my problem is, it would be a great help.

Thanks,

~Ash
Old 06-05-2008, 04:12 PM

ryan and Bharath
Aero is always turned on I find that every thing is smoother.I always use 256 but with 128 I dont have any problem eighter.
By the way I didnt install sp1 and I always have auto updates turned off,no tweaks,straight from the box and rock solid.
I must say that digi has done a great job on the transformation to vista.

seamus