Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2010, 05:29 PM

Default Post Production career questions and schools

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations in regards to getting into Post Production and Sound Editing? I come from a music background (last 10 years) but want to learn more about post as a career option. Im aware of the Pro Tools cert classes but (from my understanding) teach you about how to use Pro Tools in post as oppose to how post production works in general. There are several schools near me (in Los Angeles) but they cost alot and I dont wanna waste money that I don't have. Can anyone recommend a good acredited school in LA that is worth all the money? What should i look for when choosing a school for post production?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Post Production career questions and schools

do you want to do post for film, radio, industrial or tv? Knowing that will help you get a feel for what areas you are more likely to need more help in. Finding a school with teachers that work/ have experience in the sub field you want IMHO is a big help.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Don't waste your money on a school especially if you have 10 years of engineering background. All you need to do is dive into it one way or another. Start from bottom, and you'll work your way up fast.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyente View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations in regards to getting into Post Production and Sound Editing? I come from a music background (last 10 years) but want to learn more about post as a career option. Im aware of the Pro Tools cert classes but (from my understanding) teach you about how to use Pro Tools in post as oppose to how post production works in general. There are several schools near me (in Los Angeles) but they cost alot and I dont wanna waste money that I don't have. Can anyone recommend a good acredited school in LA that is worth all the money? What should i look for when choosing a school for post production?
Look at the instructors and the alumni.

If you are looking at more of a vocational school. I highly recommend Video Symphony in Burbank. The instructors for post audio are great and are some of the best in the field (working on hundreds of the top current and past blockbuster hits).

If you want to go the more traditional route, you can't go wrong with USC's School of Cinematic Arts. With alumni like Spielberg and Lucas donating hundreds of millions to the school, in addition to Warner Bros, Fox and Disney, you really can't find a better equipped and better staffed film school in the country.

Some other facts about USC's SCA:

*It is the oldest and largest film school in the US, started in 1929 as a joint venture with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
* Since 1973, at least one alumnus of SCA has been nominated for an Academy Award annually, totaling 256 nominations and 78 wins.
* Since 1973, at least one SCA alumnus or alumna has been nominated for the Emmy Award annually, totalling 473 nominations and 119 wins.
* The top 17 grossing films of all time have had an SCA graduate in a key creative position.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page