Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2016, 04:53 PM

Default Procontrol Fader Pack Has Power but No Lights

Hi, I'm still using a Procontrol to finish up some projects before switching over to PT12. Two weeks ago one of the Fader Packs lost connection with ProTools had to be reset. When i cycled the power the faders moved up and down but no lights. Nothing at all. I have resoldered the PSU, replaced the header panel on the PSU, resoldered all the power connections on all the boards inside the unit. All the power connections are getting 12 or 5 volts. I am at a complete loss here. Any help would be great.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Procontrol Fader Pack Has Power but No Lights

I replaced the power supply ( lucky enough to find online ) and still the same outcome. Unit powers up, faders move up and down and no light, no "Welcome to Pro Control" acrossed the scribble strip. If you move the fader up it will return to zero.

I did notice that the fader control board has 4 leds thats after it finish its power on cycle the first LED will just blink. The communications board has the same set of LED's but on power up all flash and they never come back on.

Could the communications board really be bad?
Old 10-05-2016, 08:49 AM

I'm relatively new to PC and have been reading through the PC threads... it looks like you've addressed the most common power supply type issues... perhaps look into the LED circuit board/ connections and whatnot. User 'Delta Music Belgium' has stated that this board contains a chip that identifies the whole unit to ProTools... maybe all of the led lights are powered through this board. Just a guess but I'd probably poke around up there. I'd probably message Marc Schellekens ('Delta Music Belgium') to see if he could help?... He's become quite the PC problem solver with MANY real world tips and solutions!

At any rate, report back your findings as it will help other users with your not so common problem! Hope you're back up and running soon!!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the info!! I've been literally all over this thing! Soldered resoldered, checked connections you name it I've done it! I'll get in touch with your reference and let you know what I find out.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:35 PM

I'm still alive and kicking rforrest was able to contact me and the problem was actually a bad communication board. He will try to repair it or replace it with a spare one.

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 10-07-2016, 11:50 PM

Marc you are the man!! ... my hero since I got a 32 fader PC!!!
Old 10-07-2016, 11:53 PM

Oh yes, and thanks for reporting back with the prognosis!! The Legacy PC section is a valuable resource for us 'second wave' of ProControl users!
Old 10-08-2016, 05:37 PM

Many thanks to Marc for helping me take the time to figure this out. It was in fact a faulty communications board. I suspect a failed microprocessor, failed capacitor in the power feed circuit, or corrupt firmware. I'm going to rework the board with a hot air rework station and see if its fixes it. I was able to find a communications board here in the states so all is well in the universe again!!

I ended up pulling the communications board out of my main unit and installing it in the fader and it fired right up.

I did however remove every board from the fader pack and ended finding about 15 busted solder joints other than the ones on the powersupply that i had fixed earlier.

These are the videos that i sent to marc that shows the problem on the communications board.

This was the problem with the Procontrol intially.

https://youtu.be/NkHO6Romav0

This is are the LED's on the communications board

https://youtu.be/7V1U-P8tuNg

This what the sequence on the LED's should look like

https://youtu.be/LzYmh_dD8RA
Old 10-08-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforrest View Post
I'm going to rework the board with a hot air rework station and see if its fixes it.
Pretty 'fancy' stuff there rforrest!!

I was unaware of that whole led sequence deal... nice to know.

Glad Marc could help you get sorted out and thanks for posting back with the video links, etc. It will be a great help to others who bump into this problem!!