Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 04:25 PM

Default G5 noise when recording Midi to audio

I've just started having a problem with built-in noise when recording my midi tracks to audio - never a problem until now. I have a 2G Dual processor G5 and previously only had noise when I had the audio out on the G5 going out to 2 other channels on the mixing board. Pulling that cable out used to get rid of any low-level noise. Now it's happening with nothing plugged into the G5's audio out and I see it on input in Pro Tools and showing up on the 192's meters. Anyone have any ideas of likely culprits to check? It's now appearing on every track I convert from midi to audio.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

PT 6.9
OS 10.3.8
HD Accel 2
192 I/O
Digi MIDI
Old 06-16-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Re: G5 noise when recording Midi to audio

Hi,

This sounds like you have some signal coming in on the inputs of your interface, try to disable the inputs from your hardware setup and try to isolate which inputs are causing this!? recording midi to audio!! is this internal or external midi instruments?

Where do your interface inputs come from? are they routd from a mixing desk or a patchbay etc, if yes then try unplugging them from that end etc.

Also check your digital inputs in your hardware setup, make sure they are disabled if you are not using them.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Avid

Also, make sure you don't have some kind of grounding issue. By plugging and unplugging cables, you may be able to determine the source of the noise. There are several options for reducing ground loops like plugging all hardware into the same circuit, using balanced cables where possible, etc.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:23 PM

Thanks, Chris & Digi for your replies. I found the culprit - by disabling "allow nap" in the Processor department of System Preferences, the substantial noise disappeared. I had tried all sorts of troubleshooting with the mixer, ground alternatives, Energy Saver settings that change the amount of fan noise, etc. but disabling "nap" did the trick right away. Apparently, Apple doesn't recommend doing that, but 'til there's another workaround or fix, I'd rather live without the G5-induced noise. Thanks again, guys!