Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM

Default Recording MIDI w/Superior Drummer 3 VST - # of Tracks and Functionality

I have had SD3 for a year, and just started working with MIDI. I am able to listen to/record, but it seems like I may not be setting this up optimally.
I’ve read several posts and viewed several videos – and I’m wondering if the ones I’ve reviewed are just focused on listening to the audio, and not recording the MIDI. Or just looked at recording from the VST and not via Vdrums. Regardless, I’d like to outline my set up and experience to confirm if I’m missing something.

In order to RECORD MIDI and have sounds triggered and played back via triggering from my TD-20, I need to have 1) an instrument track and 2) an SD#3 Multi-input VST INSERTED on that track. Note: If I go to the OUTPUT setting on the Instrument track – I have no option to select the SD3 – only my typical output tracks set up in the IO Setting of PT. With this set up, I can hear sounds from SD3 by clicking the VST Browser screen ONLY - when I play the Vdrums, no sounds reach SD3 – thus I cannot hear anything. I can record MIDI notes – but there is no sound since the SD3 is not triggered.

To solve this issue, I then add a MIDI track and Select Superior drummer on the OUTPUT of that track. The input is set to ALL. I can now hear SD3 sounds on VST browser and from being triggered on the TD-20. I can then record MIDI on either the Instrument track OR the MIDI track.

This configuration works, but based on what I had read – it seemed it I might only need the Instrument track? That is why I’m questioning my set up. For example, I’m wondering if I should be able to just select SD3 on the Instrument Output – avoiding the need for a MIDI track? Thanks for setting me straight!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Recording MIDI w/Superior Drummer 3 VST - # of Tracks and Functionality

An instrument track is all you need and there really shouldn't be any special setup to get it to work.

If you create a new instrument track and choose SD3 as the instrument and can hear sound when clicking on the drums in the interface, then it is set up properly. You should be able to arm the track for recording, which will route the MIDI from your TD-20 to that track and be able to hear sound as well.

System Details
Old 01-21-2019, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Recording MIDI w/Superior Drummer 3 VST - # of Tracks and Functionality

I did tried this again, and I am able to hear and record the midi FROM the TD-20 by selecting the SD3 VST on the Instrument Track. Oddly, the triggers from the Virtual Drums in the SD3 Browser in Protools produces sound, but when I record there are no midi notes recorded? This is not an issue for me, since my primary work flow is playing from my Vdrums/TD-20 and recording the MIDE that way.

Thanks for your reply!

James