Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-16-2001, 10:03 AM

Default Re-install or restore, and what is a \"clean install\"?

Hello,
My DP G4 500 has become very crash prone so finally I dumped PT LE 5.0.1 until 5.1 arrives and I'm going to re-install OS 9.0.4.

1. I have two Mac OS disks that came with my system: install and restore. I have a good idea what each does but which would be better for me to set up a stable G4 running just music apps and maybe Netscape so I can download when I need to? WIll I be without a browser if I do Install instead of Restore?

2. Also, do I need to buy anything or do anything special in order to do a "clean install". I was just going to back up key data to DVD-RAM, trash everything, and either Install or Restore. Which is the clean install, or do I need something else?

thanks,

dave23
Old 02-17-2001, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Re-install or restore, and what is a \"clean install\"?

dave23,
Try disabling all 3rd-party extensions. If that helps, start enabling them one by one until you start crashing again.
You should also try disconnecting USB devices and anything else you added recently.
Run DiskDoctor.

Reinstalling the system is a last resort, if system files are deleted or corrupted. It is also a fool-proof way of getting rid of 3rd-party software. If you feel comfortable checking these things "manually" it's a lot quicker.

If not, use the Install disk. Back up your files. Start up from the Install CD and put your old System Folder in the trash before running the installer, to make sure you're getting a fresh System Folder.

I probably go overboard here, but better safe than sorry. Good luck.
--za
Old 02-17-2001, 11:26 AM

I would suggest that a "clean install" requires that you first initialise the hard drive that you are going to install your system on to.... Thats how we do it here.
Old 02-18-2001, 06:41 PM

Neil Ward posted this excellent link on the DUC some months ago. It was invaluable in helping me set up a no-nonsense custom extension set for my G4 500/ Digi 001. I hunted it down and am sending it on in the hopes that it will do the same for you. www.logicuser.net/extensions/browse.php3 Also, when you get to the brink of a complete clean re-install, check your dilog box for the restore in place option. This WILL reinstall your system software but WON'T touch any files (software, etc.) that you have accumulated on your drive. It has worked for me, but I would urge you to run it by someone smarter than me (almost anybody!) before taking the plunge. Good luck!!! Jerry