Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-08-2016, 08:27 PM

Default Re: switching machines

OBVIOUSLY there has to be a very strict way that data is saved in protools so that it can be opened up somewhere else. it appears as though if they can't save my data it is lost. As it says it is tehre but it is unaccessible. so how do we save projects taht really save projects. I thought I did that. Evidently not. Randy
Old 09-09-2016, 08:50 PM

alas the joy of absolutely being lost. If you are working with one machine and it goes down. Then you have a mess- an absolute time consuming mess. When I saved to my google drive and my passport drive (which is in getting used in the restoration process- I realized that when I saved there was this little box about audio. That I didn't check. so now on my Google drive there are files but only a few have audio. Supposeably the computer that messed up did not lose any data and I will be able to recover everything. If not there are 300 hours down the drain. 300 hours. and I thought I was saving.

You know what you need is a straight up set of teaching that will cover the basics. for the price of the software and stress stress stress stress that everyone use it. I did so many things.
Getting around this company is interesting- it is like they are really trying to find their way.
The stuff I do edit, splice, loops, comping, basic effects, hopefully some midi and hopefully a drum program, heck I even pictch corrected. This aint rocket science- not600 $ stuff. There is so much emphasis on the moneymakers, the phd's of this the high rollers and what they need.
Newbies well screw em- we are important people here. We don't have time for newbies. I will see by Monday what I have but it better be good. Then I will fix my ways and move on.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:00 PM

ok, now i have audio files that I am trying to drop into tracks that i set up. They won'at drop in. They are de-what ever that is (unzipped?) shouldnt they just drop in there? I am gonig to set up a brand new project and see if this works.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:49 PM

I can save the ones i can save but the order they are saved needs worked on. Hopefullly that wont happen again. out of 65 projects tehre is assorted audio on 8 tracks.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:45 AM

Try importing the files instead of trying to drop them onto the timeline. If you're running Pro Tools as Administrator - an Avid optimization - then you can't drag and drop files into Pro Tools.

You are not the first and certainly will not be the last person to be caught not checking "Copy Audio".

And, while saving to the cloud is not a bad idea, you should (also) be using a backup/imaging program like Macrium Reflect (there's a free version) or Paragon. I image my operating system drive and my session drive nightly just in case the disaster you're having happens to me.
Source-Connect: brucehayward

Last edited by The Weed; 09-11-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:37 PM

by the grace of god, everything is on the retrieved disk material from my hard drive that appears to be non functional. I will be buying a new machine, approved one by Dell and the saga continues. I have played guitar since 67 and wrote a lot last 25 years. I started this recording stuff last October- wow, changed my attitude, focused me like never before. Rock star in my 60s well I don't know but I am a focused hard working insurance agent church going studio maniac. Jesus saves and I will be doing a better job myself!