Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-11-2015, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Pre-Roll Latency bug in HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastula View Post
So this indeed goes beyond pre-roll.

Just spoke with avid tech support again and they reproduced this test with the same results i get...

I'm bussing a click track to 2 audio tracks.
I record the click to both audio tracks.
i put 3 instances of Maxim on Audio Track 1
I playback the two audio tracks.
All is well. The tracks play in sync.
i engage the green input monitor button on Audio Track 2
There is flamming.
Yes, and that is because ADC is suspended for that track when you record-enable it and/or engage input monitoring. This is how PT works to give you the lowest latency possible.

Look at your screenshot in post #9. Right below the track name, the compensation value for Audio 2 is 0, and that is why they fall out of sync. You can Ctrl+Cmd+click this value to force ADC to stay on during IM/recording, which I sometimes use when printing VIs and such.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 PM

Wow. I see!
Command-control-click does "fix" the problem.
Thank you so much for that!!

I must say, I can't understand why one would ever choose to have Input Monitoring or Pre-Roll play out of sync. Why isn't it the default behaviour to always play in sync if the option exists?

Also, maybe a moot point, but I don't know why in your initial test, you would have gotten no flamming....

Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:14 PM

Pre-roll stays in sync with TrackPunch, but suspends ADC at the punch point. That way, the musician(s) can hear pre-recorded audio in sync, and in "real-time" the second you punch in. It all depends on your workflow, and what you want to achieve.

Regarding the "moot point"... the audio played in sync during pre-roll when using TrackPunch, which is what I thought your problem was.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:13 PM

So sorry, Stig.
I got confused. I re-read your posts and i think I understand now what is the correct (vs incorrect) behaviour of ADC in these various circumstances....

I then proceeded to thoroughly test my system again, I was still getting my pre-roll problem. I decided to try trashing prefs, yet again.
And suddenly everything seems to be working as it should.
This has happened to me before. It seems sometimes trashing prefs corrects it, and sometimes it doesnt.

At this point, I dont know what to hope for.. 1)my system has a weird intermittent problem...2) it's me.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:49 AM

No worries.

Well, I would try to make sure that it wasn't me. Ruling out pilot error is very important when troubleshooting. I don't recall if, say, the recording mode gets reset when you trash PT prefs, but that's one thing to check.

Watch the ADC values in the various modes. You will for instance see the cmp value switch from xxxx to 0 after pre-roll when using TP.

"Normal" recording modes will suspend ADC, regardless of pre-roll, but others won't because they are designed to allow us to listen back AND punch in seamlessly. Input monitoring will suspend ADC.

Let us know how you get on with this.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:13 PM

Thanks so much for your help, Stig.