Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 PM

Default 5.1 Training for Post

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any 5.1/Surround sound related courses for Post Production (UK or online). No one i know is working in that field at the moment and despite reading a lot of the books out there (tomlinson etc), there's still an awful lot that i don't understand or know how to go about doing.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Default Re: 5.1 Training for Post

there's the Digi PT courses, but I don't know how much they go into actual mixing - not that well related to real-life situations, I should imagine.

Interesting question - those who know how to do it properly are doing it for a living, and possibly not that willing to pass on all their knowledge for their daily rate in a classroom. These things are often best passed down to assistants in post houses who "learn from the masters".

I have in the past done 5.1 for post training for the UK's leading Digi reseller - including Dolby E and all that stuff, but it was usually for in-house staff who were already competent mixers and had just bought an icon and Dolby E kit, for example.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:30 AM

I've tried a few of the places that are around here but they were not very willing to share with someone outside their studio (fair enough I guess..). I'm currently working freelance in Post for the last year, mainly sound design with some mixing, and 5.1 is cropping up quite a lot recently. ICON is on my shopping list for the new year and i had looked at the ICON Digi course (I have the Post and Music operator certs from college) but i think that is more to do with using the actual desk.
Unfortunately being freelance I am both master and student and learning your mistakes on national tv is a bit scary....!!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
there's the Digi PT courses, but I don't know how much they go into actual mixing - not that well related to real-life situations, I should imagine.
There was a lot of advertisement for Digi products, and the quiz could be answered by looking at the website.

Get an internship at a post-house and/or bother a lot of people from the UK that are on the DUC about checking out their studio for a day or so. Make those connections. Good luck!

-Ryan

•Pro Tools 12.6 (x2)
•OSX 10.11 & 10.12
•Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (x2)
•16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (x2)
•HD Native PCIe (x2)
•HD Omni (x2)
•192 i/o
•96 i/o
•4 Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
•Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI)
Old 02-04-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know of any 5.1/Surround sound related courses for Post Production (UK or online).
Am updating this request for 2014?

Need a Pro Tools based surround sound course for Junior Post Production Engineer Staff Development.

Anyone know of any where in, or near London?