Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Anyone Else Hearing a Fuzzy Phasing Thing in EXP with High Gain Patches?

^ It might be a more acute manifestation of the same thing, but 1,000,000 times worse since yesterday.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Anyone Else Hearing a Fuzzy Phasing Thing in EXP with High Gain Patches?

I am hearing it as well on my system. I thought it was my ears, but on just about every high gain factory patch there is a smear (for lack of a better term) that trails into some nasty digital artifacts as the noise gate kicks in on sustained notes.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM

I noticed it right away when I installed the EXP. I started out playing the cleaner amps (for several hours) and could tell something wasn't right (something smeary and fuzzy going on), but I was really enjoying the new models and new effects. When I hit the RC Boost for the first time, it really came out and I went into "Rut roh" mode.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:28 PM

I couldn't make out what you were talking about in your first clip, but I certainly hear it in your second clip.

hmm. It doesn't sound very good at all. Can you share your settings at I'll try to recreate it here. Or is it a factory patch?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:34 PM

^ The second clip is the factory Browntown patch. Switch the amp to the Plexi Variac and the cabinet to the 4x12 20W to really bring it out.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM

I think what you are hearing is frequency cancelation between the two channels (vol 1 and vol 2) of the Plexi head. The effect will be more pronounced with a brighter sounding mic/cab combo. Try turning either volume 1 or 2 all the way down and listen again.

I'm sure Chris can give a better explanation though :)
Old 03-24-2011, 02:01 AM

Frequency cancelation between two channels, that's a good one.
That could explain the effect. And it will act like a comb filter if there is a slight delay between the two channels. I'll see what happens if I turn one of the channels down

Leon
Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 AM

So, I checked it out:

cancellation of the two channels does cause this phasing sound.
I think this is natural behaviour, and it is "as designed".

I did not notice this before because in my case there is allways one channel much stronger than the other in my plexi-patches.

Leon
Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonb View Post
So, I checked it out:

cancellation of the two channels does cause this phasing sound.
I think this is natural behaviour, and it is "as designed".

I did not notice this before because in my case there is allways one channel much stronger than the other in my plexi-patches.

Leon
Yes the Plexi's behave like this in the "real world" too
Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM

^ Not mine, but that's a debate for another day.

Here is a very glamorous clip of me tuning my E and A strings. Old plexi model. Gain 1 turned all the way up. Gain 2 turned all the way down. 25W 4x12 cab. True-Z on 1M. Speaker breakup on 0.

I'm going to try to revert to 1.3 now to see if that fixes it. My 11R is completely useless now.

http://soundcloud.com/stvnscott/phaseytuning-11r-guitar