Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 PM
adamqlw adamqlw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 493
Default Will there be an official manual for the ERXP?

I was just wondering if there would be some official documentation for the ERXP. Some of the new features (dynamic delay, para EQ, speaker breakup) have quite a few knobs or non-linear functions. A proper guide would be nice.

Maybe Avid can commission Benoni to write it
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Benoni's Avatar
Benoni Benoni is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right Behind YOU!!
Posts: 9,629
Default Re: Will there be an official manual for the ERXP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqlw View Post
I was just wondering if there would be some official documentation for the ERXP. Some of the new features (dynamic delay, para EQ, speaker breakup) have quite a few knobs or non-linear functions. A proper guide would be nice.

Maybe Avid can commission Benoni to write it
they already have it wrote.

To better understand the Parametric EQ i suggest going to Youtube and looking up a vid that shows one with a graphical example, so you can "see" the changes being made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaIvzbV40MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HjYskicZRw
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:44 AM
Vercingetorix Vercingetorix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rural NSW, Australia
Posts: 966
Default Re: Will there be an official manual for the ERXP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
they already have it wrote.

To better understand the Parametric EQ i suggest going to Youtube and looking up a vid that shows one with a graphical example, so you can "see" the changes being made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaIvzbV40MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HjYskicZRw
Benoni, I find your videos being more helpful than most. Like the FCB/11Prom which I have bought and waiting to arrive. So would you consider putting together a multi-part vid series showing us how to use the Para EQ. Like, for instance, trying a cop a tone and using PEQ to sculpt the tone to get it close.

Please, please, pretty please .
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 AM
guitardom guitardom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Will there be an official manual for the ERXP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Benoni, I find your videos being more helpful than most. Like the FCB/11Prom which I have bought and waiting to arrive. So would you consider putting together a multi-part vid series showing us how to use the Para EQ. Like, for instance, trying a cop a tone and using PEQ to sculpt the tone to get it close.

Please, please, pretty please .
The reality of eq'ing a guitar is one of those things that is insanely situation dependant. It why you have mixers like Joe Barressi and Michael Wagner who are hired so often for their ability to craft guitar tones. Go study those guys if you want to hear tones!

Plus the variation of gtrs and style. The eq on my les Paul is drastically different from my ibanez petrucci model. The eq needed for a rectifier is light years different from even the same company's mark series or Marshall. The mic and cabinet dictate a lot of this as well. Active pups are tighter than passive pups and typically brighter as well.

I have spent the last over 15 years of my life on this and have come to learn there are no rules! I can guarantee 5 guys will eq things 5 different ways. Plus a album mix eq is going to be different from a live eq.....ugghh

Look up mixermans guitars from hell. That might give you some more insight. Experience, time, more time, and experimenting.

Roll off the lows for control and woofiness, anywhere up to maybe 100hz, but typically that high only in mixes. Low mid 100-600 roughly for boxiness and woofiness. Mid range 1k to 3k for clarity and nasal. 3-5k for bite. That's about as good as much as can be told on paper.
__________________

pro-tools-pc.com


TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2011, 05:57 AM
Vercingetorix Vercingetorix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rural NSW, Australia
Posts: 966
Default Re: Will there be an official manual for the ERXP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
The reality of eq'ing a guitar is one of those things that is insanely situation dependant. It why you have mixers like Joe Barressi and Michael Wagner who are hired so often for their ability to craft guitar tones. Go study those guys if you want to hear tones!

Plus the variation of gtrs and style. The eq on my les Paul is drastically different from my ibanez petrucci model. The eq needed for a rectifier is light years different from even the same company's mark series or Marshall. The mic and cabinet dictate a lot of this as well. Active pups are tighter than passive pups and typically brighter as well.

I have spent the last over 15 years of my life on this and have come to learn there are no rules! I can guarantee 5 guys will eq things 5 different ways. Plus a album mix eq is going to be different from a live eq.....ugghh

Look up mixermans guitars from hell. That might give you some more insight. Experience, time, more time, and experimenting.

Roll off the lows for control and woofiness, anywhere up to maybe 100hz, but typically that high only in mixes. Low mid 100-600 roughly for boxiness and woofiness. Mid range 1k to 3k for clarity and nasal. 3-5k for bite. That's about as good as much as can be told on paper.
You may well be right. I have never touched a Para EQ ever. So this will be a first for me.

But I am not talking about us crafting a tone that is suitable for reecording or all getting the same tone that's impossible. Just Benoni showing us how to use the PEQ by going after a particular tone preferably metal. Say using a metal tone from the Mesa and how he would be able to modify using the Para EQ rather than the five band EQ we have at the moment to cop say ... a Metallica tone for lack of a better name. Or sculpting the PEQ along with the five band. Is that even possible?

I'm at a loss to describe what I am after - just something to show me the ropes of a PEQ. And how much it can change the original tone.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 AM
guitardom guitardom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Will there be an official manual for the ERXP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
You may well be right. I have never touched a Para EQ ever. So this will be a first for me.

But I am not talking about us crafting a tone that is suitable for reecording or all getting the same tone that's impossible. Just Benoni showing us how to use the PEQ by going after a particular tone preferably metal. Say using a metal tone from the Mesa and how he would be able to modify using the Para EQ rather than the five band EQ we have at the moment to cop say ... a Metallica tone for lack of a better name. Or sculpting the PEQ along with the five band. Is that even possible?

I'm at a loss to describe what I am after - just something to show me the ropes of a PEQ. And how much it can change the original tone.
Remember digi eqIII in pt is para. It has presets you can look at and experimen with
__________________

pro-tools-pc.com


TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 AM
sunburst79 sunburst79 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Posts: 12,763
Default Re: Will there be an official manual for the ERXP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Remember digi eqIII in pt is para. It has presets you can look at and experimen with
I agree. EQIII sounds great and its easy to use and understand with a graphical representation of the EQ curve. The easiest way to figure out how to use any EQ is to just use it when mixing. Another great way to get a handle on it is to use it surgicaly to help with things like squeaky acoustics. Vocal pops etc.

Other than that there are no rules other than if you find your self using lots and lots of EQ you might want to re examine your miking techniques.

And the Mixerman stuff is good for the entertainment value if nothing else.
__________________
Scott

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 AM
guitardom guitardom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Will there be an official manual for the ERXP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I agree. EQIII sounds great and its easy to use and understand with a graphical representation of the EQ curve. The easiest way to figure out how to use any EQ is to just use it when mixing. Another great way to get a handle on it is to use it surgicaly to help with things like squeaky acoustics. Vocal pops etc.

Other than that there are no rules other than if you find your self using lots and lots of EQ you might want to re examine your miking techniques.

And the Mixerman stuff is good for the entertainment value if nothing else.
His books are quite entertaining to say the least. His new one, zen and the art of mixing I would whole heartedly recommend to anyone new to the entire process or still in the young stages of experimenting and learning what does what in the mixing and recoding field. Even some cool advice in the song writing field. I took quite a bit out of it myself though a couple chapters were pretty boring due to my experience level. I know what eq's, compressors and such do and know the parameters, have worked on tape and many things like that. But it's a huge plethora of info all wrapped in brash and colorful writing

Actually I think it's distorted guitars from hell.
__________________

pro-tools-pc.com


TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD 10 No Boxed version no manual where can I get a manual HD10 phatbeatstudio Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 4 12-26-2011 01:01 AM
Erxp mia? ac30fan Eleven Rack 3 11-08-2011 05:37 PM
What if new 11R does not come with ERXP? dperreten Eleven Rack 20 10-20-2011 03:36 PM
new manual for ERXP? timos Eleven Rack 7 03-31-2011 04:10 PM
$99??? Erxp Marshall881 Eleven Rack 3 03-23-2011 12:34 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com