Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Random Crashes with a new twist

I think I may have the solution. Should have thought of this earlier! I can instantiate an instance of Reaper on an instrument track, and then instantiate instances of Play on that, and just route the audio back to a PT Aux track from there. I think if I do this for just the choirs with worldbuilder, the issues will go away! Anyway, I'm going to give it a go and let you all know.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I think I may have the solution. Should have thought of this earlier! I can instantiate an instance of Reaper on an instrument track, and then instantiate instances of Play on that, and just route the audio back to a PT Aux track from there. I think if I do this for just the choirs with worldbuilder, the issues will go away! Anyway, I'm going to give it a go and let you all know.
thats an interesting workflow .. standing by !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-14-2017, 10:19 AM

I could also host in Patchwork. I'm going to try both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-14-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I could also host in Patchwork. I'm going to try both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have both the original Patchwork and the new one I'd suggest trying the older one first - I've had several crashes with the standalone new one hosting vst format plugins. au format was okay but you're being on Windows you don't have that option (Mac OSX 10.9.5 here).

QAPLA!
Old 04-15-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If you have both the original Patchwork and the new one I'd suggest trying the older one first - I've had several crashes with the standalone new one hosting vst format plugins. au format was okay but you're being on Windows you don't have that option (Mac OSX 10.9.5 here).
I'm able to host EW in Bluecat (I have the older version, haven't updated yet), but can't get it to play from MIDI track. Usually, I just instantiate a VST in BC, point MIDI track to it, record arm the MIDI track, and play the VST VI in BC. For some reason, that isn't working with the EW at all...ANY library. I've set the BC to receive on MIDI ch 1, set the MIDI track to that, but nothing. I can't even use the virtual keyboard at the bottom of the EW instrument. When I click on a key, it doesn't even show it being played, and no sound either. Not sure why. Its VST3, so I wonder if taht makes a difference? BC hosts VST3, I use it all the time with my Motif XS Editor for that. I"m guessing there's some other thing I need to set up in Patchwork to get it to work right, but I can't think what that might be.

It does work in Reaper, though there's some MIDI routing that needs to be figured out. I'll report on that in Virtual Instruments forum later. What I do notice is that CPU usage is less with EW hosted in Reaper via Rewire than directly on instrument tracks in PT. I found that interesting.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I'm able to host EW in Bluecat (I have the older version, haven't updated yet), but can't get it to play from MIDI track. Usually, I just instantiate a VST in BC, point MIDI track to it, record arm the MIDI track, and play the VST VI in BC. For some reason, that isn't working with the EW at all...ANY library. I've set the BC to receive on MIDI ch 1, set the MIDI track to that, but nothing. I can't even use the virtual keyboard at the bottom of the EW instrument. When I click on a key, it doesn't even show it being played, and no sound either. Not sure why. Its VST3, so I wonder if taht makes a difference? BC hosts VST3, I use it all the time with my Motif XS Editor for that. I"m guessing there's some other thing I need to set up in Patchwork to get it to work right, but I can't think what that might be.

It does work in Reaper, though there's some MIDI routing that needs to be figured out. I'll report on that in Virtual Instruments forum later. What I do notice is that CPU usage is less with EW hosted in Reaper via Rewire than directly on instrument tracks in PT. I found that interesting.
Remember that installing Patchwork actually installs three variants: standalone, one for hosting fx and one for vi's. Make sure you're using the latter. Vst2, vst3 shouldn't matter one way or the other. Blue Cat made the specific version when people started trying to run vi's inside the original plugin and were having issues. That may well be your problem.

QAPLA!