Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 PM

Default how to get MIDI with OMNI

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to PT, just bought my new OMNI+HD Native Thunderbolt bundle, since there is no MIDI ports in OMNI, what is the best solution to use MIDI. I am a keyboard player and have a KORG Pa800, M3 and X50, if there is a way I can use one of my keyboards as a MIDI controler that would save me some bucks to spend on other gear if you think I have to buy a MIDI keyboard please suggest one.

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 AM

Default Re: how to get MIDI with OMNI

I use Roland UM-3G USB MIDI interface and a MOTU MIDI interface. Both work well with OSX 10.8.x (ML) and in Pro Tools 10HD.

While this is just a speculation I guess they will both work okay under PT11(HD) as well.

I have a Korg KronosX keyboard and use extensive VI libraries such as EW/QL, VSL and NI stuff so my expectations for PT11(HD) are quite high. From what I read PT11 should be my "salvation".
Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 AM

Since your in a Mac forum, USB-MIDI from your keyboards or a MIDI to USB interface.
Audio-MIDI setup is in your System/applications/utilities folder

Add midi or instrument track and have some fun.

Pro Tools menu "Help" has the wonderful Pro Tools Reference guide that = the Manual....
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 AM

Been a while since I've done this rant, so here goes...

There is a lot of confusion regarding MIDI, and here's the big one...

While the MIDI specification does define a connector (the familiar 5-pin DIN), MIDI primarily defines a protocol, which is a means for devices to "understand" each other.

With apologies to our non-US friends (but you have a similar situation), you are familiar with the standard wall power outlet that you plug your Marshall or iPod Mini charger into. These outlets provide 110 +/- volts of AC power.

And you've probably seen the old lightbulb sockets like those in your basement or garage (sometimes they have a "pull chain" to turn them on and off). And these sockets provide...wait for it...110 +/- volts of AC power!

So, we have one protocol (110 +/- volts AC), but two different types of connectors (wall outlets and light bulb sockets). Admittedly "110 VAC" is a far simpler protocal than is MIDI, but the same principles apply.

Back in the days when dinosaurs ruled the earth and computers were hand-cranked, there was no USB. The guys who were defining the MDI standard needed a simple and inexpensive connector to allow MIDI devices to connect to computers...they settled on a 5-pin DIN connector ("DIN" is a set of standards the German folks came up with when they weren't making great beer and raising beautiful women...but I digress...).

But the 5-pin DIN connector isn't required by anything in the MIDI protocol (not to be confused with the MIDI standard), it's just the one the guys who wrote the MIDI standard decided on in days of yore.

But when USB came along, and the "U" stands for "universal", somebody figured that USB connections might be a good way to send MIDI signals to and from computers (and it is).

But whether the signal goes to/from the computer via: 5-pin DIN connectors or through USB connectors, it's all the same MIDI. And the USB connector can simultaneously be used for other things, such as providing power to a small MIDI keyboard or sending other types of signals between two devices.

So, most MIDI device manufacturers now include USB connectors in addition to (or instead of) 5-pin DIN connectors. Just follow the instructions in your MIDI device manual as it is sometimes necessary to install a special driver on your computer, and you can use MIDI without a 5-pin MIDI connector in sight...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Zubair,

All 3 of your keyboards have usb connectors, so they will all work. Choose which keyboard you like the feel of best.

Connect the keyboard to the computer using the usb cord.

On your Mac, go to: Applications>Utilities>Audio Midi setup.

Click "rescan devices" and should recognize the keyboard. From then on, the computer should recognize your keyboard whenever you have a program open.

You'll also be able to play other programs like Garageband, without Protools open and just using your Mac's built in output.