Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Uhmm, what does "on'eim" mean? Please enlighten me.

update:

A quote from former duc and Gearslutz poster Keybeeetsss:

"(Ok, On'eim is like when u say, "The Eagles & Cowboys game wasn't even close; The Eagles put a whoopin "ON'EIM")"

however:

He also says [in his same post],

"I'M ON'EIM..."

So, can we safely conclude that the dude is just yanking everyone's chain, that the on'eim is gibberish, that it makes no sense whatsoever, and that the mystery is therefore solved by default? Or is there an identifiable meaning?

I am investigating further. Any help is welcome.

Possible prizes now include FruitSnacks, a Toyoda, and perhaps a chance to meet Tamara [although the last one is iffy, since, based on Top Jimmy's revelation, Tamara appears to be difficult to locate and she has potentially dangerous friends].

MD

Last edited by mightyduck; 06-18-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Thanks, but I do not understand this.

Like what does on'eim actually stand for?

Or is it just gibberish?

Is it supposed to convey some meaning?

Thanks for your help with this important and mysterious matter. We are trying to locate a Toyoda.

MD
So hopefully to put this thread to rest, there is no secret or "inside" info regarding keybeetsss' enthusiasm for using "on'eim". I always interpreted the meaning to be near "on them", though I'm not certain how key pronounced his favorite saying since he inserted an "i" in there. I also noted that he would use the saying in ways the "on them" was not so good an interpretation so I made the assumption that he was using it much like "booyakasha", "word up", "step off" or something similar. Hence the description as trash talk.

Anyone who was an active lurker during keybeetsss' heyday I'm sure would have glommed onto his intent in usage so that's why I say that it's no secret. This was just one of the facets his personality that made key a unique and valued member of this forum.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-19-2018, 03:35 AM

This thread is like a 2008 time capsule. The DUC was pretty fun back then, a lot of people from that era are still here, but many have moved on.... Perhaps the departed had to sign NDA's (No DUC'ing agreements). I might be willing to explain the mysterious origins of "That close bit sound" if someone can get Keeeybeeets to say hello to us on this thread.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:25 AM

Unfortunately the original HOBO lifetime NDA (enforceable throughout the known universe) prohibits the actual true meaning of "on'eim" to ever be divulged. It will therefore be impossible to ever truly answer this most important question publicly.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-19-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
This thread is like a 2008 time capsule. The DUC was pretty fun back then, a lot of people from that era are still here, but many have moved on.... Perhaps the departed had to sign NDA's (No DUC'ing agreements). I might be willing to explain the mysterious origins of "That close bit sound" if someone can get Keeeybeeets to say hello to us on this thread.
Is "That close bit sound" an actual thing? Are you saying it is the meaning of on'eim? Please PM me with any additional information that may be too sensitive to post publicly.

A mystery within a mystery!

As to Mr. Beeetzzzz, I may be wrong, but he seems to have abandoned forum posting, or something like that. He may be with Tamara [or perhaps looking for her].

Mighty

Last edited by mightyduck; 06-19-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
So hopefully to put this thread to rest, there is no secret or "inside" info regarding keybeetsss' enthusiasm for using "on'eim". I always interpreted the meaning to be near "on them", though I'm not certain how key pronounced his favorite saying since he inserted an "i" in there. I also noted that he would use the saying in ways the "on them" was not so good an interpretation so I made the assumption that he was using it much like "booyakasha", "word up", "step off" or something similar. Hence the description as trash talk.
Given the above information, I am ever more convinced of the conclusion that on'eim means nothing, and that mr. beeetzzz is just trying to yank everyone's chain and / or act cool.

Mighty
Old 06-19-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Unfortunately the original HOBO lifetime NDA (enforceable throughout the known universe) prohibits the actual true meaning of "on'eim" to ever be divulged. It will therefore be impossible to ever truly answer this most important question publicly.
With all due respect, I do not believe there is currently any such word as "inforcible", other than maybe in the insurance industry.

More importantly, I do not think there is any such word as on'eim. It is also not hobonics. I checked the hobonics manual and could not find it.

I believe the answer to the mystery is that Mr. Beeetzzz is just trying to yank everyone's chain by pretending to say something while actually saying nothing.

Mighty
Old 06-20-2018, 07:27 AM

Sloppy spelling corrected. Thanks, Mighty.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-20-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Is "That close bit sound" an actual thing? Are you saying it is the meaning of on'eim? Please PM me with any additional information that may be too sensitive to post publicly.

A mystery within a mystery!

As to Mr. Beeetzzzz, I may be wrong, but he seems to have abandoned forum posting, or something like that. He may be with Tamara [or perhaps looking for her].

Mighty
"That close bit sound" came from an online review of a piece of gear that used 24-bit converters. The review stated that the 24-bit converters sounded so much better because the bits were closer together than those of the audio used in 16-bit or 20-bit converters. Someone commented "yeah dude, I totally dig that close-bit sound." I think it was on gearslutz, but I can't remember exactly where I saw it. Regardless, I thought it was funny enough to use as my signature on this forum for a while.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
"That close bit sound" came from an online review of a piece of gear that used 24-bit converters. The review stated that the 24-bit converters sounded so much better because the bits were closer together than those of the audio used in 16-bit or 20-bit converters. Someone commented "yeah dude, I totally dig that close-bit sound." I think it was on gearslutz, but I can't remember exactly where I saw it. Regardless, I thought it was funny enough to use as my signature on this forum for a while.
Ha! Well, the bits are kind of "closer together". I mean, I think I know what the guy means, but calling it "that close bit sound" is funny.

Remembering reading endless debates and diatribes on the Mastering Forum at GS. :). I wonder if its still going on over there.

Mighty