Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2020, 07:52 AM

Default Dante Controller and "Pro-Tools-First" Issue

Hello, everyone;
I´m trying to route Channel´s outputs on Pro-Tools-First.
After making the first assignment, (Routing to the 1-2 Dante TX), the other Dante TX channels 3-4 , 5-6 and 7-8 just turn themselves unavailable.

Is it a limitation of Pro-Tools-First? Or is it possible for me to use the other TX Dante channels?

Thanks a lot;
Marco
Old 11-28-2020, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Dante Controller and "Pro-Tools-First" Issue

Not sure. Can you post a screen shot of your IO setup? What is PTF using as its "audio engine". It is certainly true that PT[First is severely limited in many ways. To the point where I would never recommend it for any serious work. While some users might find all they need in PTF, any serious user will outgrow it really quickly(its really not much more than a tease to get you to buy the regular version, which I highly recommend). The fact that you are using Dante suggests that you're a pro, and require "pro" tools(apologies for the bad pun). Having said that, the best tool for you might not even be Pro Tools.

What are your needs and expectations? What computer and interface do you have? What DAW's have you tried(and what did you like or hate about them)?
Lots to consider

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-28-2020, 10:16 PM

I don’t see it listed in any of the specs or comparisons, but if 1st only supports 4 simultaneous inputs, does it even support more than 2 simultaneous outputs?

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-29-2020, 07:53 AM

Hello, everyone;
At "First", (no bad pun also
I´d like to say I´m thankful for your attention here, really appreciate that, thank You.
You betcha, can consider myself an experienced user, been trough Pro-Tools since the 888´s era (really miss that time, feeling nostagious here).
The reasons why I´m trying to run a connection between Pro Tools First and Dante are noble and described below;

I´d like to convince the managers of the department I work for, to buy, own and migrate to Pro-Tools.
I work for a TV broadcast environment.
We have three standalone studios with Yamaha Ql-5, using only analog connection.
Im planning a system that would use Pro Tools and Dante to establish a communication between the three Studios, once that is already a robust network connection through all the building.
I need to run a demonstration to the managers, to show the system working on runtime.
I´ve already established the connection, patched the Yamaha QL-5, made the correct assignents on Dante Controller, everything OK.
But when trying to route the channel´s outputs, Pro tools First accepts only (Dante TX 1-2), or (Dante TX 3-4), or (Dante TX 5-6) or (Dante TX 7-8), one at a time. Two ore more diffrent assignments are unavailable.
Although, once established the connection, it runs smooth and sound.
If I could be able to run this connection on Pro Tools First, just once, as a demonstration to the managers of the department, I´m sure they will migrate to Pro Tools Platform buying hardware,DAWS and licenses. (And maybe I would be hugely pleased with a little reward from Avid, for playing for the team since 2001 :)

Once again, thank you all for your attention. Any help on this issue would still be appreciated

King regards,
Marco (The Neverknow)
Old 11-29-2020, 08:24 AM

Hmmmm, that does paint a different picture. Hopefully, someone that has more relatable experience will chime in, but my initial thought is that it would be much better to demo the "real thing" as we all agree that First would not be the final goal. IOW, I suspect the limitations of First will not help your cause, and will not allow the demonstration that you want to present. I would start by having a conversation with a Avid dealer that specializes in this kind of setup(which leaves out Guitar Center and every other MI dealer). Dale Pro Audio(NYC) and Parsons Audio(Wellesley, MA) are 2 that fit that bill. I would bet that it will take serious effort to make this demo work the way you expect, and probably also require multiple licenses of Pro Tools, and maybe some Dante hardware. I'll be watching this thread too, and hopefully someone has better news for you

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-29-2020, 04:36 PM

I still can’t discern whether he’s using Dante enabled hardware, or Dante Virtual Soundcard. I also can’t tell if he’s referring to inputs into Pro Tools First, or outputs from Pro Tools First. Pro Tools First is limited to 4 inputs. I find it highly unlikely that it allows more than 2 outputs.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-30-2020, 04:36 AM

Why don't you get a trial version of protools or protools ultimate? You just need an ilok account. The trial runs for 30 days, at least it did that a year ago or so. Should be enough time for your demonstration.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:30 AM

Hello;
i´m using Dante virtual Soundcard.The patcher on Dante Controller and the internal patches on the QL5 were ok.
The goal is to route 3 our four OUTPUTS from Pro-Tools to 2 or four diffrent channels on the Yamaha QL5.
But as told above, Pro-Tools-First was only allowing me to route 1 output at a time.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:01 AM

Hello, everyone;
I´d like to Thank You all again, for the feedback and attention.
Unfort, Things just got worse here.
Right now, after trying to pacth again the same connection between Yamaha QL5 and the Dante Virtual soundcard, (that was partially OK last Friday) I´ve got another two different error messages, as described on the screen prints attached on this message.

1) "The selected audio device could not be initializes, please follow another device"

2) AAE error -6117 was encountered

I´ve tried to hit the "n" key several times on launch, in wish to select another audio device (just to get pro-tools-first running anyway, with its default card).
But now, Pro-Tools-First just does not open at all, neither with dante controller or with the defauld card.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DUC Soundcard Error.jpg (26.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DUC AAE Error.jpg (25.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-30-2020, 08:28 AM

Other folks have already said this... but again... you are wasting your time and maybe your credibility at work trying to use Pro Tools First. Including because nobody on DUC who knows what they are doing, especially with Dante, is going to be running First and likely able to help you. Folks practically cannot even have First installed on a system with real Pro Tools so most folks here just cannot help.

You should be using the free one month trial of Pro Tools Ultimate, or if you need more you can subscribe month to month... that should be a trivial cost compared to your time.

But even better as others have suggested you should be talking to a dealer, and any good dealer should be helping you--starting by making sure they understand your final goals. The immediate question I have with Pro Tools in a Dante digital mixer environment is the CoreAudio/ASIO 32 IO limit of Pro Tools. If you want more than 32 IO you will need something like an Avid MTRX Digilink interface to Dante and Pro Tools Ultimate. Lets say ~$10k. And do you have computers compatible with HD Native or HDX cards to do that with? Many things here a dealer should be helping you understand.

Pro Tools First is also just such crippleware that I would never want to demo it in a professional environment, it has no compatibility with Pro Tools sessions, and uses unreliable cloud based projects. So unreliable I would never want to rely on it for a demo.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-30-2020 at 08:54 AM.