Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-26-2020, 05:58 PM

Default Re: HDX-II What are the chances?

Yeah, companies after spending $10k -100k on one or multiple MP7.1's within two/three years move to an ARM Mac.....Lol

Avid can't even keep up with the present version and 8 year old HDX.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
What's in the chassis that requires more speed? Yes TB3 is twice as fast as TB2 but if there is PCIe 1.0 card in the chassis it requires max 8GBps (as in works full speed with TB1).

In principle though if a box has TB3 connector it should also have TB3 speed available.
Well for mobile daisychain would be nice. So you can hang a ssd raid off it. 1 power port. You have 3 left.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
Yeah, companies after spending $10k -100k on one or multiple MP7.1's within two/three years move to an ARM Mac.....Lol

Avid can't even keep up with the present version and 8 year old HDX.
I have a single room facility. I treat the computer there like a piece of gear. Once it works I dont mess with it. Just did the upgrade to 7,1. I don't see it changing for 5 to 7 years.

Tons of studios still on mac 5.1 w/ HD accell.

My laptop i change every couple years.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I have a single room facility. I treat the computer there like a piece of gear. Once it works I dont mess with it. Just did the upgrade to 7,1. I don't see it changing for 5 to 7 years.

Tons of studios still on mac 5.1 w/ HD accell.

My laptop i change every couple years.

Completely agree and that was my point pertaining to ARM Mac.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:07 AM

Current tower is great as it will likely get you through the transition nicely.

I myself had the infamous water-cooled last-generation G5 until it was replaced with 4,1 tower. Great decision in hindsight. And while you can never plan the future by the past, buying the 7,1 now is the best recommendation I can give now.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You know folks here who would have any idea could not say... and everybody else speaking up including me is clueless. My 2c guess is Avid is going to have it's hands a little full dealing with the Mac ARM transition for some while and it's not likely have anything new coming in a while. It's also my impression that most (or all) of the folks who worked on HD Native and HDX are no longer with the company. I'm not even sure it makes sense to do a PCIe card HDX II for a while or maybe at all. Maybe the current card can just chug on.

Eventually Avid needs to get off Digilink, I could for example image a future there where things transition to USB4/Thunderbolt 3 interfaces or USB4/Thunderbolt3 outboard processors. Maybe leveraging Dante for IO connectivity (moving to MTRX at least gives those boxes a scalable non Digilink connection).

OK sorry to make your head hurt. If you can get a HDX card cheap and want it I would grab it. Make sure a HDX1 will be big enough for your needs.

Quote:
My 2c guess is Avid is going to have it's hands a little full dealing with the Mac ARM transition for some while and it's not likely have anything new coming in a while
Do you mean when Avid had their hands full Avid knew for sometime that a new Mac Pro was going to be introduced and Apple marketed about working with Avid for 6 HDX cards?

Quote:
I could for example image a future there where things transition to USB4/Thunderbolt 3 interfaces or USB4/Thunderbolt3 outboard processors.
This idea was brought up many times on the Avid before HDX.....we got more PCIe cards with third party cases.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:08 PM

Avid always have their hands full, just where the focus is sometimes is a mystery
Old 06-27-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
Do you mean when Avid had their hands full Avid knew for sometime that a new Mac Pro was going to be introduced and Apple marketed about working with Avid for 6 HDX cards?
Gee are there 6 HDX cards supported yet I admit I dosed off.

And how are those voice counts going on HDX?

I know Avid had to invest all that work in Pro Tools First, and buggy Avid Link and even buggier Cloud storage that does not work. I hope somebody gets fired for doing all that crap vs. actually fixing core issues.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:40 PM

And sarcasm off please. HDX6 may work but not supported yet. And when/if it is best bet is voice counts HDX3 max
Old 06-27-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
And sarcasm off please. HDX6 may work but not supported yet. And when/if it is best bet is voice counts HDX3 max
Your unfailing support for Avid is uh impressive, I guess (that was sarcastic).