Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-19-2018, 05:58 AM

Default AAE - 20021 was encountered?

Hi there,

I keep getting this error on a medium sized film session, 136 tracks, Pro Res Proxy Video.

Does anyone know what it means?
I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

It causes a total freeze out, the error just pops up whenever you press play after the first time and the only exit is a re-boot.

Version computer etc in my sig.
Thanks.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:54 AM

Default Re: AAE - 20021 was encountered?

Hi there,

I've seen this frequently on 2 different rigs in 2 different mixing theatres both on 12.8.3 HDX2 and 2018.3 also HDX (can't recall of it was 2 or 3) never on native systems so far so until now I thought it's an HDX thing.

Couldn't find the error listed on avid.com

No idea what it means. But yes, I've seen it.

F.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Thanks Frank,

Good to know its not just me.

I'll use the support ticket I pay the subscription for, ask Avid & let you know what I find out.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:27 PM

I think it is an installer error and when we had a few - 20001 and - 20021 errors I trashed preferences and databases after doing a quick reinstall of PT12HD over the same version on Mac but on PC you would need to unistall the version before installing over the old one.

I would trash it up first and see if thats enough. If the error persists you might need to reinstall PT.

Also make sure you have read/write privileges set to both on the hard drives you use for PT which has thrown up errors for many. The - 20001 code disappeared after doing this and the - 20021 disappeared after trashing and installing.

@Avid - Why can't you make a AAE Error List and stick it here and on your support website so everyone can look up what all these error codes mean.
Searches show very few of these codes and users should have easy access to information like this since most are easy to solve as long as we can find them and not spend days asking and googling as it is time consuming and annoying!!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-27-2020, 12:41 PM

Hello,

I just encountered this in a regular mixing session, not for movies, just a regular song.

Shortly before the error occured I got the message that there was "too much automation" from pro tools. However after error "AAE - 20021" occured the session was unuseable instantly.

The fix, for me, was easy.. I just didn't save the changes, restarted the project, did eeeeverything exactly as I did before. None of the errors reoccured.. goes to show, the weirdest things happen without a proper reason sometimes - in Pro tools.

However if anyone encounters this error I suggest first trying not saving, closing Pro Tools and retracing your steps. Worked for me.

*edit*
I want to add that it wasn't much that I did.. muting a plugin, adding two compressors, loading specific presets, changing the settings (I remembered the exact numbers) and that's it. I did EXACTLY the same things again, in the same order. So it is impossible to be a user-error, it's a pro tools error and is not reproducable.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:08 AM

Yes, it's random and there's no fix other than restarting the session. But it will come back. It's totally random and has been like that for at least 3 years now.

More here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406497
Old 11-06-2020, 07:36 AM

Updating this old thread.
I recently became so frustrated with this 20021 and other random crashes right when I was in a fast flow of working, that I've tried using Video Slave rather than the AVE.
I've long suspected that the AVE may be what causes a lot of these errors, regardless of what they call themselves in the error numbers. Particularly when editing quickly and stopping and starting play fast.
Anyhow touch wood, using Video Slave seems to have made all my errors disappear, for now at least.
I don't find it quite as snappy as the internal video and you get picture shredding when scrubbing fast, but it seems to have given my sessions a new lease of life. PT is much more responsive without the video choking it up.

FNA, it worries me that you say you had the dreaded 20021 in a session without video. Did you still have the AVE enabled even though you weren't using pictures?
Old 11-07-2020, 11:51 AM

Video on other Satellite rig. The offending session without video yes.

Funny you mention this today. After a couple of weeks without the error, it came back today...only once so far.

But the newest annoyance is PT being unable to loop more than 10 times before throwing up an error. It's new in 20.9.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412418

F.