Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Exclamation Talkback

Hey how u all doin,

i need help once again, not much but little.
i have got a new Command|8 controller,
all i would like to know how do i get a talk back with the below given setup

003 Rack
Protools 7.4
Command|8

i need the simple and the best way, if it can be routed thru command|8
then it would be great else no issues....

and i am not interested to buy any new hardware at all for this talk back thing
but yes i do have a microphone

Please reply asap i am stuck in the middle of a contact and i dont want to loose it just for this little thing...

and thanks to all in advance who would be helping me out....
-----------------
Old 06-05-2009, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Talkback

For talkback I just set up an extra audio track called "TB" and keep a mic plugged into one of the inputs on my 002 on the desk. Route that input to the TB track and when you want to say something to the talent just hit the record enable button.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgehring View Post
For talkback I just set up an extra audio track called "TB" and keep a mic plugged into one of the inputs on my 002 on the desk. Route that input to the TB track and when you want to say something to the talent just hit the record enable button.
I have a similar way of doing it without eating up a voice. Use a Mono Aux track. Mute and unmute to talk.

I usually setup a "trigger" inside protools (which will eat up an additional voice) to turn the TB mic on and off as you stop and start protools, that way it isn't "on" when protools is playing or recording. And is always "on" when protools is stopped.

To do the trigger thing... create a mono audio track. Select something like 10 minutes within the track (or something large enough where it extends past the last note of the song). Open up the Audiosuite Noise Generator. Create a 1KHz Sine at 0dB (or -2dB or -10dB, whatever you want). The sine wave will then fill the space of the selection on the new track. This sine wave track now becomes your "trigger" track. Assign it's output to bus 32 (or some other unused bus). Put a Digi Dyn/Compressor 3 on the Aux. Set it's Key input to bus 32 (or the bus you used) and click on the little button that looks like a key on the right side of the plugin. Pull the threshold all the way down as far as it will go. Set the ratio as high as it will go. Attack time of maybe 1ms or less, release time of 1second or so. leave any other settings at their default.

When you hit play or record, the sine wave triggers the compressor and pulls the volume of the talkback mic down so far that you can't hear it at all. When you stop it will come back up and everyone can hear it.

If you have a separate headphone mix for the musicians coming out A 3-4. You can assign the talkback mic aux to output A3-4 instead of A 1-2 and then you won't have to worry about the mic feeding back in the control room. If not then you'll have to manually turn down the control room level on the C|8.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:40 PM

I seem to remember a 3rd party talkback plugin that would mute the talkback mic/track whenever the transport was engaged. I just use a Presonus Central Station with a footswitch(built-in talkback mic)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 PM

from Massey
http://www.smassey.com/plugin.html

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-06-2009, 05:46 AM

Thanks for the reply....
don't u think doing the same thing wit an Aux channel would be more
better cuz then we would be on a safer side of by mistake recording the talk back.

but what i really wanted to know can we drive the talk back from the command |8
-----------------
Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 PM

what do you mean by "drive"? There is no talkback button on the command 8, but if you jump to the TB track you can mute and unmute it on the command|8. It's not as integrated as the C|24's talkback..but you can still make it work.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
what do you mean by "drive"? There is no talkback button on the command 8, but if you jump to the TB track you can mute and unmute it on the command|8. It's not as integrated as the C|24's talkback..but you can still make it work.
well by the term "Drive" i ment to route the signal thru command|8, and i guess your idea to automate the talkback is nice ill try that out...

thanks for te reply
-----------------
Old 06-07-2009, 04:59 AM

The Behringer MON800 Stereo Monitor Mixer, is a simple solution that works well, I have a footswitch connected to operate it.