Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 08-03-2020, 02:55 PM

Default Eleven Rack and Roland Octa Capture

Sorry if this is a really basic question.
I would like to be able to use my Octa Capture USB audio interface in conjunction with my Eleven Rack to expand my capability to have multiple studio monitor outputs for referencing (since the Eleven rack only has one main output path).
I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to do this or if it's possible both from a physical routing standpoint and the patchbay. I have tried setting up an aggregate device on my mac but that leads to constant crashing in pro tools when attempting to switch between the 2.

Current specs:
Hardware:
Eleven Rack
Roland Octa Capture
Macbook Pro late 2015
Software:
Pro Tools 12.7
3.1GHZ intel core i7
16gigs ram
Old 08-03-2020, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack and Roland Octa Capture

Hi Welcome to DUC.

The common way of hanging the Eleven Rack off this wouldbe to use S/PDIF out and in to connect to the Eleven Rack. Luckily your interface has S/PDIF on coaxial connectors so easy to do. Be sure to use RCA "digital" 75 ohm cables or "video cables" not audio cables.

You need to set the playback engine to the Octa interface, and the Eleven Rack will not show up in your IO in Pro Tools, its purely an outboard device. If reamping you set the Eleven Rack to use S/PDIF In as rig input, And your wet track records S/PDIF Out, that you set up to mirror main out or IIRC to be rig output. You need to read through the Eleven Rack guide to see how to do this, it's well covered there.

If recording from guitar into the Eleven Rack Guitar input you may want to set the S/PDIF output to be split dry/wet and record each to seperate tracks in Pro Tools. Again the Eleven Rack Guide covers all this.

What you likely do *not* want to to is try aggregating the CoreAudio devices. Just a bad bad idea.

If you want to use the Eleven Rack editor software you can separately have the Eleven Rack connected via USB to your computer, but that is just for the MIDI control of the Eleven Rack, it's not being used as an audio interface. Start by getting this all working *without* using the editor.

If all this is new to you, get one thing working at a time. Like start by working out how to get any signal out of the S/PIDIF Out on the Eleven Rack and into a track in Pro Tools. (Set Octa to clock from the S/PDIF input in this case). And just use a guitar input to the Eleven Rack.