Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-29-2009, 05:18 AM

Default best drum trigger for EZDrummer, Reason, or Addictive Drums

Can anyone make a recommendation for a trigger for the above programs?

thanks!
Nick
Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 AM

Default Re: best drum trigger for EZDrummer, Reason, or Addictive Drums

what about triger-finger by M-Audio?

Probably hard to do rolls or snare grace notes with?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:30 AM

+1 for the M-Audio trigger finger. The beauty of this is; you have 5 pages of pad assignments so you can take one page and assign each drum to 2 pads. With 2 pads for each, doing two handed fills works very well. The only drawback is that getting the pads assigned is a one-time pain in the ***.(but once its done, its very cool). I also have a full Roland V-kit that I use a bit and many real drummers will play it with excellent results(I am NOT a real drummer). The main thing to remember(for non-drummers) is to try to think like a drummer and not program something that a human could not play.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 AM

I'm using a Roland V-Kit for Superior Drummer and EZ Drummer. So far, it's the best combo.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 AM

Would I be better off buying an Alesis DM5 or the Trigger Finger? I wonder if real sticks beating on the Alesis Electric Drum set as a trigger would sound better than tapping fingers on the Trigger Finger or other finger pad set?

Would I need more than this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alesis-DM5-PAD-S...3A1%7C294%3A50

to get rolling or would that connect right out of the box to a VI drum kit like Reason etc?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksorenson View Post
Would I be better off buying an Alesis DM5 or the Trigger Finger? I wonder if real sticks beating on the Alesis Electric Drum set as a trigger would sound better than tapping fingers on the Trigger Finger or other finger pad set?
No difference in sound. It boils down to the person programming. Do you like to play like a drummer, or sit at your desk and knock out quick patterns. I do both depending on how much time I have(sitting at a kit takes me longer). As for using a Roland kit with real cymbals and hat, that's the best of both worlds right there.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-29-2009, 12:53 PM

I use the AKAI MPD24 with BFD and Reason and love it. I'll build a custom NNXT kit with map the snares and toms to two pads each so that fills are a breeze.

I would love to move up to the Roland VKit one day. I hear the new Alesis kit is pretty good too.... real drum heads and real cymbals.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBProKit

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 05-29-2009, 03:35 PM

I would go with mesh heads if possible. I realize they're more expensive, but drummers will appreciate these for sure. I bought some mesh heads from Hart (who make them for the Roland V Drum kits) and they rule! I also use a Trigger Finger, as i'm not a drummer either, and it's great. Yes, a pain to program the first time, but way better than playing beats on a keyboard! Pretty cheap as well. The DM5 IMHO is outdated as far as the sounds and I noticed that the note length is not assignable either, so when you see the MIDI notes in PT they are tiny circles with X's in them! Sure you can go back and change the note durations in PT, but....
Anyone using the Alesis I/O MIDI thing?

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ace?sku=449754
Old 03-28-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy35 View Post
I would go with mesh heads if possible. I realize they're more expensive, but drummers will appreciate these for sure. I bought some mesh heads from Hart (who make them for the Roland V Drum kits) and they rule! I also use a Trigger Finger, as i'm not a drummer either, and it's great. Yes, a pain to program the first time, but way better than playing beats on a keyboard! Pretty cheap as well. The DM5 IMHO is outdated as far as the sounds and I noticed that the note length is not assignable either, so when you see the MIDI notes in PT they are tiny circles with X's in them! Sure you can go back and change the note durations in PT, but....
Anyone using the Alesis I/O MIDI thing?

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ace?sku=449754
I just got the Alesis Trigger IO and at first, was going to return it. It was not working well with Battery at all. Could not get the settings dialed in to get that "feel". Well, I changed my mind after installing the BFD Lite software that came with it. It's actually pretty good now! My triggers are also Alesis DM10 triggers so take that into account.

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub