Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Default Advantages of Templates vs. Saved Sessions

Running PT 11.3 on a 2010 MacPro, 16 gigs of RAM and 4 internal drives ...

I record short VO segments. I have things set up to record the raw (unprocessed) input on one track and then a RT processed bounce on a second track.

I continuously use the same session each time I need to record new segment(s). When I'm done I save out the session in it's current state. Typically I'll delete all files before saving and quitting.

Are there are performance disadvantages working this way as opposed to (instead) starting with a new Session (by way of a Template) each time I need to record?

In other words - is it advisable to continue to use the same Session, or would I be better off creating new Sessions?

Thanks.

-paul.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Advantages of Templates vs. Saved Sessions

Do you delete the files from your 'clip list'? This would be the downside, that you will slowly build up audio files in your clip list. Are you just deleting the tracks from the edit window?

From an organization standpoint, it's more efficient and easier to manage new sessions (via templates). But in reality, it's whatever works for you.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Do you delete the files from your 'clip list'? This would be the downside, that you will slowly build up audio files in your clip list. Are you just deleting the tracks from the edit window?

From an organization standpoint, it's more efficient and easier to manage new sessions (via templates). But in reality, it's whatever works for you.
Thanks. Yeah - I do delete all files from clip list before saving and quitting. I'm just wondering if the continuous use of a saved Session would be less than ideal in terms of performance compared to always starting off with a fresh Session ...

-paul.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:35 AM

It shouldn't make any difference really, just in the even that you end up with a corrupt session, but that would be easy to fix.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-30-2014, 12:00 PM

Templates are much better at getting the files into the new session folder than the hit and very miss of recycling an old session

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-30-2014, 05:31 PM

I get a little concerned when recycling a session that I'll make a disk allocation mistake. I check obsessively, but feel a bit safer with templates. Still, whatever works for your workflow is fine...

Best,
Rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-30-2014, 05:47 PM

The easiest way for me is to:

- Create a session and set it up to use as a template
- Create new sessions for each project
- Use "Import Session Data" and import all of the tracks you would like to use into the new session.

Disk allocation will remain the same as how you set it up in the new session. I'm not sure what you are working on but I'd be terrified to be continually using the same session over and over again.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:16 PM

Default Advantages of Templates vs. Saved Sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zull View Post
- Create a session and set it up to use as a template

- Create new sessions for each project

- Use "Import Session Data" and import all of the tracks you would like to use into the new session.

I just began doing this after years of creating sessions from ground zero.

This is such a timesaver even the little details of track color can be imported, and just like everybody else is the same track color on the same type of tracks going back a long time
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:31 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great tips and comments.

-paul.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I just began doing this after years of creating sessions from ground zero.

This is such a timesaver even the little details of track color can be imported, and just like everybody else is the same track color on the same type of tracks going back a long time
When I was doing alot of hip-hop, rap, and pop vocal sessions, using templates saved me an enormous amount of time. The typical setup would be around 128 tracks, with groups of four or five tracks sent to a stereo aux track, inserts and sends on the aux tracks, Edit/Mix groups already setup, send effects ready to go, etc. Instead of taking half an hour before every session to set it up, I was ready to go in less than five minutes.