Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 PM

Default Help! Need advice on getting a used PT HD system

First off, what exactly do I need? 1)pci-e core card 2)audio interface 3) cables and software. Now my question is I am looking to get a HD 1 pci-e card. Now can I use any of the I/O (interfaces) or is this pci-e card limited to one particular interface. In addition what cables do I need to get? For inputs do I need a snake cable or can I use the OMNI that just came out. I really hope that I can use a number of HD audio interfaces from digidesign. So if you want I would love it if anyone would give me a step by step. I also saw an interface for HD on ebay that had 8 XLR mic preamps which is what I really would love. BTW - if you get a snake cable with XLR inputs how to initiate phantom power? I would really appreciate it if you guys who are way smarter than me to tell me what I need to do.

I would appreciate it if you would email me at [email protected]

Again main question what HD interfaces can I use with a PT HD PCI-e card?

Last edited by mowdyman; 09-13-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: more stuff to add!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Help! Need advice on getting a used PT HD system

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdyman View Post
First off, what exactly do I need? 1)pci-e core card 2)audio interface 3) cables and software. Now my question is I am looking to get a HD 1 pci-e card. Now can I use any of the I/O (interfaces) or is this pci-e card limited to one particular interface. In addition what cables do I need to get? For inputs do I need a snake cable or can I use the OMNI that just came out. I really hope that I can use a number of HD audio interfaces from digidesign. So if you want I would love it if anyone would give me a step by step. I also saw an interface for HD on ebay that had 8 XLR mic preamps which is what I really would love. BTW - if you get a snake cable with XLR inputs how to initiate phantom power? I would really appreciate it if you guys who are way smarter than me to tell me what I need to do.

I would appreciate it if you would email me at [email protected]

Again main question what HD interfaces can I use with a PT HD PCI-e card?
Hi,

You can use any HD interface! (except the Digidesign Pre which does not connect directly to the PCIe card!!)

the 192 has the Digisnake connection for analogue i/o plus 8 channel AES/TDIF or ADAT digital
The 96 has 8 analogue i/o on 1/4 TRS jacks. plus 8 channel AES or ADAT digital
the 192 digital has 16 digital on AES/TDIF/ADAT

Or The new OMNI interface!!

all interfaces use the same connection cable. the Digidesign Digilink

you can have 2 interfaces connected to each PCIe card. by chaining the second interface off the first with the

The "Digidesign Pre" has 8 mic inputs but as mentioned it does not connect directly to a HD card.
Phantom power is provided from the Pre-amp!! the digidesign pre doesn't use the digisnake it has XLR inputs.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.